Attach images issue?

Anyone else having issues attaching/viewing images? So I had posted an image in the thread about vmware shares not working. Can did up the link if wanted. So first image worked fine (showing that worked on win8), but had to use the basic uploader.

Then went back to edit post, add the fix info and show that it was again working. The upload went fine using the basic uploader - saw the thumbnail of the image. But when actually posted, just seeing link to image - doesn't load it, etc.

edit: Nevermind - its working now.. And the advanced uploader is working now. I went into the post and resent the images, and deleted the old ones and that seems to have worked fine. Hmmm wonder if on my end? But tried it from 2 different connections, 2 different machines - hmmm?

I have not been able to upload images for a few weeks now usually i either host them myself or post them on imgur first.

So again having issues with uploading images - even using basic this time.. Looks like the images load, but they don't show up in the post.. Just get a link to the image.png, etc.. And no thumbdrive using both advanced and basic.

Something is clearly wrong with the image attachment system.. I use attachment of images a lot since pictures are 1000 times more useful than words to get something across. Am I only one having this issue? I have tried multiple browsers, its not on my end that I can see.

So went back to thread - and now 1 of the images is there

But other image shows a 404

SYSTEM_WGETRC = c:/progra~1/wget/etc/wgetrc
syswgetrc = c:/progra~1/wget/etc/wgetrc
--2014-09-28 09:47:41--  https://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/monthly_09_2014/post-14624-0-59968800-1411915299.png
Resolving www.neowin.net... 74.204.71.245, 74.204.71.246, 74.204.71.247
Connecting to www.neowin.net|74.204.71.245|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2014-09-28 09:47:42 ERROR 404: Not Found.
here is link to thread

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1230655-linksys-wrt54gl-tomato-127-firmware-issues/page-2#entry596594281

So now I go back after trying to readd the first image - and its there now.. Its like there is a delay from the time you upload until its available..

Looks like an issue syncing the files between the three front end servers - that would be why the image shows sometimes, and not others, it just depends which one your browser tries to load the file from. Am looking into it and resyncing files now

While those sites are great for sites that don't host their own attachments. They have their own issues.. I would much rather house my attachments with the site its posted on.

If no traffic to images hosted on 3rd party - lots of sites remove the access after x number of days. If too much access also can pull access. So you have some history post that can become useless now because the images are gone. Or useless because its popular, etc.

Also can make the site look slower having to pull images from 3rd party server, etc. etc.

I use neowin's attachments multiple times a day most of the time. It is becoming problematic as of late though - sure hope they get is worked out soon.

This should be fixed, was a sync issue with one of our front end servers that was sorted yesterday PM. I've marked Daves post as solved.

If images again fail to load through our own uploader please report it here.

Same here, the issue doesn't seem to be fixed yet!

Sort-of why I suggested third party image hosting sites. Although, thanks to BudMan I understand why some may prefer using the attachment system instead.

Lets do test here

post-14624-0-15010800-1412427551.png

This prob not going to work

I see this

gHsK8Jo.png

vs a thumbnail of the image. Lets preview this -- yeah still a problem

This is what the post looks like in preview

oMsCGwh.png

edit:

This was with a cleared cache on my browser, browser just restarted using the advanced uploader.

While I agree that might be the root of the problem with images not working - I wouldn't mark that is the solution as of yet ;) Since it clearly is still happening.

I've tracked down the cause to a security update that was done a couple of weeks ago. One of the files changed used to include the code that syncs files between our servers, but that modification was missed from the new version. I've added it back, and am in the process of re-syncing everything that's not correctly in sync. Should now be fixed :)

Never knew people actually used the attachment system on Neowin. I always thought everyone used image hosting sites like Imgur.

I've ALWAYS used the attachment system on Neowin and have NEVER used an image hosting site as most of those are even worse yet, especially if you actually have to go to that site to view image.

I had noticed the problem of broken images in quite a few topics though.

Sweet my test in this thread is now showing the test image that was not working before - good sign.. Sounds like this might be the fix!!!

Sweet my test in this thread is now showing the test image that was not working before - good sign.. Sounds like this might be the fix!!!

Well, that would happen just because I re-synced the images, doesn't prove that newly uploaded things get synced properly ;) But they should do, as the code is now back how it should be

I've ALWAYS used the attachment system on Neowin and have NEVER used an image hosting site as most of those are even worse yet, especially if you actually have to go to that site to view image.

I had noticed the problem of broken images in quite a few topics though.

I can understand that, although Imgur is actually quite a good image hosting site. It certainly sets the example of what all image hosting sites should be.

Anyways, it seems like the attachment system is now fixed, so I guess it doesn't matter. :)