The reviews were always going to be mixed - people expect far more than what is actually being offered by any game at the moment... Destiny is a perfect example.

I'm sure Forza Horizon 2 is great fun but what does it do that Horizon didn't? I personally see no difference and don't see why so many sites are creaming over it.

Drive Club is a new IP and we all know that it will evolve as it's supported long after this week, ultimately making it a better game all round. 

The Eurogamer review (written by the editor of an Xbox site) is laughable, as is the Gamespot review. The best reviewers in my opinion, the ones who are fairest, are usually Videogamer.com. In my opinion they speak it how it is and they say that the game is light on content, needs a bit more, but it's still a great track racer. Seeing as DC is a track racer, that's good enough for me.

The reviews comparing it to FH2, DIRT, GRID, GT etc.. they need to stop, think and review the game on it's own merits.

It's okay to compare elements of the game, it is in the same genre, but it's also diverging into a sub-genre, that is track based arcade-sim. It was never touted to be open world, so to blatantly dock it points in that regards to Horizon I would disagree with. Begrudging the lack of weather compared to Horizon/GT at launch is a fair point, as Larry has already delved into.

Is it possible coming out of the door so soon after FH2 has been a bad plan, maybe, but Sony marketing clearly wanted to take that risk to have a driving game in-store at the same time. With there being a PS+ edition, most people have their way of deciding very easily, by playing, not by reading reviews.

I know you're having a go at individuals bias when it comes to reviews, but funnily enough, the site everyone likes to rag on as being pro-MS has actually rated DC higher than FH2  :rofl: Polygon 7.5 -http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/7/6570539/driveclub-review-ps4-playstation-4 Swings and roundabouts at times with sites.

Maybe there's a reason PGR died :/ Arcade based sims just not finding their place in amongst full on sim, full on arcade or open world?

PGR is imo one of the most overrated serie of all time. Could not play any of the game in the serie for more than 15 minutes. I would play Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit or Porsche Unleashed at 800x600 instead of PGR and i'm not joking.

Since Drive Club looks to be the spirtitual sequel to PGR i will probably hate it.

The reviews were always going to be mixed - people expect far more than what is actually being offered by any game at the moment... Destiny is a perfect example.

I'm sure Forza Horizon 2 is great fun but what does it do that Horizon didn't? I personally see no difference and don't see why so many sites are creaming over it.

I think Giant Bomb reviews are nice.

Not read/watched any of theirs.. I'll check them out, thanks for the suggestion

GB do not like the game, and are taking a bit of heat from their livestream from being lazy and still saying it's not clear what comes in PS+ edition, when everyone and their dogs have known crystal clear for weeks.

I like GB btw, just letting you know how it's heading for DC.

Interesting remark in regards to GB

Watching the Giant Bomb quicklook, seems a majority of the well-informed games media didn't even realize this is an arcade racer. And even despite realizing that it is an arcade racer, they can't reconcile that with the fact that it has a realistic visual style. Their brains are apparently incapable of understanding how that is possible.

I mean, Jeff Gerstmann even mentions how the game came with a pamphlet explaining to game journos that you can e-brake drift corners like an arcade racer, and still he doesn't understand why it was designed that way, and name-drops Gran Turismo in the video several times.

Just wrote this on Gaf, but I feel it is good enough to share here...

So far the overall negative consensus I am reading about this game is it does not do enough new things or social things or is not "next gen" enough to warrant a positive review score.

Well I don't know about the rest of you but I pretty much look for one thing out of a racing game (especially if it resides somewhere in the middle of arcade and simulation)... Having a good time while driving fast.

As such I feel for my own personal needs DC is going to very much meet my expectations, but if people really do need more out of the game itself then just the base premise of said game, they indeed may be disappointed.

I just feel like gaming journalists take things way too seriously at the end of the day. This is video games we are talking about. While they can in fact be very serious in nature, ultimately they are meant to be a fun experience. It is hard to write about fun without coming off as not very serious. As such they feel the need to be serious in order to be taken seriously. It is quite the catch 22. However being so serious goes against the very nature of video games in the first place. To have ######ing fun.

