Jimquisition: Review Embargoes And Why They're Okay Sometimes

Does anyone else just trust their own instincts these days and buy games they know they'll like or just me?

I mean, I know it's harder as we go on with the slow death of demos, but I've never put any weight behind reviews if I should buy something or not. I was burned very few times last gen, probably only one specific game which annoyed me in the end.

It seems counter intutitive to me from Jim's explanation that day 1 reviews are part of the marketing to have a game pop up on everyone's radar while trying to constantly reach that eluvisve day 1 sale record each time. It backfires when pre-orders are cancelled because people don't want to be burned.

Does anyone else just trust their own instincts these days and buy games they know they'll like or just me?

I mean, I know it's harder as we go on with the slow death of demos, but I've never put any weight behind reviews if I should buy something or not. I was burned very few times last gen, probably only one specific game which annoyed me in the end.

It seems counter intutitive to me from Jim's explanation that day 1 reviews are part of the marketing to have a game pop up on everyone's radar while trying to constantly reach that eluvisve day 1 sale record each time. It backfires when pre-orders are cancelled because people don't want to be burned.

I'm pretty much the same way. I might give a game I passed up a second shot if I hear a lot of people on forums like this giving it praise, but I don't really ever pay attention to actual reviews and I usually know if I'm going to get a game or not well before those reviews come out anyway.