Cannot boot my system (PICTURES ARE SHOWN)

Hello everyone,

My system won't boot and i have no idea why, before explaining what may have caused it, here is my system so far;

i7 930 cpu @ Default clocks

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R REV 2.0

Corsair xms3 ( 12 gb ram @ 2000 mhz, 24gb ram @ 1600 mhz, tried both of the rams on ram slots one by one and all together)

Gigabyte GTX 460 GPU

High power absolute 850 watt psu

EPW3R9.jpg

Okay now here is what i thought and what i did. I thought my case fans were running at a low rpm which is 600-800 so i wanted to connect them trough my psu rather than motherboard. (Later i found that those 600-800 rpm was totally fine...)

First of all i tried to connect my case fans to psu using this connector and lets call it (1) but it didn't work out,when i started my system case fans won't start.

UwZtwn.jpg

uc5734.jpg

So then i used this connector and plug my all 3 case fan into this and started my system with a success.Lets call this connector (2)

Z6RGdu.jpg

UVOpiN.jpg

Alright, everything is fine untill here but then i made a huge mistake and thought about why this connector worked and the first one did not?

So here is what i did. Just to try it i used one of my case fan for this. I connected both (1) and (2) into psu and then i connect (1) into my case fan and my case fan into the (2). Hit the power button and system started then suddenly went off in less than a seconds or so...I haven't seen any lighting or burning what so ever but now my system won't boot.

WahRNr.jpg

So what happens after is,i hit the power button system starts perfectly, electric goes trough all components, i hear one beep from motherboard speaker which means that everything is fine but system goes off by electric goes off before i see the bios screen and re-starts again and do this cycle over and over again.So i cannot enter bios screen.

To solve it,

-unplugged my case fans, no success,

-unplugged my rams and tried different rams on each ram slot, no success,

-unplugged everything except cpu and ram, no success,

-unplugged all of rams to see what will happen,if there is anything wrong with the psu,when there is no ram i know that system cannot boot but tried this in order to see if psu is fine, system started and electric didn't go off, everything runs on motherboard just no booting process.

-unplugged bios battery hit the clear cmos button on my motherboard, plugged it again after waiting about 10 mins, no success.

-unplugged my cpu and re-applied thermal component if cpu overheats, no success.

So i cannot understand where is the problem? I am stuck.I hear 1 beep from motherboard speaker but why won't it boot?

Would anyone kindly help me please?Thank you very very much in advance.

You have probably fried your PSU with the connections in the last picture (or pull those cables in the last picture off of the PSU if you haven't already and try to boot). If I understood correctly, you are holding cables "1" and "2" in your hand in the last picture, right?

So you connected both of those in to the PSU to form a loop and this is where everything went wrong. Nothing should really be connected "back" to the PSU to form a "loop".

Edit. The split connector you are calling number 1 is graphics card power adapter (2x molex to 6-pin) and is not supposed to be connected in to the PSU.

Try this:

• Remove CMOS battery
  • Reset CMOS (either jumper or button depending on what you have) for 20 seconds
  • Leave battery out
  • Try to power on the system and enter the BIOS

If that works, your BIOS/UEFI settings are corrupt.

If not, there's quite a bit of force on your GFX card looking at your photo and it might not be making a full connection with the PCI-E slot.

Try:

• Lay the case of the motherboard is level with the ground
  • Unscrew the GFX card PCI mounting bracket
  • Centre / level the card
  • Lightly tighten the PCI mounting bracket
  • Try powering it on

First of all thank you very much for your replies.

@Hebulba, I didn't know that those connectors were for gpu and you are right that i think that i created a loop which messed things up...

@ZakO No, i haven't tried it because when i remove all of ram from system so it won't boot, the electric didn't go off so i thought that there is nothing wrong with the psu.I will do the paperclip test and return the result.

@Aergan, i will try it now, thank you!

Btw i have to add one more thing about what i did to solve this problem.

-Unplugged all of my ram from system and then i tried each of the ram slot one by one.When i plug my ram into dimm1 or dimm3 or dimm5, i hear 1 short beep from motherboard and before the bios screen electric goes off and this cycle goes on.When i plug my ram into dimm2 or dimm4 or dimm6,i hear about 20-30 short beeps from motherboard and electric never goes off also there is no display on the screen.I just keep hearing the beeps and this cycles.