Pretty annoyed at The Metro for this remark, (Metro is a free UK newspaper that gets handed out)

5/10 from metro gamecentral

In Short: A game that should probably have been cancelled rather than delayed, with its complete absence of personality or new ideas.

Pros: The graphics are excellent and the driving model is a good balance between accessibility and realism. Plenty of cars, all of which look great.

Cons: Utterly soulless on every level, with a bland single-player experience and online options that seem oblivious to the fact that Autolog already exists.

That's just some plain up BS, and coming from a UK outlet to a UK dev, quite insulting.

Had a quick play at my friends today after work, yeah um first up... Not sure what the hell they wasted all that development time on but if you have FH don't bother picking this up at all until you're done and dusted on FH. I felt no need to go out and purchase this after a sit down with it. Maybe for those who don't have an xbox and are starved of racing games at the moment, but even then I wouldn't be paying full retail.

The amount of cars was most disapointing.. Severally actually. I didn't follow the develpment of this and didn't realise it was going to be so few in the games defence. I don't honestly see this IP continuing after this title.

I'm all for arcade racers,, But the best way to explain it, this left me with a 'watchdogs' feel in my mouth. Maybe even worse considering racing games are a passion for me.

Had a quick play at my friends today after work, yeah um first up... Not sure what the hell they wasted all that development time on but if you have FH don't bother picking this up at all until you're done and dusted on FH. I felt no need to go out and purchase this after a sit down with it. Maybe for those who don't have an xbox and are starved of racing games at the moment, but even then I wouldn't be paying full retail.

The amount of cars was most disapointing.. Severally actually. I didn't follow the develpment of this and didn't realise it was going to be so few in the games defence. I don't honestly see this IP continuing after this title.

I'm all for arcade racers,, But the best way to explain it, this left me with a 'watchdogs' feel in my mouth. Maybe even worse considering racing games are a passion for me.

Australia is on lock down until tomorrow for release, so I'm guessing physical copy?

US 7th, EU 8th, UK 10th.

Pretty annoyed at The Metro for this remark, (Metro is a free UK newspaper that gets handed out)

That's just some plain up BS, and coming from a UK outlet to a UK dev, quite insulting.

Metro have been know for their harsh reviews, so wouldn't read too much into it. 

Also just because it's a UK dev they shouldn't be just as harsh? The point of a review is to be impartial and if they were more lenient towards a game because of the developer goes against the whole point!

Metro have been know for their harsh reviews, so wouldn't read too much into it. 

Also just because it's a UK dev they shouldn't be just as harsh? The point of a review is to be impartial and if they were more lenient towards a game because of the developer goes against the whole point!

I'm not talking about the review, or their score, just that single remark. Nothing to do with being lenient about reviewing the game, just not throwing stupid statements like that out which endanger the health of the UK gaming industry (what would have happened, layoffs, whole studio close, that's what should probably have happened instead of this game coming out?).

If the engine was fundamentally broken, sure, can it, but the game is scoring 7's and 8's mostly, and the engine will be used for DC2/Motorstorm or possibly even Wipeout. It was rightfully delayed, but cancelled, no, it should not have been cancelled. It's not open world, it's not FH2, boohoo, critique what it is as harshly as you feel, but the metro is the only outlet I've seen say something as silly as that "in short".

You'd think we're talking about big rigs here with such strong outcomes as that. Okay it's not 60FPS, but as an engine to build on it's clearly absolutely gorgeous, maybe even GT can take tech from it, or even help it attain 60FPS. I don't think you'll find one sane racing fan that will say the game should have been canned - Maybe not their cup of tea, arcade-sim, but canned? I can't really take a remark like that seriously for what is clearly still a decent title (with legs and future support to come).

I'm not talking about the review, or their score, just that single remark. Nothing to do with being lenient about reviewing the game, just not throwing stupid statements like that out which endanger the health of the UK gaming industry (what would have happened, layoffs, whole studio close, that's what should probably have happened instead of this game coming out?).

