Best cloud storage option with the following options:

Hi

My journey home on the train has been spent looking into ways to start backing up data to the cloud.  I?m not looking to back everything up but I?d like certain folders to be uploaded at times when it?s convenient for me.

My basic requirements are:

1. Let me choose the folders I backup ? don?t pre-select folders such as Desktop, Pictures and Music
  2. If I back a folder up accidently then give me the option to easily remove it
  3. Let me choose to run a backup or schedule a backup
  4. Have good security ? if the government want to open my files then that?s fine but I don?t want to find out in 6 months? time that hackers have cracked a stupid old piece of code that everyone was using and my private(ish) details are now available for the highest bidder.

I?ve given crashplan and Carbonite a go ? Crashplan has a horrible UI and simply wont let me remove folders it accidently backed up ? even when I follow the instructions.  Carbonite has some nice features but it won?t display what I have backed up ? it tells me I have certain files on my D: drive backed up but after that it just says ?this folder is empty? ? it?s not.

Thanks

There really isn't a magical wall that allows the government access, but excludes hackers from having access. Unless you encrypt your data prior to uploading it to whatever service you use then everyone who has access to that data will be able to view it. That could be the company itself, government via whatever means they allow, and/or hackers who illegally gain access. Securing your data is your responsibility.

I'll let others chime in on the rest.

• Like 2

do you use Windows, OSX, Linux, Solaris, other OS? because depending the OS you are using for the backups, that will narrow your choices.

Also you can use owncloud and host your own data, if you have a fast internet access. Or encrypt the whole drive and upload the files with peace of mind, since all the data is encrypted... there is plenty of choices, in fact.

you might wanna use a regular cloud service like mediafire for example.. or you could get a backupsy server or something

I'm using Windows, was thinking about OneDrive as at least it's intergrated.

onedrive for business is costing 2.5? per month right now, for 1TB of data. And it's deep integrated with Office 2013 / 365 so it's a good choice if it's your case.

dropbox for business costs much more (12?), but offers unlimited cloud storage, data audits and more, so in the long run it can be more cheaper.

there are many more out there as well. :)

Decided to go with Google Drive

Not to be an *** but you being so conserned with your "private(ish)" data and you are going with Google drive? Well those dont really match to be honest. Not to even mention the latest gmail attack, no one can say "That wont happen to Google Drive"

Not to be an *** but you being so conserned with your "private(ish)" data and you are going with Google drive? Well those dont really match to be honest. Not to even mention the latest gmail attack, no one can say "That wont happen to Google Drive"

True and I appreciate your comment.  In all honesty, I guess it came down to three big players - Dropbox, Google and OneDrive.  I know OneDrive has a proper good look at what you are storing and I wonder how long Dropbox can remain competitive toward Google and Microsoft.  I tried SpiderOak but this will be my 4th day going back and forth with their help desk because I'm unable to create an account.

I would have thought Google would have been better than most when it comes to security now.

Stop spreading nonsensical FUD, Drive is as safe as OneDrive or Dropbox, SpiderOak is ok but realistically it's all the same, if it's absolutely necessary for it to be private, encrypt it yourself, end of question, so it all boils down to integration and features, and I've used them all, and now it's a combination of Drive, Dropbox and Box, I have redundancy and I don't keep anything truly sensitive in them or on my computer anymore 

Stop spreading nonsensical FUD, Drive is as safe as OneDrive or Dropbox, SpiderOak is ok but realistically it's all the same, if it's absolutely necessary for it to be private, encrypt it yourself, end of question, so it all boils down to integration and features, and I've used them all, and now it's a combination of Drive, Dropbox and Box, I have redundancy and I don't keep anything truly sensitive in them or on my computer anymore 

Had a look into that Google attack and seems it wasn't Google that was compromised at all so that's good.

I really wouldn't consider any of the could services you mention as a backup type service other than first 2 you said your looking for other options.

