PPTP VPN no internet on 7 yes internet on XP

Hi guys, so I'm having a very weird issue. I run a VPN company and on one of my dedicated servers with 100 ips, I have for example 50 users setup. And each user is getting a static ip assigned to them. One user is having an issue where he can login to his pptp vpn but he cant surf the web or anything, he runs mac.

I tested it out on a vmware image with xp and everything ran perfectly, then just out of curiosity i tested it out on my own pc with windows 7 and am having the same issue as he was having of no internet. 

Any ideas? 

is the "use default gateway on remote connection" ticked off?

Hi, if I uncheck it then I get internet but then my ip address wouldnt change to the one of the vpn when surfing the web i would just have my modem's ip

Right and that is fine. You would have two sets of ips, one for the vpn and one for the local lan.

This would be set up as a split tunnel, office traffic would go over the vpn and internet traffic would go over your home isp/router.

Why would anyone be using PPTP?  That has been deprecated for years!!

Do these 50 other users use pptp?  Is the issue use of pptp or just this 1 user - you say you can duplicate the problem using PPTP on windows 7 vs him using OS X.  This points to your PPTP server if you ask me.

Do a traceroute once your connected where do you get?  What is the ipconfig /all look like on your box when your connected?

Turn on logging in your pptp connection - what does the log show?

Right and that is fine. You would have two sets of ips, one for the vpn and one for the local lan.

This would be set up as a split tunnel, office traffic would go over the vpn and internet traffic would go over your home isp/router.

Hi unfortunately since its for my vpn business that would not work for me, my customers want their ip to change

What is handing out the addresses?  if it is a windows dhcp server you can set reservations, but if you look in the dhcp server logs that are created and maintained constantly by the server you can determine who had what IP when.  If you are having a hardware device hand out addresses it would have to be configured properly (if it is capable of reservations).  It shouldn't matter if the default gateway is ticked off or not. 

Why would anyone be using PPTP?  That has been deprecated for years!!

Do these 50 other users use pptp?  Is the issue use of pptp or just this 1 user - you say you can duplicate the problem using PPTP on windows 7 vs him using OS X.  This points to your PPTP server if you ask me.

Do a traceroute once your connected where do you get?  What is the ipconfig /all look like on your box when your connected?

Turn on logging in your pptp connection - what does the log show?

Hi, its an interesting problem because I currently have about 40+ servers all setup the same way following this guide

http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2010/10/how-to-install-vpn-on-windows-server-2008-r2/

All the servers are setup with PPTP & L2TP, will be adding SSTP soon.

After further testing I'm not able to get internet on my windows 7 using any of the ips on this server, on my xp though everything works perfect. This server is setup just like all my other servers and I never have this problem. Im not sure what could be different about this server that could be causing the issue, on a side note this is the first time i bought a server from this particular company

Tracing route to WIN-VAG93R0NH9V [ip]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  WIN-VAG93R0NH9V [ip]

Trace complete.

What is handing out the addresses?  if it is a windows dhcp server you can set statics, but if you look in the dhcp server logs that are created and maintained constantly by the server ou can determine who had what IP when.  If you are having a hardware device hand out addresses it would have to be configured properly (if it is capable of reservations).  It shouldn't matter if the default gateway is ticked off or not. 

Hi, I specifically assign the customer a static ip in their user dial-in settings

so you have a server handing out an address pool, that is far from static addressing.  you don't need a gateway to be assigned for this to happen either.  I guess I am not understanding the question or am having a hard time seeing exactly what the issue is, other than you having an issue with ticking off to use the setting "use default gateway on remote connection".  For you to have any sort of communication across to your remote side, you would need to have an IP out of that pool or a dhcp address from your dhcp server (and the routes to boot). 

show me a full screen capture of an ipconfig /all on your client with both the option to use default gateway on remote connection enabled and disabled. 

You can do this when it is enabled

ipconfig /all > %userprofile%\desktop\ipconfig_enabled.txt

You can do this when it is disabled

ipconfig /all > %userprofile%\desktop\ipconfig_disabled.txt

it will create a ipconfig_enabled.txt and ipconfig_disabled.txt files on your desktop, the information from this can help me better understand your issue and further be able to troubleshoot if necessary. 

Well clearly you could get a trace to the other end of the vpn connection.

Do a trace to something like 8.8.8.8 - does it go down the tunnel. What does the route print show on the client for the default route, it is out the vpn?

So your using 2008r2 as your vpn server?? How and the hell is that cost effective?? Why would you not use a free OS - any linux or bsd.. You have 40+ servers with "legal" copies of 2008r2 on them?? What do you charge for your vpn service?

You didn't answer my question - are other users using PPTP having this issue, is it only when they connect to this 1 server. Or just this one client connected to every other server. You have no other reports of problems with windows 7 clients or OS X clients using OS X?

This whole thread is fishy to me.. So they run a VPN company with 40+ servers but can not troubleshoot simple problems with a client?

More than happy to help.. But this is very fishy to me..

so you have a server handing out an address pool, that is far from static addressing.  you don't need a gateway to be assigned for this to happen either.  I guess I am not understanding the question or am having a hard time seeing exactly what the issue is, other than you having an issue with ticking off to use the setting "use default gateway on remote connection".  For you to have any sort of communication across to your remote side, you would need to have an IP out of that pool or a dhcp address from your dhcp server (and the routes to boot). 

show me a full screen capture of an ipconfig /all on your client with both the option to use default gateway on remote connection enabled and disabled. 