If the engine was fundamentally broken, sure, can it, but the game is scoring 7's and 8's mostly, and the engine will be used for DC2/Motorstorm or possibly even Wipeout. It was rightfully delayed, but cancelled, no, it should not have been cancelled.

You'd think we're talking about big rigs here with such strong outcomes as that.

Comment is harsh yes, but it's just a single site, it's hardly going to make that much of difference if the game is mainly getting 7's and 8's. Cancelled  game doesn't mean the studio would have gone under, like you said the engine is likely to be used in Motorstorm or Wipeout, but we're arguing hypotheticals. 

Harsh comment, yes, will it make a difference in the bigger, probably not. If the game doesn't sell and the studio goes under it won't be because of that comment it will be because the game was poor, but again that's unlikely.

Comment is harsh yes, but it's just a single site, it's hardly going to make that much of difference if the game is mainly getting 7's and 8's. Cancelled  game doesn't mean the studio would have gone under, like you said the engine is likely to be used in Motorstorm or Wipeout, but we're arguing hypotheticals. 

Harsh comment, yes, will it make a difference in the bigger, probably not. If the game doesn't sell and the studio goes under it won't be because of that comment it will be because the game was poor, but again that's unlikely.

I know, as a UK'er though who reads the metro I just wanted to have my rant at them. Studio London (or Liverpool it might have been actually) just got shutdown by Sony not long ago, okay some of the staff got placed into other studios, but if this title was completely canned, maybe even the engine with it, how much money do you think that would have cost Evolution/Sony? They changed project lead on Driveclub to get the title shipped with a delay to make it better, if it was canned a year ago I'd go on record to say it wouldn't just have been the project lead getting "laid off".

Sure it's hypothetical until titles are confirmed, but Evo have given enough hints at their own events "imagine a Motorstorm" with this engine, and I had a Sony rep I know well at Eurogamer pretty much say they'll work on a Wipeout. Again, still hypothetical, but this is a powerful and flexible engine. The weather and lighting effects are pretty damn impressive, and completely dynamic. The tech seen here IMO is pretty much unrivaled in a racer this gen, and reviews are reflecting that. Graphics aren't everything, but in light of metros remarks, we are arguing cancellation here, which could have ended the engine as well.

Anyway, my rant can now end about that statement, I've had my 2 cents on it. Just found this out as well, I knew PGR staff were at Evo but not the lead design

Driveclub is for all intents and purposes, PGR5. The project lead on both PGR3 and 4 works for Evo

And anyway, I'll leave it up to Larry to tell us if Driveclub should have been cancelled, he's Neowin's unbiased guru, right Larry?  :rofl:

• Like 1

Let's hope that's not the case, and they're given the chance to make the game (a sequel or more Motorstorm) that was expected by all these reviewers. 

Let's hope that's not the case, and they're given the chance to make the game (a sequel or more Motorstorm) that was expected by all these reviewers. 

I think first and foremost they should be given the chance to show their after release support is going to be as extensive as they're saying, and that weather hits in time. 

Someone else's views that I think echo a bit of what's gone wrong in the reviewers minds

Bare-bones game structure. You're dropped into a race immediately on launching the game for the first time with no introduction, voiceover, or setup of any kind. It's a little disconcerting but it gets across an important point: DriveClub is about racing, period. There really isn't much to do but dive headlong into one event after another. If you like the challenge that represents I suspect there's a lot of fun to be had here, but if you're looking for a story? Some motivation to drive? More tweaking than a paint job? Forget about it.

Rest of what he had to say
Immersive driving experience. This is obviously where Evolution poured their considerable expertise into crafting something special. Getting behind the wheel feels just right. It's exhilarating even in the MINI you start out with, which is exactly as it ought to be. Flooring the little car downhill in limited visibility thanks to the clouds of dust kicked up by the cars in front of you on dirt roads in India is nerve-wracking fun, and the level of audio immersion with my basic 5.1 setup is impressive. Tire sounds against the varied environment are perfect, engine sounds are exactly what I'd expect from the class of car I'm driving, and the dreaded scrapes and bumps against other cars are properly cringe-inducing. I can't wait to try out the cars I've just unlocked and work my way toward something truly exotic.