Let me try of your suggestions.

So i did the paperclip test and psu works just right,i think that there is nothing wrong with it.

I followed Aergan's suggestions and sadly didn't work out for me.I still have the same cycle which is system starts up, 1 short beep from motherboard, before bios screen electric goes off and system shut down then re-starts and do the same thing, cycle goes on.Interesting for me, as Aergans says, i followed on clearing cmos while gpu was on the motherboard, same cycle, then i unplugged the gpu and got an error from motherboard which is 1 long and 2 short beep which is a video card error when there is no gpu on motherboard.Here is what it means; "Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly.Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly."As this happens electric doesn't go off and i just hear the error from motherboard speaker.Is this something we should focus on?Btw i tried my gpu on both two x16 and two x8 slot same cycle.Sadly i cannot figure it out,where is the problem...

I used to have problems non stop with one of my previous builds. It would be hit and miss whether it started or not, tried all the obvious and usual troubleshooting steps to no avail. What would happen is I'd press the power button, the usual power cycle would start and would sometimes get to POST and then restart or restart before POSTing. If I ever used the reset switch on the PC or reset the PC via the OS this would also trigger the reboot loop.

I stumbled upon an article from TomsHardware (I'll see if I can find it once I'm home) and it turns out that this problem seems to happen quite a bit with Gigabyte Mobos and their dual-BIOS.

All the hardware (mobo being the only exception) is working fine in my new build - ASUS mobo.

Can't see the pictures at work - so I may be completely wrong as many people are noticing a problem with your PSU.

Edited by An_Englishman

Definitely need a new PSU.

That loop you ran will have cooked a rail or three. That would explain the boot issues.

At least the damage is likely localised to the PSU. It's possible you could have fried the motherboard too, but hopefully not.

You're very lucky this didn't turn out worse..

I reckon you`ve burnt out a rail on the power supply. Some power supplies have two seperate lines, try just using the minimum with one, probably noy going to work but may be worth a shot...

Edit: As above :)

p.s. Also unplug the power supply and have a good smell inside through the fan, does it smell burnt?

Hello again,

Thank you for spending a time and kindly replying back.At the moment i don't have another PSU but i will try to get one as soon as i can just to try it and will return the result whether it worked or not.About the dual bios on gigabyte,i really think that this is a problem with a booting process rather than a psu problem.Because i can make the system work forever getting into booting process and electricity never goes off or system shuts down.But it is a worth to try so i need to get another PSU as most of you suggested in this way.

@An_Englishman

I would really like to see that article, if you could find it, i would be more than happy!

Thank you to all of you!

Hello again,

Thank you for spending a time and kindly replying back.At the moment i don't have another PSU but i will try to get one as soon as i can just to try it and will return the result whether it worked or not.About the dual bios on gigabyte,i really think that this is a problem with a booting process rather than a psu problem.Because i can make the system work forever getting into booting process and electricity never goes off or system shuts down.But it is a worth to try so i need to get another PSU as most of you suggested in this way.

@An_Englishman

I would really like to see that article, if you could find it, i would be more than happy!

Thank you to all of you!

hello,

how do you do know that PSU is working at all? did you tried with a multimeter every rail? if not then how do you know?

for me that is a PSU problem, with one or more rails that got damaged.

hello,

how do you do know that PSU is working at all? did you tried with a multimeter every rail? if not then how do you know?

for me that is a PSU problem, with one or more rails that got damaged.

Hello,

I am not quite sure, i thought that because my main bios is corrupted and that is why it cannot boot, with different ram configuration system keeps the electiricty which i think psu is giving power all components need but booting process doesn't start. That is just a guess, i am trying to find another psu to try it.

Looking at the images when I got home I would have to agree with the others about the PSU being at fault here, nonetheless I have found said article.

It was the answer from MrBig55 that I found helpful and the OP was having a very similar problem to mine.

Oh dear Gigabyte user. I'm pleased to see that you got yourself a Gigabyte motherboard as I do. The difference is that I knew what I was looking for since I've been building computers for almost 15 years, and overclocking for 10 years already.

