Asus X83V Laptop Bios Password...

Hey guys, I'm back... You know what? There apparently IS a glitch when changing batteries on these laptops. This guy also says that he didn't have a password on it, but when he changed the password, it MADE a password, which is absolutely strange.

So that's why I need some kind of master password and what not. This is the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. I still haven't found the jumpers to short the bios for a reset, either.

If anyone has any other methods, please let me know. I have tried all software methods with no luck... But I still haven't tried to flash the BIOS, which I hear I can't do because of the password.

Update 2: (where's the edit button?)

So I've tried just about everything, I even updated the bios, still can't figure out why there's a password on this damn thing! I mean, it still works, I just hate the fact that I can't get into the BIOS.

I have contacted ASUS and awaiting their answer because now the computer is officially registered to me (I got the warranty card and all, but the warranty died years ago.)

Still looking for more suggestions that could work.

Still looking for more suggestions that could work.

"You will need to disassemble you're laptop and get to the cmos battery. This is located in the bottom right hand corner of the inside of the laptop and looks similar to a watch battery. Do not have your laptop plugged in being charged and have the power shut off. Take out the battery and disassemble the laptop. Leave the battery out for about 30 minutes to reset all bios settings, including your password. This should work and you will then be able to enter into Windows."

"You will need to disassemble you're laptop and get to the cmos battery. This is located in the bottom right hand corner of the inside of the laptop and looks similar to a watch battery. Do not have your laptop plugged in being charged and have the power shut off. Take out the battery and disassemble the laptop. Leave the battery out for about 30 minutes to reset all bios settings, including your password. This should work and you will then be able to enter into Windows."

He tried that already... we already established that it's stored in non-volatile memory.

You know what? There apparently IS a glitch when changing batteries on these laptops.

I find this highly unlikely, I've never seen that happen before...

A BIOS update sometimes can reset the password, in the updater there can be an option to reset CMOS/DMI/NV and if used it may be enough to clear it - but this isn't for every BIOS or update utility either.

If it's in EEPROM then you haven't got many options - could be a solder job.

the OP is proberly SOL with this issue other than returning it to asus or replaceing the bios chip with a new one that has fresh firmware on it.

you can find these chips on line.

He tried that already... we already established that it's stored in non-volatile memory.

He didn't try de-powering the laptop for 30 minutes.

All batteries must be removed.

He has nothing to lose by trying this.