Online interactions. The servers weren't up by the time I went to bed last night, though it sounds like they were up for a while shortly thereafter. They aren't up again this morning, so I can't comment meaningfully just yet.

So yeah maybe it is a bit old school, straight to the point with the racing. But if that's what matters most to you, it seems from the slightly higher scoring results, you should get your moneys worth - And if the after release support is extensive, then there we go!

Some people like old school, Larry's an old man, so we'll see if it's up his alley :p I think what might be clear is this is a European game, and not an American game - In that sense I mean a bit more old school, not as flashy and glittery to appease with constant praise/rewards/charming unlocks and presenters to hype you up.

Can that be described as being soulless, maybe, maybe just to an extent even, but that's the direction it seems DC wanted to take, no nonsense racing. Evo tried to put a "hip story" into Motorstorm Apocolypse and it got SLATED. They even went as far to patch out the cutscenes and stuff in the digital version. Seems like they've just decided to stick to what they feel they can do best, whether that alienates some or doesn't review well with others wanting a big presenter to tell them they're awesome for winning a race and have confetti blow all over the screen, so be it I guess.

I don't feel bad for Evo for how it's reviewing, apart from that Metro comment, it is how they said the game would be all along to the press. They spoke that is was a project of love about attention to detail (modelling the fibers in car seats and everything like that), and racing. Racing alone or more importantly in a club with friends against other clubs. They never brought up whacky elements, racing on the moon, having 10,000 cars to tune including 1960's classics, stunt racing, open world driving around for fun or anything like that in GT/Forza/NFS/ect. It was always about making a gorgeous looking straight forward racer, and it seems they have hit their own goals (minus getting weather out in time for launch), even if others goals were different.

Does that mean it won't be as fun for some as Forza Horizon 2? Sure. Many in fact. But that doesn't mean there isn't an audience who want an experience different than FH2 to the point of saying f off Driveclub, should have been cancelled, buy FH2 instead. As old school as it may be, it still has a points based system where even if you aren't going to be coming in 1st every race, you could still be a great drifter, or good as finishing a race with no collisions, so even if you're first or last you still earn something for yourself and potentially your club. I think that was in keeping with their keep things simple and down to racing moto, no mass tuning of cars or people all fighting just to finish 1st, enjoy the race, do your best and you will still get rewarded.

So many sites are giving it mixed to negative reviews. So wondering if I should buy this "Another generic racer" or not for $60.

The only thing that bugged me was in the developer interview, they went on and on about how much stuff they are adding to make weather effects look cool and all. But in the end if actual content like cars and tracks is a bit on lower side, the race is already lost in the eyes of the reviewers.

Might probably wait for bargain bin deals.

I will be playing it today for sure, perhaps even soon if things go according to plan, so no matter what I will post my first impressions later on tonight.

Okay, here is my initial impression.

If people do not like this game, they do not like the genre of racing video games period.

It really does sit somewhere between arcade and simulation, and I would actually say it leans more towards simulation.

This is not need for speed where you can bounce of walls and just keep the pedal to the medal.

You have to drive as you would in real life.

The game also does not hold your hand.

The graphics are fantastic.

It gets straight to the point.

It is no doubt classic in the approach that it presents you with a track, and you only ride that track. Move on to the next. Etc. Etc.

Pretty much the same exact setup of Forza (regular) and Gran Turismo.

You are not going to be chasing down billboards to smash and riding through fields like Forza Horizon 2.

The only similarities they have is they are both driving games.

Finally the best decision I ever made was to pick up this wheel last night.

It is like I am in the arcade sitting in a cabinet, but instead I am on my couch zoning out.

