Gridiron glitz: Female kicker on high school team and homecoming court [tough girls]

There are several area girls who are playing varsity football, mostly kickers or other special teams positions. Two of them are in neighboring cities.

Here's one:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26641509/gridiron-glitz-female-kicker-on-high-school-team-also-on-homecoming-court

Video story: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/clip/10630311/gridiron-glitz-teen-girl-on-homecoming-court-and-football-team

Gridiron glitz: Female kicker on high school team and homecoming court

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (WJBK) - Allen Park High School's kicker wasn't at Friday's homecoming game only to play, but to appear on the homecoming court - competing for queen.

Rachel Caswell, a senior, was a soccer standout who made the football team and is a standout for the Jaguars.

She also was voted to the homecoming court and made her appearance on the podium in her game jersey and pads.

Coach Tom Hoover said Caswell is no gimmick.

"She's legit," he said. "She can pop the ball on extra points and field goals. We're happy with her, we needed somebody."

It was an emotional night for Caswell.

"I just can't believe this is the beginning of the end," Caswell said. "Senior year is really getting to me Some things only come once, and this is one of those times and it's really hitting me."

For more details watch the video for the complete report.

me-girlkicker3.jpg

and here's another,

http://www.miprepzone.com/thenewsherald/results.asp?ID=10101

Laekyn2.jpg

Maybe it's because I don't pay attention to sports, or maybe this is a US thing, but I don't think I have the first clue about what this article is about. :blink:

US and Canadian Football are major contact sports usually played by the largest, fastest and strongest males, even in middle or high school. A very violent sport with hand-to-hand combat overtones. Our high school team averaged about 112 kg and 1.9m+ tall. Some were much larger.

That females are playing at all is impressive, and kickers, special teams or kick return players are highly specialized. A kicker has to accurately propel the football 45-50+ meters, either from a drop or from a tee. Those returning a kick end up with 11 scary big people trying to drill them into the ground.

Oh ok. So there haven't been female kickers before, and I assume that due to weight it wasn't thought that someone could be a kicker for their team and the homecoming queen (I assume that's what the homecoming bit is about)?

Well, congratulations to them. Break those stereotypes down. Next up, let's have a football player crack the Riemann hypothesis or something. :laugh:

Oh ok. So there haven't been female kickers before, and I assume that due to weight it wasn't thought that someone could be a kicker for their team and the homecoming queen (I assume that's what the homecoming bit is about)?

Well, congratulations to them. Break those stereotypes down. Next up, let's have a football player crack the Riemann hypothesis or something. :laugh:

many years ago, there were no women in the construction (homes or buildings)..  and later, finally women joined the construction... so far, they are doing well..

that's the reason women want to join in something that they want to do... especially car racing which Danica Patrick joined in.

women in football, car racing, construction, motorcycle racing, etc.

99.99% of the time the kicker merely kicks and is not involved in the events following.  You could have a 90 year old out there kicking and they would be safe for the most part.

You overstate that percentage. Kickers and holders (on field goals) are usually the closest to their own goal line after the kick, and so are often the last line of defense against a breakaway runback. They take their licks often enough. Seen it on the field, many times.

You overstate that percentage. Kickers and holders (on field goals) are usually the closest to their own goal line after the kick, and so are often the last line of defense against a breakaway runback. They take their licks often enough. Seen it on the field, many times.

You should check out rugby, Specifically South Africa's team. If you like contact sports, check out a team called the Stormers. An int. top 3 team consistently. 

The majority of male kickers get embarrassed when trying to tackle someone so there's really not much of a difference whether its a male or female kicker, they don't usually have the strength or size to tackle.