You can do this when it is enabled

ipconfig /all > %userprofile%\desktop\ipconfig_enabled.txt

You can do this when it is disabled

ipconfig /all > %userprofile%\desktop\ipconfig_disabled.txt

it will create a ipconfig_enabled.txt and ipconfig_disabled.txt files on your desktop, the information from this can help me better understand your issue and further be able to troubleshoot if necessary. 

Hi, the server is not handing out from any address pool, I give each customer a unique ip that I enter myself the server does not enter it. Ticking off use default gateway will not help in my situation since my customers buy the ips for the sole purpose of their ip changing to the ip I assign to them.

Well clearly you could get a trace to the other end of the vpn connection.

Do a trace to something like 8.8.8.8 - does it go down the tunnel. What does the route print show on the client for the default route, it is out the vpn?

So your using 2008r2 as your vpn server?? How and the hell is that cost effective?? Why would you not use a free OS - any linux or bsd.. You have 40+ servers with "legal" copies of 2008r2 on them?? What do you charge for your vpn service?

You didn't answer my question - are other users using PPTP having this issue, is it only when they connect to this 1 server. Or just this one client connected to every other server. You have no other reports of problems with windows 7 clients or OS X clients using OS X?

Hi, how would i do a trace do I just type trace ip in cmd? and what would that help discover?

Yeah I know its not the most cost effective strategy but it has enabled someone with limited knowledge to start profitable business while I learn the ins and outs, eventually I would like to move to linux, but my strong suit is obviously not server management, my strong suit is online marketing.

This whole thread is fishy to me.. So they run a VPN company with 40+ servers but can not troubleshoot simple problems with a client?

More than happy to help.. But this is very fishy to me..

Sorry for the late reply guys, I'm on a business trip right now, but I really do appreciate you guys trying to help me. This forum is really nice, and when I have more time I'd really like to learn from you guys. I am able to troubleshoot for most my customers, since most only have very basic problems but every once in a while the normal solutions dont seem to work for a customer like in this situation. 

So still can not answer the basic not tech question.

"are other users using PPTP having this issue, is it only when they connect to this 1 server. Or just this one client connected to every other server. You have no other reports of problems with windows 7 clients or OS X clients using OS X? "

You don't know how to do a ping or trace and your running a vpn company?? What company is this???

Yes in a cmd prompt type the command ping and tracert with the IP address you want to ping or trace too.. So clearly you don't even know how to google? If that has to be explained to you ;)

So still can not answer the basic not tech question.

"are other users using PPTP having this issue, is it only when they connect to this 1 server. Or just this one client connected to every other server. You have no other reports of problems with windows 7 clients or OS X clients using OS X? "

You don't know how to do a ping or trace and your running a vpn company?? What company is this???

Yes in a cmd prompt type the command ping and tracert with the IP address you want to ping or trace too.. So clearly you don't even know how to google? If that has to be explained to you ;)

Hi, all my servers have the option for PPTP and L2TP, only this server is having this issue. All clients on this server have the issue, all servers are set up same way. Ran a ping & tracert and got these results, not sure where that got me though

And yes as I've already stated not very tech savvy, my strong suit is marketing. But I do wish to learn, bought this book hopefully its a good start

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118380983/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But anyways in the meantime any help would be greatly appreciated

Pinging ip with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from ip: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=250
Reply from ip: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=250
Reply from ip: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=250
Reply from ip: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=250

Ping statistics for ip:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 40ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 43ms

Tracing route to 2.45]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  
  2     6 ms     4 ms     4 ms  
  3    10 ms     7 ms     7 ms 
  4     6 ms     6 ms     8 ms 
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6     8 ms     7 ms     6 ms
  7    55 ms    56 ms    56 ms 
  8    56 ms    54 ms    56 ms
  9    57 ms    56 ms    54 ms
 10    55 ms    57 ms    59 ms 
 11    58 ms    59 ms    57 ms  
 12    42 ms    40 ms    40 ms  
 13    45 ms    45 ms    45 ms  
 14    45 ms    45 ms    45 ms  

Trace complete.

Dude how can I freaking help you if your not even going to show what your pinging -- was that through the vpn or not? Where was the trace too.

Clearly you have access - is that through the vpn or not?

What what is not working?

Here is an idea - why don't you give me an account on this server to troubleshoot with. Let me rdp info the server, send me a vpn login - and I will tell you exactly what is wrong. If only the access it so this server - why don't you just wipe it and redo it.. That would take all of 10 minutes in a normal setup.

Hi guys, so I'm having a very weird issue. I run a VPN company and on one of my dedicated servers with 100 ips, I have for example 50 users setup. And each user is getting a static ip assigned to them. One user is having an issue where he can login to his pptp vpn but he cant surf the web or anything, he runs mac.

I tested it out on a vmware image with xp and everything ran perfectly, then just out of curiosity i tested it out on my own pc with windows 7 and am having the same issue as he was having of no internet. 

Any ideas? 

ping 74.125.230.227 from a device that cannot surf...if you get a response, it is your DNS (which of late has been the biggest issue I have seen regarding VPNs) then try visiting 74.125.230.227 in the browser and google should appear