While I am a huge dropbox fan and user, I always run the current dev version 2.11.14 just came out for example.

While yes the files you put in the cloud are a different copy, and would be a "backup"  The services are really more meant as sharing/syncing services so you can share files, sync with multiple machines or even access your files from anywhere, etc.

For my "backup", lets call it more archive backup or DR even I use glacier from amazon.  This is where I keep my most critical of files in a worse case scenario recovery.  My multiple local copies all gone, my optical local is gone my remote optical copy also gone.. Chicago fire type disaster again..  Well my copy should still be on amazon glacier ;)

And at 0.01 a GB/month how do you go wrong with that - I use cloudberry desktop backup to backup the files to glacier $29 one time cost.  Works just like any other normal "backup" software.

I really wouldn't consider any of the could services you mention as a backup type service other than first 2 you said your looking for other options.

While I am a huge dropbox fan and user, I always run the current dev version 2.11.14 just came out for example.

While yes the files you put in the cloud are a different copy, and would be a "backup"  The services are really more meant as sharing/syncing services so you can share files, sync with multiple machines or even access your files from anywhere, etc.

For my "backup", lets call it more archive backup or DR even I use glacier from amazon.  This is where I keep my most critical of files in a worse case scenario recovery.  My multiple local copies all gone, my optical local is gone my remote optical copy also gone.. Chicago fire type disaster again..  Well my copy should still be on amazon glacier ;)

And at 0.01 a GB/month how do you go wrong with that - I use cloudberry desktop backup to backup the files to glacier $29 one time cost.  Works just like any other normal "backup" software.

Never thought of Glacier - will have a look into it.  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,
I don't know if this topic is still actual, but let me give you a suggestion.
I would recommend to use https://tresorit.com/ It's a secure cloud service I am using for a few months, and I am really staisfied with it.
So, if you are still looking for a proper cloud service, I think you won't regret trying it out ;)

My journey home on the train has been spent looking into ways to start backing up data to the cloud.  I?m not looking to back everything up but I?d like certain folders to be uploaded at times when it?s convenient for me.

My basic requirements are:

1. Let me choose the folders I backup ? don?t pre-select folders such as Desktop, Pictures and Music
  2. If I back a folder up accidently then give me the option to easily remove it
  3. Let me choose to run a backup or schedule a backup
  4. Have good security ? if the government want to open my files then that?s fine but I don?t want to find out in 6 months? time that hackers have cracked a stupid old piece of code that everyone was using and my private(ish) details are now available for the highest bidder.

IDrive meets all the requirements you listed. Haven't heard them mentioned in this thread however. You can choose which folders to backup, and backup from an unlimited amount of devices at no extra cost. They have a Scheduler that sets up backups by day and time over a single or recurring schedule. And in terms of security, they have ?military-grade 256 bit AES encryption? and they offer private key encryption, so no one, including IDrive, can access your data besides you. I've been with them for over a year and love how accessible and secure they've made my data. https://www.idrive.com/online-backup-security

Should have hosted your own "cloud" and gone with an open source solution.

i told him that! for backups there is plenty good solutions that provide redundancy and security.

i told him that! for backups there is plenty good solutions that provide redundancy and security.

Should have hosted your own "cloud" and gone with an open source solution.

But guys, how do we do that with no programming skills? Not everyone who uses NeoWin is a techie you know  :rofl:

But guys, how do we do that with no programming skills? Not everyone who uses NeoWin is a techie you know  :rofl:

there are plenty tutorials and documentation as well, for example owncloud:

Heck even if you go to the lazy route you can get a NAS by Western Digital, backup all you stuff and since it's a WD it has the MyCloud app so you can access the files outsite your network in a convenient way.

there are plenty tutorials and documentation as well, for example owncloud:

Heck even if you go to the lazy route you can get a NAS by Western Digital, backup all you stuff and since it's a WD it has the MyCloud app so you can access the files outsite your network in a convenient way.

Ah, thank you.