Tinder for cuddling: 'Cuddlr' app finds you strangers to snuggle with

no really, there is. but it's so creepy.

Thanks to the popularity of hook-up apps like Tinder and Grindr, smartphone users have no shortage of options when it comes to looking for no-strings-attached encounters of the... *ahem* "romantic" variety.

But what about those who simply want to cuddle with strangers (assuming that there are actually people out there who want to cuddle with strangers)?

Introducing Cuddlr: a brand new "location-based social-meeting app for cuddling."

Billed as a "no pressure," sex-free version of Tinder and Grindr, Cuddlr works in much the same way as traditional hook-up apps.

Users attach their name, location and photos to a personal profile, search for potential snuggle buddies nearby, and send out cuddle requests to those they're interested in.

If two Cuddlr users are interested in linking up, they'll gain permission to contact each other and set up a meeting ? but only if cuddle requests are responded to within 15 minutes.

Cuddlr will then show both users real-time walking directions to help them find one another and, well, get their cuddle on.

Users may then review their cuddle session with a thumbs-up, or report inappropriate behaviour from other users.

"Our culture doesn't have a space for closeness without pressure," write the app's developers on Cuddlr's website. "The way we talk about meeting and sharing space and contact with someone assumes that it's centered explicitly around sex and dating, or based on the kind of affection a parent might show a child."

"We're not getting the right type of contact often enough; we don't give and get enough hugs," the creators continue. "Hooking up is certainly not always a bad thing, but there's definitely an under-explored time and a place for a more gentle, no-pressure intimacy, and that's what Cuddlr aims to help with." 

The app, which is rated 17+, hit the iTunes app store Thursday to much fanfare from around the web.

Some on Twitter have been praising the app as "cute" and vowing to use it in the future.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/09/tinder-for-cuddling-cuddlr-app-finds-you-strangers-to-snuggle-with.html

-----

now, if you've ever felt the need to spoon with a complete stranger in the middle of the night, you now can :/

I laughed myself off just reading about it on the site but then I checked the twitts (is this the word? :S) on the original article and it doesn't sound that bad :D I mean, if people like it... as a safety measure they should meet for a snuggle in a public place! :D

I laughed myself off just reading about it on the site but then I checked the twitts (is this the word? :s) on the original article and it doesn't sound that bad :D I mean, if people like it... as a safety measure they should meet for a snuggle in a public place! :D

tweets actually ;)

I can see this not ending well. Pervs, serial rapists & killers etc. could run the table using a burn phone or $50 tablet on a hot-spot before being detected.

That is an assumption you can make, but can you back it up? has there been an increase in rapes/murders because of tinder?

• Like 2

I can see this not ending well. Pervs, serial rapists & killers etc. could run the table using a burn phone or $50 tablet on a hot-spot before being detected.

And what's to stop pervs, serial rapists and killers using any other app? 

• Like 2

Yeah I don't see why this would be any less acceptable than Tinder.  So banging some random person you've met through a hookup app is cool, but snuggling with them is somehow worse/creepy/weird? 

I'd say any activity that allows you to keep your clothes on is safer / less creepy than sex but maybe I'm old fashioned.  It's like cuddling is something for relationships while sex is a handshake. :-\

And what's to stop pervs, serial rapists and killers using any other app?

Nothing, which is why they're generally a bad idea. You have no cues to who you meet other than edited glowing pixels and tailored text.

hahah, I tried it. I guess either not many people are using it or it limits the app to people within walking distance.

There is no gender-specific selection, so mine came up with 18 people, 17 of which were male. hahahahahaha .... no thanks.

I laughed myself off just reading about it 

Laughed yourself off? Kinky.

----

As for the OP: I don't like standing next to people on the train, hugging a stranger is really low on my list of hobbies.

• Like 3