Not enough free space on TomTomStart 55 to update

Will probably get responses here that are just as good and much faster than on the TomTom forums, so will try asking this here.

How do you update a TT Start55 when you get an error saying there is not enough free space on your drive and TT can not fix it? I can find all kind of ways to do this but nothing that specifically is for my model.

I have 234MB's free out of 1.84GB's. I thought the maps just simply over wrote what ever was on it previously, so any updates should fit as long as the file wasn't larger than what my drive is?

Thank you

I had the same issue with my Garmin from 2008. In my case I had 2 GB of storage but it got to a point were the maps were just too big by just a little bit for my GPS. When I got the latest map update it wouldn't fit. So I went out got a new one that has more storage.

How old was that Garmin when the map got to big? I have a Garmin that is probably about that old, but it didn't come with free life time maps, is why I quit using that.

The map size itself isn't the issue with my TT as the whole update including gas stations, points of interest and other crap, is about 1.6-1.8GB's, which is about usual. My TT is a 2GB unit also as is the Garmin, but the Garmin has a SD card slot. The TT doesn't.

I have tried getting JUST the map itself, but that doesn't work either. I've seen from my searches that this is a very common issue, but most searches have different ways of doing things to get latest map installed.