Office 365 document sharing without OneDrive?

Question

So my client just got office 365, the subscription came with ability to share it with 4 other people, I was one of the 'lucky' that got it. Live the new Office as a whole, a lot cleaner, compared to Office 2010, though I hate that I do not have the ability to install what I desire and have to install everything.

My question:

Me, and my client share a few Office 365 files with each other, we usually collaborate on the files in realtime. I want to keep that ability, but at the same time stop using OneDrive, is that possible? If not, then why do I have the Office Uploader?

My Os is Windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro, I previously had OneDrive disabled through group policy. I tried keeping it disabled and share documents, it did not work.

PS: No matter how much space OneDrive will give me (currently have 1TB+), I do not wish to use it, its slow for me, and I dislike how it works overall, compared to Dropbox. I really hope there is a way around it.

5 answers to this question

Can't you just save the file in your dropbox folder then?

That's what I was thinking, but does that work if you want to work on it at the same time?

And is that even possible when you use OneDrive?

My question:

Me, and my client share a few Office 365 files with each other, we usually collaborate on the files in realtime. I want to keep that ability, but at the same time stop using OneDrive, is that possible? If not, then why do I have the Office Uploader?

See here: http://winsupersite.com/office-2013/click-run-and-custom-installs-office-2013 to install the only desktop apps you want.

Real time (word for word) Collaboration only works through the Office Online apps, not the software. The Office Uploader simply reuploads the document after every change.

FYI: It should be My client and I

I was thinking the same thing, but with the Dropbox app, there would be some delay for having to sync the document with the Dropbox app every time. Can you even view a shared with you file from the desktop app?

That's what I was thinking, but does that work if you want to work on it at the same time?

And is that even possible when you use OneDrive?

I don't think you can actually type on the document at the same time and see the typing word for word, there must be some conflict between uploads and having the document open at the same time. When you use Office Online with someone who is using the Office Suite, OneDrive syncs (using the Office Upload software) by uploading the document into the cloud. You can see real-time typing when two or more people are using Office Online and not the software.

• Like 2

I can, but that will not give be the ability to interact on the file in realtime.

See here: http://winsupersite.com/office-2013/click-run-and-custom-installs-office-2013 to install the only desktop apps you want.

Real time (word for word) Collaboration only works through the Office Online apps, not the software. The Office Uploader simply reuploads the document after every change.

FYI: It should be My client and I

I was thinking the same thing, but with the Dropbox app, there would be some delay for having to sync the document with the Dropbox app every time. Can you even view a shared with you file from the desktop app?

I don't think you can actually type on the document at the same time and see the typing word for word, there must be some conflict between uploads and having the document open at the same time. When you use Office Online with someone who is using the Office Suite, OneDrive syncs (using the Office Upload software) by uploading the document into the cloud. You can see real-time typing when two or more people are using Office Online and not the software.

The article linked tells that the only way to get a custom install is via an MSDN volume license purchase :(

When I use onenote, software, I can collaborate with my client in real-time, so collaboration works with the software as well.

I do make mistakes like that, I appreciate your correction.

With Dropbox, if my client and I have the document open at the same time, any change I make/save will be updated to the web, if my client makes changes at the same time a new, conflict file will be created on Dropbox.

As I said, I am able to collaborate in real time using the Onenote software installed on my PC. From what I see, the file that is saved on my Skydrive is a OnenoteDocument.URL file. I click on that, or open it using the Onenote software, and my file opens, there is no 'real' file saved on the PC.

An update on this, after going through many forums/posts/blogs and then MS local support here. There is currently no way of changing the default app from OneDrive, or to disable OneDrive and still be able to collaborate on Onenote documents. Disappointing, guess I will have to learn and live with it.