It really is a much more visceral experience, and perhaps that is why right now I am absolutely enjoying it.

If people are looking for something new, this is not the game for that.

If you are looking for tight racing with pretty much the best visuals to date. This is your game.

Just a small thing like going from day to night on a track is kick ass. Totally changes the whole vibe up.

I really dig it so far. Then again I do lean more towards the old school approach with things so perhaps that is why.

Off to play some more. Gotta get to Level 6.

• Like 3

From my perspective, it skates so close to the line between simulator and arcade racer that it fails to include any of the things I enjoy from either type of game.

From my perspective, it skates so close to the line between simulator and arcade racer that it fails to include any of the things I enjoy from either type of game.

That sucks for you. Not sure what you feel is missing from either that would make it enjoyable, as I like the combination myself. A lot actually. I do think a lot of that may very well have to do with the fact I have always enjoyed arcade racers, for the past 20+ years actually I always gravitated towards them in the arcade and then on consoles, and it was not until the past 2-3 years I learned to enjoy and appreciate simulators. So perhaps I am more forgiving as I am not so hung up on a game being one or the other as I like both types of racers equally now.

With that said, I would say the best way I can describe it is Ridge Racer meets Gran Turismo, but more on the GT side of things, as the driving leans more on the simulation side as it is very unforgiving.

There is no rewind or recovering if you make a mistake.

It is also all about the repetition of learning the tracks. That is the only way to get better. Racing a track over and over.

Both aspects are more like a sim to me.

I like this myself, as I see it as a challenge.

I NO DOUBT can see how others would not like it though.

It is not going to be everyones cup of tea.

With that said I do not believe it should be receiving the negative reviews it is receiving.

Just because it is not everyones cup of tea does not make it a bad game.

It just makes it a game not everyone is going to like and appreciate.

To me there is a big difference.

@ Audioboxer - I forgot to comment on the audio. At first I was not impressed. I felt the tire screeching was overpowering everything else. So I did what every red blooded American would do, I turned it up even louder. :laugh:  Then things started getting good. Not kidding. The louder I put it the better it was overall, as that is when I was able to hear the intricacies of the sound itself. Keep in mind my hearing is also not the best as I played in punk bands for 15 years of my younger years. :huh:

I also was not impressed initially because of the opening track. It was once I played other tracks where the audio started to shine. Different roads and environments sound like different roads and environments, as they should. Also the difference in the audio between cockpit and hood view is vast, which it should be.

Overall the audio is damn good, but it is not the best out there. I still think both Forza & Gran Turismo both have better sound overall.

• Like 1

This is a crash from the game. It is pretty damn intense.

I love how after the guy stops at the end the people are clapping.

• Like 1

Thanks for the impressions Larry, seems to be as I suspected. I think a range of scores are fair, but to me 5/10 is usually given to a pretty poor or broken game, I think the range of 6-8 is a little fairer. I think if they'd shipped with weather those appreciating this type of racer may have edged closed to 9 or there might of been one or two 9's, but I think GT's 8.6 is the fairest the game could have hoped for as it's released. A few months time? Sure maybe different scenario completely, but games are reviewed as they're released.

Okay some additional impressions for now...

The further I played, the more detailed and busy the tracks and environments became.

I hate to say it, I think this game could have greatly benefited in a decreased resolution. The 30 FPS really rears its ugly head in the busier tracks. The big difference between this game and Horizon 2, which I have played a decent amount of, is DriveClub since it is event to event, opts for a lot more twists and turns in the track compared to Forza Horizon 2. That is why 30 FPS works in one and not necessarily the other.  :/ It is not every track, but I definitely felt like 60 FPS would make a WORLD of difference in some of them. No doubt about it.

It is not a deal breaker by any means, but I would have loved to see what the game looked like at a lower resolution with 60 FPS thanks to all of the things that are happening on the tracks and environments themselves.

One other thing to note, in traditional Sony fashion, I was not online AT ALL the entire 2-3 hours I played the game today. They need to get their ###### together there. Seriously.