What you don't know is all the features this board offers and that prevents you from getting the exact cause. I'll clarify some features causing trouble with you.

- Gigabytes motherboard offers dual or quad BIOS. If it can't boot 3 times in a row, it will then reset to a backup of the BIOS. A 5 seconds power on then shutdown then reboot cycle will trigger it fast. The same apply if the board tried to boot and you held the power switch for 5 seconds before it could complete it's selftest. It will too revert to a backed up BIOS. All this is causing even more intermitent shutdowns and power ups and even explains why it powers on itself after you hold the power button 5 seconds, unless you know that feature.

- In the BIOS, it can be set so that when it looses power it powers on right away when power is back. You have to go look in the BIOS and change that setting if you don't want it. Again causing it to look intermitent behavior. All motherboards offer this feature.

- Also less known, my Gigabyte motherboard is suffering from cold boot when I do agressive overclock/underclock. I just need to power on the rig, then press DELETE key. It then goes into BIOS and I leave it heating there a few minutes. I then press the reset switch or CTRL+ALT+DELETE to reset the computer and wow it works ^^ Now if you didn't overclock/underclock/overvolt/undervolt, a coldboot bug is abnormal. Try the coldbootfix (remember the other features, if while in the BIOS you press the power switch, it can re-power up by itself... once you know... ^^) If you can go into the BIOS and confirm nothing is overclocked/underclocked/overvolted/undervolted and still the board suffers from coldboot, you can (and must!) return the motherboard to Gigabyte (or your local retailer you bought it to) and you'll get a replacement. The bug itself is like, you power on the computer, the fans start spinning, harddisks starts spinning but not ticking, the screen stays in standby and it won't ever shutdown nor boot. It doesn't beeps whatsoever looking pretty dull. That is a coldboot bug. Once the computer heated, it shall boot as normal, so even more intermitent behaviors there ^^.

So all that don't look as "features" for anyone not looking for them. Let's I overclock my rig and went too far. Once powered up, it can reboot a few times then revert back alone to a backuped BIOS where I could once again try lower overclock. I can also revert it myself to the backed BIOS by: pressing power, release, then holding it 5 seconds. it will shutdown then reboot. I do this 4 times rapidly so that it can't finish its selftest. See that features come into play. ^^ For an enthousiast it's fine and lazy features as we don't have to remove the batterie every time just to reset the BIOS over a bad overclock.

Also you said it was your first build and I think that most people's first build is never well built. Did you used proper screw mount underneath the motherboard?? Did you used the right screws that got with these screwmounts? Is any screw's head overlapping any motherboard circuitry (happens when screw's head is too big). Don't apply to much pressure on the screws as it will distord the motherboard, or make it touch the case in which it'll short-circuit for even more intermitent behaviors. A distorded case could touch the back of the board for the same effect. Double-check each power cable cause a loose one could cause what??? I think you know by now... intermitent behaviors.

So now you know some features, and about the coldboot bug, could you do some more testing for us. You'll probably recognize one or more of these patterns depending what you're doing. After some more testing, we could investigate a hardware failure cause an intermitent problem is one of the worst case scenario and can be about anything.

Looking at the images when I got home I would have to agree with the others about the PSU being at fault here, nonetheless I have found said article.

It was the answer from MrBig55 that I found helpful and the OP was having a very similar problem to mine.

Hello, thank you very much for your effort finding article and post.Btw i forced my main bios to kick for recovery from back-up bios and kind of f...ed the mainboard, with all smoke and fire...Now i definitely need a motherboard lol!!!

Although i tried a new psu and it was still the same so i am not that sad because i think that this problem related to motherboard anyway.Hopefully my other components are all fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, thank you very much for your effort finding article and post.Btw i forced my main bios to kick for recovery from back-up bios and kind of f...ed the mainboard, with all smoke and fire...Now i definitely need a motherboard lol!!!

Although i tried a new psu and it was still the same so i am not that sad because i think that this problem related to motherboard anyway.Hopefully my other components are all fine.

Remind me never to get you to build a computer for me! haha

Joking aside hope you get a working computer again!

I don't think I read if this was a brand new build or you were trying out something else? Did all of this happen because you "thought" the fans were running slow?

Sounds like a heck of a system too just burn up! :(