Anyone using Nero?

Well, I can speak only from my own experience owning brand names USB thumb drives. They never fail on me. I don't use it all the time, maybe once every three or six months and they are so far reliable. I had not touch a disc in a year.

i had 2 drives die at me at the most critical moment without a warning. the were expensive high speed name brands! 

in fact now i don't buy super high speed.... i think a mid range would be more reliable.... 

i lost both data and expensive drives that proved not easy to replace at all

Very true. I have started using M-Disc to counter this risk, but I still add recovery data to the discs just to be sure.

cool.  i will have to check out this m-disc

my dad has being working on the family photo archive that is going back 100 years.    he put 6 month of everyday work in it.  scanning and retouching every photo, one by one.

if the hdd (and backup hdd) fails...  he will not take it well at all.

i put it on the cloud... but even then i am not sure...

cool. i will have to check out this m-disc

my dad has being working on the family photo archive that is going back 100 years. he put 6 month of everyday work in it. scanning and retouching every photo, one by one.

if the hdd (and backup hdd) fails... he will not take it well at all.

i put it on the cloud... but even then i am not sure...

Place it on something like an M-Disc and store the disk in a jewel case and it should last reasonably well. The cloud is something I have yet to embrace mainly because it doesn't have a great track record. Companies cut these things off and you risk losing data as time goes on. Your critical data shouldn't be at risk of loss.

I find discs last well if you store them right. But I haven't yet used M-Disc long enough to say if the claims hold. I waited for them to introduce BluRay options so I am fresh to their product.

• Like 1

I use ImgBurn for pretty much everything. Burning CDs, DVDs, and BluRays.

I don't burn video, only data, so I'm not sure if Nero has anything useful in the video side of things.

You can just copy-paste stuff nowadays directly to the disc. Or mark everything and then pick to burn them on the disc. No need for third-party apps.

That is if you're just burning usual data. For media-specific discs, you'll probably still need to use an app.

Wow... Use to be Good'Ole Nero.... I use to use that back in the day.

The last burning suite I purchased was Ashampoo Burning Studio 9 back in 2010.

reliabily of dvd writeable and re-writeable have proven to be pretty bad.   i cannot remember the exact details, but they tend to fail as they age a LOT

not sure how it compared with usb drives though...  anyone knows??

I think you're thinking of the report about CD's where the data foil gets eaten up by bacteria. On DVDs the foil is between plastic and much more safe. Still they're not recommended for long term storage unless you make a new cop every 5 years.

I think you're thinking of the report about CD's where the data foil gets eaten up by bacteria. On DVDs the foil is between plastic and much more safe. Still they're not recommended for long term storage unless you make a new cop every 5 years.

not sure about bacteria...

but you are right!   the guaranteed storage was 5 years.... which is too little.  i want my grand grand children to have access to my dad's photo archive.  self preservation i guess, if only in memory..

panacea, on 12 Sept 2014 - 12:20, said:panacea, on 12 Sept 2014 - 12:20, said:

i want my grand grand children to have access to my dad's photo archive.  self preservation i guess, if only in memory..

If these are very important for you, then why not purchase a 3TB HDD or whatever size you think will work, put the photos in and just leave it in a safe place. Also purchase one of these USB HDD enclosure, so in the future when you have kids or grand kids... you will be able to show to them the photos. HDD can last forever in a safe place.