Great Find - Too Good to be True ?

You have to wonder why a pawn shop would sell something so cheap, them not being renowned for their charity ? Even if you bought it cheap sell it for a decent price, it's not like a pawn shop shouldn't know or be able to find out what it cost.

You have to wonder why a pawn shop would sell something so cheap, them not being renowned for their charity ? Even if you bought it cheap sell it for a decent price, it's not like a pawn shop shouldn't know or be able to find out what it cost.

Thats what I thought, those guys are normally on the up and up when it comes to a goods' street value.  However, I noticed he pulled out a calculator to assess the price.  Meaning he uses some formula to assess values, and it doesnt matter what the brand is.  Maybe in Garland, a ThinkPad doesnt mean anything..

They had a T62 there for $150 (approx 6-7 years old?) -

Now that I have Win 7 on there, I am really pleased with it -- battery looks to be around 4 hours - nice IMO

Anyone want to buy a 4 month old Carbon X1 ?  LOL - its collecting dust now :D

Massive bargain!!

A lot of these pawn shops don't know what they are dealing in with regards to technology and of course the future of technology, especially in the UK! In the UK you can buy top rate tablets/laptops/consoles for well within the asking price BRAND NEW pretty much. The only thing you can guarantee is they are well tested at least so they will function correctly.

• Like 2

it could also be sold by an x or family members of someone deceased or someone desperate

yeah it's also possible. still it's strange that the pawn shop sell it so low.

well, congrats!

As always Hawk & Logical throw up some really good posts -- but I like the other ones who secretly think I am going to Levinworth for buying stolen goods :rolleyes:

Tomorrow evening I'll post pics ..... from PRISON !!

I have no direct knowledge of it being stolen.  In fact, I assume it is completely legit as it is being sold by a store.

To say it has to be stolen was an assumption based on the fact it is so cheap.  I admitted to nothing.  And to think these posts would be "found" by authorities working a case of a $250 purchase of an item from a pawn store... I'd say you have been watching too much TV. 

Quite frankly I could care less if it was stolen. I was however absolutely pointing out what a hypocrite your were and I was saying it was clear to any members reading it, not the authorities, that you were clearly leaning towards the fact it was stolen.

I never once mentioned the authorities. You did.

Really I think you are the one who watches too much TV, as you felt the need to keep on referencing my post and making sure you proclaimed your innocence in the matter.

Good deals happen...

Similar to the Dell R620 I purchased last year for $1K that had dual Intel Xeon CPUs that were going for $2K+ per CPU at the time (not including the rest of the kit). The server was worth at least $7K or more. I too thought the server had to be stolen and it was just a too good to be true deal. The server owner was selling it and his wife told him it had to go. I confirmed this when I transferred the still active Dell Warranty into my name and provided his information. Dell confirmed it was his and transferred the warranty.

So sometimes deals happen.

It's being heavily discounted right now, but that was a very good deal as well.

Quite frankly I could care less if it was stolen. I was however absolutely pointing out what a hypocrite your were and I was saying it was clear to any members reading it, not the authorities, that you were clearly leaning towards the fact it was stolen.

I never once mentioned the authorities. You did.

Really I think you are the one who watches too much TV, as you felt the need to keep on referencing my post and making sure you proclaimed your innocence in the matter.

Dont watch TV -- I already know Im surrounded by idiocy

I hate when you go somewhere for advice on hardware, parts, anything item-wise, and people act like they are the cyber police and start accusing you of getting stolen things. If you don't have any input, then don't answer. It's quite simple. If you think it's sketchy, then keep that to yourself. You're not going to get a reward for sticking your nose where you don't think it belongs.

I hate when you go somewhere for advice on hardware, parts, anything item-wise, and people act like they are the cyber police and start accusing you of getting stolen things. If you don't have any input, then don't answer. It's quite simple. If you think it's sketchy, then keep that to yourself. You're not going to get a reward for sticking your nose where you don't think it belongs.

EXACTLY !!   Then they try to downplay their lame ways with semantics...  yeah, its kinda pathetic.  I guess some people feel empowered online and feel they need to cast their opinions on everyone & everything.... after all - they are safe behind their computer screen.

Then to exaggerate the # of times one references said post, (when there was only 1 reference) ... yeah, a pretty bad attempt.

(Of course, Im not referring to anyone in particular in this thread) /s