DHCP scope backup restoration

Hi Guys,

Need your help to restore the dhcp scope backup on another windows 2008 R2 server.

Actually our 2008 R2 DHCP server is currently down and we need to restore the dhcp scope backup on different server but we unable to restore.

Backup file format is in .txt format so please help me with command line to fix such issue.

Many thanks.

why do you need to restore?  Just recreate - how many possible settings could you have?  Do you have like 100 scopes or something?

Do you have hundreds of reservations setup?  There pretty much is 2 settings in a scope that would be requierd.  Gateway and DNS server - if it take you longer than 30 seconds to bring up a dhcp scope so your boxes can get an IP and talk to what they need to talk to -- your doing it wrong ;)

You spent more time typing this post asking for help on restore of a backup, when you could have had 10 scopes created ;)

as to your restore - why do you need command line?

To restore the DHCP database

1. Open the DHCP snap-in.

2. In the console tree, click the DHCP server you want to configure.

3. On the Action menu, click Restore.

4. In the Browse For Folder dialog box, select the folder that contains the backup DHCP database, and then click OK.

DHCP server which are currently got down having 48 scope configured and yes there are more the 100 reservation...

Backup of that particular DHCP server, I have in .txt format so as you suggested below is not works for me.

To restore the DHCP database

1. Open the DHCP snap-in.

2. In the console tree, click the DHCP server you want to configure.

3. On the Action menu, click Restore.

4. In the Browse For Folder dialog box, select the folder that contains the backup DHCP database, and then click OK.

a text file is not going to work, you will need to proper files to restore

dhcpcfg

dhcp.mdb

dhcp.pat

or you will need to have a system state backup that you can restore. 

Guys thanks for posting... and sorry for delay response here. Actually we raised a case with HP to replace the systemboard of our core server and they replaced it within 5 hours. hence our corebox is running and DHCP server which are hosted in this core server are running fine.

But still I would like to do above backup restoration steps on different server to avoid such issues in future. Will start working on this and keep you posted. 

Hi, Good Morning BudMan,

1) We have around world wide 300+ DHCP servers and we used script to take backup, Backup file saved in .txt format in one centralized server. 

2) Currently we do not have the DHCP failover server, as for each site we have one core box which hosted in DC, DHCP-SCCM, F&P server.

I will try your below guidance and update you if in case any issue occurs.

netsh DHCP server dump >c:\DHCPdump.txt

Here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962355

so this script runs what command that netsh one?

So you have this backup script - that you don't know how to restore from?? Really??

You have 300+ dhcp servers? Why??? That makes no sense at all.. You can serve up 1000's of scopes off 1 dhcp server.. I sure wouldn't be using microsoft to serve up dhcp if you needed that many.. I would prob use something like infoblox.. And you would need no where close to 300 I am damn sure ;)

All 300+ servers are not located in one place, it hosted on different country and different city. Hope you understand the infra.

Before restoring DHCP backup on another server, at that time we will do following steps to perform.

1) Move the site subnet to nearest site,

2) Restore DHCP backup on new server & enable IP helper

Yeah you could have like 1 HA pair of dhcp servers in each region.. Way less than 300 ;)

I am finding it hard to believe that 300 dhcp servers would be required for even the largest of of enterprise or ISPs even..

Curious - so how many leases per second do these boxes serve up? How many leases total?