Anyone using Nero?

Haven't used Nero in years, bloated way out of proportion and haven't looked back.. I'm sure it works but it turned into an 'everything and the kitchen sink' application.  There's tons of decent similar tools that (in my opinion) function way better.  

I think you should change the question to "Anyone using discs?".

Yup.  Keep various OS's on them for installation (or slipstreams for faster re-installation).  Works on everything, got a few servers here that don't have USB ports and no real desire to set up a PXE environment. (And I think a few of my systems don't support that either.)  Music or videos and such though, naw not in quite a few years.

Nope, i've not really burned any CD's / DVD's for years now. If i was going to i would use ImgBurn, its free and does the job perfectly.

it was the BEST.  then it became bloated and added tons of stuff that was useless to me.

now i just don't burn discs anymore.   what is the point when everything has usb

InsaneNutter, on 12 Sept 2014 - 09:42, said:

Nope, i've not really burned any CD's / DVD's for years now. If i was going to i would use ImgBurn, its free and does the job perfectly.

omg, I have the same experience and I use as well imgburn if I need to burn a cd or dvd. Nero was popular back from 1999 to 2006. I think I have not use Nero since 2008.

• Like 1

I use ImgBurn for pretty much everything. Burning CDs, DVDs, and BluRays.

I don't burn video, only data, so I'm not sure if Nero has anything useful in the video side of things.

Damn, Nero. I used the love using it.

Yeah back before the bloat it was fantastic.

• Like 2

it was the BEST.  then it became bloated and added tons of stuff that was useless to me.

now i just don't burn discs anymore.   what is the point when everything has usb

Yup, everything now is in usb thumb drive or isos... I don't deal with dics anymore.

I use disc for archival backups primarily. USB is cool for transferring data when I don't have GIGe between the devices, but really isn't a great place for backups meant to last a while. HDDs aren't either as you have the whole bitrot issue to contend with.

LogicalApex, on 12 Sept 2014 - 09:57, said:

I use disc for archival backups primarily. USB is cool for transferring data when I don't have GIGe between the devices, but really isn't a great place for backups meant to last a while. HDDs aren't either as you have the whole bitrot issue to contend with.

what about USB thumb drives?

what about USB thumb drives?

I don't trust them for long-term backups. I have had too many die suddenly.

I still burn movies for my parents and a few friends who still watch movies using a DVD/BluRay player.

I actually tried setting them up with a streaming solution and it was just to much for them to grasp.

My parents are very blue collar so never grew up with computers at all, so for them it is just much easier to have that physical disk to put in and press play.

I'd imagine there are still some people in my situation as well. Although computers are very common place for a lot of people, there are still some people who do not use them at all.

tape is better ;)

I have wanted to do tape, but can't justify spending over $1K on a tape backup system. Discs are far more affordable.

• Like 1

I have wanted to do tape, but can't justify spending over $1K on a tape backup system. Discs are far more affordable.

reliabily of dvd writeable and re-writeable have proven to be pretty bad.   i cannot remember the exact details, but they tend to fail as they age a LOT

not sure how it compared with usb drives though...  anyone knows??

reliabily of dvd writeable and re-writeable have proven to be pretty bad. i cannot remember the exact details, but they tend to fail as they age a LOT

not sure how it compared with usb drives though... anyone knows??

Well, I can speak only from my own experience owning brand names USB thumb drives. They never fail on me. I don't use it all the time, maybe once every three or six months and they are so far reliable. I had not touch a disc in a year.

reliabily of dvd writeable and re-writeable have proven to be pretty bad. i cannot remember the exact details, but they tend to fail as they age a LOT

not sure how it compared with usb drives though... anyone knows??

Very true. I have started using M-Disc to counter this risk, but I still add recovery data to the discs just to be sure.

• Like 1