Stamp collector offering $100G for 'Inverted Jennies'

A prominent stamp dealer is reportedly offering $100,000 for two missing 24-cent stamps known to collectors as the Inverted Jenny, nearly 60 years after they were stolen.

Donald Sundman, president of New York?s Mystic Stamp Company, said Saturday he will pony up $50,000 apiece for the stolen stamps that feature an upside-down Curtiss JN-4 biplane. The American Philatelic Research Library in Bellefonte, Pa., which was given ownership of the stamps in 1980, is also offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to their recovery.

Her Inverted Jenny block was one of just a half-dozen surviving intact from the original sheet of 100 misprints, bought over a post office counter in 1918 by a lucky broker?s clerk who quickly resold them to a prominent collector. That collector dispersed the sheet, mostly as single stamps, after numbering each one on the back in pencil.

th?id=HN.608041711542404258&pid=15.1&H=1

more

• 2 weeks later...

stamps. people that collect those are even more geekier then us.

collectors are a weird bunch, that is for sure.   art is one thing, but people collect the weirdest things, and they have like a fetish communities about the objects of obsession.

i grew out of collecting, when i finished elementary school.... and i passed my whole collection of bubble gum inserts to someone else for free, because it lost its value to me, when i moved on.

LSD stamps, on other hand... :shifty:

I'm quite fond of/proud of my collection of playing cards. I have decks with almost any theme you can imagine, in many shapes and sizes, old and new, from all over the world, and any time I visit a landmark I buy one from the gift shop. It's great because it's such a ubiquitous souvenir item that it's always available in those places. I haven't shelled out for one of the solid gold decks... yet... but I do have a silver-plated one xD I hope to be able to display them properly one day. Still working out the logistics of that.

Anyway, I can see the appeal of this. I don't know if I would spend the money required to get one of these super-rare types, but I'd certainly be tempted.