Remote Desktop Help Needed - Win 7 to Win 8.1

Hello. I am having a hell of a time trying to connect my PC to my Boss PC.

He has Windows 8.1 not Pro and I have Windows 7 Pro SP-1. Both machines are 64-bit. I have everything setup in his Windows 8.1 machine at least I hope I do.

Every time I start Remote Desktop in my Win 7 machine I can never connect into his. We have a small local LAN although none of us are really connected to each other.

I am by myself here as he is away a few days and to check orders and stuff it is easier to just remote in instead of having to go back and forth between offices.

In the past with his prior Win 7 machine it was a breeze and worked great. If anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

He has Windows 8.1 not Pro

Is that the "basic" edition? Pretty certain that it doesn't come with the terminal server. Aside from that, obviously need to make sure the firewall is allowing it through. I've done RDP from 7 to 8.x/Server 2012R2 plenty of times without issue.

+1 for the above

If not, have you checked simple things like Windows Firewall and whether there is an exception for RDP? Simple test would be to just turn it off and give it a try.

Thanks for the reply. Well as far as I know there is no Basic version Windows 8. Just Windows 8 Core and Windows 8 Pro. He is on 8.1 Core and my RDP client supports 8.1 on Windows 7. I will post the error message again.

Non pro versions of windows cannot be a Host for a remote desktop session.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/windows-8-1/compare/default.aspx

you can see the comparison here if you go to the networking tab.

This applies for all version of windows not just Windows 8.

If he is running a non-pro version of windows you will have to use a third party application to establish a remote desktop session.

Personally i recommend TeamViewer (used to use logmein when it was free) but Teamviewer is not bad and its free.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. Well as far as I know there is no Basic version Windows 8. Just Windows 8 Core and Windows 8 Pro. He is on 8.1 Core and my RDP client supports 8.1 on Windows 7. I will post the error message again.

Yea, 99% sure you don't have the terminal server on that edition, only Pro and Enterprise. Been like that since XP.

Yeah all I see is a Private Network and Home Group. There is no Public, Work or Home Network Shown. I like the way Windows 7 shows it off. The Firewall is set to let RDP thru and I have in the systems settings allow remote connections.

In my experience so far with Win 8. I just like 8.1 Pro

Non pro versions of windows cannot be a Host for a remote desktop session.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/windows-8-1/compare/default.aspx

you can see the comparison here if you go to the networking tab.

This applies for all version of windows not just Windows 8.

If he is running a non-pro version of windows you will have to use a third party application to establish a remote desktop session.

Personally i recommend TeamViewer (used to use logmein when it was free) but Teamviewer is not bad and its free.

Yes you are totally correct. I did not know this for Windows 8. I thought it changed. I use Teamviewer all the time but how can I use it for local LAN use?

Yes you are totally correct. I did not know this for Windows 8. I thought it changed. I use Teamviewer all the time but how can I use it for local LAN use?

the exact same way you use normal RDP actually. just type the ip address and it will connect locally (as long as team viewer is running on the pc of course)

Really? So in Partner ID just put in the IP

Really? So in Partner ID just put in the IP

yep. :)

at most you'll just need to enable "allow LAN connection" in settings. can't remember if it's off by default

Can TeamViewer be used within a local network (LAN) only?

You can establish Remote control sessions on your local network directly by using IP addresses or computer names. By default this feature is deactivated because software firewalls may open an acceptance dialog when configured this way.

To activate the LAN mode in TeamViewer full version and Host module:

1. In the menu click on Extras and then on Options
  2. On the General tab activate Accept incoming LAN connections

When selecting accept exclusively it will display the IP-address of the computer in the ID-field.

A connection can now be established using the IP-address or alternatively using the host name.

Well you learn something new everyday :D

Thanks buddies

It just worked. What I do want to try is logging in with the Windows Account password and not the assigned password which is random every session. I assume doing thru the LAN I can just leave it open all day long. I leave at 6pm

Well you learn something new everyday biggrin.png

Thanks buddies

It just worked. What I do want to try is logging in with the Windows Account password and not the assigned password which is random every session. I assume doing thru the LAN I can just leave it open all day long. I leave at 6pm

you can set a custom password to use in settings as well