Formula E Championship 2014-15 Season

I'm just not really liking these track layouts, they are so straight, 90 degree left/right. Where are the fast flowing curves, hair pins and elevation changes?

If the rest of the season and other seasons to come are as boring as the first race, I won't be tuning in for very long :(

I'm just not really liking these track layouts, they are so straight, 90 degree left/right. Where are the fast flowing curves, hair pins and elevation changes?

If the rest of the season and other seasons to come are as boring as the first race, I won't be tuning in for very long :(

Yeah, the street circuits aren't doing them any favours. The test race at Donington showed how good it can be on an actual circuit. I'd love to see them race at Brands Hatch.

On a side note, the FanBoost is now up for Putrajaya: http://fanboost.fiaformulae.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Formula E's decision to drop pre-race formation laps has been met with a mixed response from the drivers.

The first race in Beijing featured a traditional formation lap, but it wound up being too slow thanks to teams and drivers being highly mindful of the 28kW per hour limit on the battery output.

The series has since decided to the drop the idea of a formation lap entirely, with the cars to complete a 'to-grid' lap from the pits, before lining up on the main straight pre-race, five rows back from their starting position.

They will then be driven the last few metres to the actual grid boxes before the race is started.

While the drivers admitted they understand the reasoning for the decision, it has not been met with universal popularity.

"In my opinion, from a spectacle point of view it's the right way to go, but from a sporting perspective it is not the way to go," said Beijing winner Lucas di Grassi.

"Me, personally, I would like to work on my brakes, and see how the car is before the start of the race."

Jaime Alguersuari agreed with the Brazilian's views: "Yes, we will save some energy, but at the same time we will just have 10 or 15 metres before we reach the grid spot.

"If we have an issue with the sensors or the electronics, which happens quite often, then we could have cars stopped on the grid.

"And that's a problem when the race starts. These kind of things are always a problem and a worry."

Sebastian Buemi, meanwhile, thinks the format should work fine.

"I'd prefer a nice normal lap 'to grid', where you can feel the car a little bit, and it doesn't count towards the 28kW you're allowed in the race," said Buemi.

"You reset everything on the grid, and then you do a proper start straight away. Who cares about the formation lap."

Karun Chandhok said the pre-race procedure needs some tweaking.

"From a driver's standpoint it makes life more difficult, because of the carbon brakes, you can't get any temperature in them.

"So the first corner is going to be a bit of a mess, possibly.

"But anybody who watched the race from Beijing, they would have turned on at the warm-up lap and thought they'd have time to get a cup of tea, and then realised they could have made a whole breakfast. So, it needed addressing.

"We have the 28kWs, which in the regulations includes the warm-up lap and the whole race. But if they just changed the 28-zero to the start of the race, then we could have both.

"For me that would be the solution; we could do the warm-up lap, and as we pull up on the grid we zero it, and away we go."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116884

Expect first corner carnage tomorrow.

Ptrajaya ePrix Practice

post-151617-0-18752200-1416660479.png

Ptrajaya ePrix Qualifying

post-151617-0-01331000-1416660499.png

Ptrajaya ePrix Race

post-151617-0-45178500-1416660511.png

Drivers of the race: Sam Bird for simply being unstoppable for most of the race, and Lucas Di Grassi for going from last to 2nd.

Reject of the race: Katherine Legge for taking out herself and Michela Cerruti.

Honourable mention to Team Andretti too for their pit stop ingenuity. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFPt25goBXk

• 3 weeks later...

post-151617-0-66914200-1418492080.jpg

*Senna's excluded from qualifying, as the team worked on his car during a time window they weren't allowed to.

post-151617-0-34818000-1418499848.png

Driver of the Race: Jean-Eric Vergne - Bad luck pretty much denied him the win on his debut ePrix.

Reject of the Race: Everyone who got a penalty for either using more power than allowed or speeding in the pit lane.

• 3 weeks later...

Ex-Formula 1 driver Franck Montagny fears his motorsport career may be over after testing positive for a derivative of cocaine.

The former Super Aguri driver, who started the inaugural 2014-15 Formula E season with Andretti Autosport, has been suspended from competition pending final confirmation of any sanction.

According to French newspaper L'Equipe, Montagny has not contested the result of a test carried out after the second Formula E round in Malaysia on November 22 2014.

"Auto sport is perhaps over for me," the Frenchman is quoted as saying.

"At the end of the race, I see the guy who tests signalling me. There, in my head, I understood immediately. I knew it was dead.

"I was ashamed."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117253

• 3 weeks later...