ESET Question

Question

Is anybody else getting extremely slow downloads from ESET?  I try to download the anti-virus and it is going 10 KB/second for me.  Steam and other sites can download at 3 MB/second

EDIT -- the slow speed happens on both Windows and OS X.

6 answers to this question

Downloading ESET with around 5mbps, migth be faster but the download is finished before it reaches top speed :P

I tried the online and offline installer.

I don't have ESET, that is why I am trying to download it (re-installed Windows).  It says it will take 10 minutes to download the online installer, and 12 hours to download the offline installer :(  I get good speeds every other site I visit.

The eset online install is very slow as well as the updates.   I wouldn't say 10Kb/s, but it is probably around 1Mb/s or so....took minutes to download the updates vs seconds.

Hello,

As I understand it, ESET uses several internet service providers, networks and data centers to distribute its software and updates in order to avoid problems like this, however, there's always the possibility of a localized or regional network outage, peering problem, etc. that can cause this sort of problem.

If it happens again, I would suggest cancelling the update, closing down all other network-aware applications, starting a packet capture and performing the update.  While it's running, open an elevated Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and issue a "netstat -abn" command (sans quotes) to determine from where exactly it is that ESET's software is downloading its updates.  You can also run network diagnostic commands like  pathping , ping, and tracert to that host, and when they are finished, stop the packet capture.  Don't forget to take any screen captures showing the results of those network diagnostic utilities (or save them to a text file).

With all that information, you can then contact ESET's technical support and open a ticket with them to investigate the issue,  With the packet capture and those log files, it shouldn't take them that long to identify and resolve the problem.

By the way, this kind of network connectivity/speed troubleshooting is basically the same for any kind of network-centric program, so you can use it to investigate issues with other kinds of software as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by goretsky