Samsung 840 Pro or 850 Pro RAID 0

I was going to buy the new 850 Pro, but looking at bench marks it looks like you don't get a huge benefit between the two other then space options and a little more write speed. Is there something I'm missing? I mean I really want more speed out of my ssds but $759.98 is a lot cheaper then $1400. Granted, the space is double which would be nice; just don't know if it's worth almost double the cost.

EDIT: I'm going to run these on RAID 0.

how much it costs to you the 840 Pro and the 850 Pro? Granted, if any of them are in RAID 0 configuration the speed increase from a single drive is just insane, so better have a good mainboard that supports SATA 3; since the differences between both the 840 and the 850 Pro models are small, i would go with the cheaper of the two.

Also be sure to have (and test!) your backups because RAID 0... well, it's RAID 0 :)

I have an ASUS sabertooth x79. I'll have to look at the specs to see. I am leaning more towards two of the 850 Pro 512GB hard drives. Buying two of those only costs an extra $40-50 then buying two 840 Pro 512 GB on newegg.com at the moment. Thanks for the advice so far :)

I'm getting conflicting information on my board. Does anyone out there know if the Sabertooth x79's built in controllers support TRIM in raid 0? The specs say that it supports raid, but I can't find anything on TRIM one way or the other.

I'm getting conflicting information on my board. Does anyone out there know if the Sabertooth x79's built in controllers support TRIM in raid 0? The specs say that it supports raid, but I can't find anything on TRIM one way or the other.

Hi,

It supports RAID but TRIM on RAID no, since there is no supported TRIM on RAID by Intel for that chipset (X79). You can check more here: https://communities.intel.com/message/187706

So how will that affect my overall performance with the ssd? Is it not even worth doing raid then? I'm guessing I won't get the benchmarks that are posted for them since it doesn't support TRIM.

Is there any meaningful reason for RAID 0 with SSDs other than benchmarks scores?

I had 2 OCZ SSDs in RAID 0 a few years back and while it was neat to see 100 MB/s read/write benchmark scores, it had absolutely no benefit to everyday use.

It ended up being really annoying when the RAID would break (mostly from mobo BIOS updates) and force me to re-install Windows. Imo, it's not worth doing this.

If you write 20GB a day then you should be looking at other HDD's. From what I remember the mean times and IOP are all calculated with an average of 3GB of day. If you are going to do so much more, the drives will be wearing out much quicker than stated in the specs.

Well I phrased that incorrectly it's not literally every day but I create adobe primere videos that are 12 GB.

I do different encodings with them and I have a source pci-e OZC hdd and I want a fast setup for my ssd I'm going to be buying to replace my Samsung 840 250GB that I have now.

IMO there is no real reason to put any top of the line SSD into a RAID 0 array. New SSDs are close to saturating the 600 MB/s SATA III spec so there is no benefit one would see in RAID 0. Now if you step up to SATA Express or M.2 (NGFF) thats a different story. As others have said double check the TRIM support or see if the SSD has BGG (background garbage collection).

Well I'm getting 920MB/s with the raid 0. So is that bad or?

EDIT: I just bought 2x 25th 850 pros and created a raid 0. My mobo supports raid 0 via sata iii on a specific controller *I have sabertooth x79)

IMO there is no real reason to put any top of the line SSD into a RAID 0 array. New SSDs are close to saturating the 600 MB/s SATA III spec so there is no benefit one would see in RAID 0. Now if you step up to SATA Express or M.2 (NGFF) thats a different story. As others have said double check the TRIM support or see if the SSD has BGG (background garbage collection).

not really, you can have RAID 0 with 2+ drives and be over the SATA III (or SATA 6G if that matters :)) limit. And if OP uses a dedicated RAID card for SSD (those are very expensive, like an LSI), then the performance is very huge; even using software RAID the performance is much higher then using a single SSD.

you can see the following review of a cheap RAID card for HDDs being used for RAID 0, 5 and 6 using SSD in here; it just blows the limits of SATA 6G. Then again the real world performance gain when comparing to a single SSD is virtually none (unlike the synthetic benches show), unless in specific scenarios like batch processing heavy files, video editing, encoding etc. And then, after the processing, those files should be stored in a redundant storage like a NAS or at least in a RAID 1 HDDs, not into the RAID 0 since the more disks are added into the RAID the chances of failures increases.

I'm using a Marvell controller (6G or SATA III). So it sounds like that is going to burn out the controller over a period of time? But if you can have 4 ports all at SATA III and they arr all working outside of an array at once I don't see how that's any different taxation wise. Bandwidth is bandwidth, raid or not.

I'm using a Marvell controller (6G or SATA III). So it sounds like that is going to burn out the controller over a period of time? But if you can have 4 ports all at SATA III and they arr all working outside of an array at once I don't see how that's any different taxation wise. Bandwidth is bandwidth, raid or not.

is this a question for my post? because i can't see any relation...

burning out the controller? wtf?

Nothing will overload or burn out, that's just nonsense...

If you have a controller that can do 600MB/s and you build a RAID0 array with SSDs that do 900MB/s then you are simply limited to 600MB/s, it won't be able to handle more. If you run benchmarks you will notice that you won't get higher than a specific rate, as your controller is bottlenecking it.

As a previous poster mentioned, if you want all that speed you would need to go to a dedicated RAID card that can support that kind of throughput.