Just got a new phone.... and its not the iPhone 6 !

Earlier in the week, I broke my iPhone 5 -

Asked a couple people who's opinion I value & bought a Samsung Galaxy S5.  (they actually told me to get a Nexus 5/6, or G3)

It is a huge change, and will take some time to get used to. (which is fun to do)

If anyone has any app/tweaking/modding tips - I'd appreciate it greatly.

It is strange, I didnt plan on changing any hardware gadgets and in the last 2 weeks, I bought a laptop, sold an ultrabook, destroyed a phone and bought a new one. :D

Are there any SD Cards that work better/faster than others ?

I apologize if this is not the proper forum category

You can root the phone if you want to.

Thats what Im looking @ right now.

Trying to decide which is the "best" custom ROM  in terms of GUI & stability/speed.

Any tips ?

Also, are there any "must have apps" ?  for non-rooted phones ?

Trying to decide which is the "best" custom ROM  in terms of GUI & stability/speed.

Any tips ?

cyangenmod is a good starting point. Check your phone model number and youtube a video on how to do it with the latest Cyangenmod. It comes with all the good tweaks out the box, a nice music player called Apollo, EQ and nice adjustments.

Must have apps I use all the time:

- soundcloud

- reddit is fun

- chrome / firefox

- mymail

- slideshare

- Google docs

- MS word, power point excel  (need a 365 sub)  otherwise use Quickoffice (it does the job really well)

- Airdroid (absolutely amazing app, a must have) for wireless syncing and managing your phone from a nice web GUI. Scan a QR code onscreen and it will log you in, pronto. Its that easy. Music transfer, making calls, backups, you name it , Airdroid does it.

- whatsapp

- viber 

- Nova launcher + vermunds complete theme

• Like 1

Any tips ?

If you root and put a different ROM on it, be careful you don't trip "Knox" warantee flag. You'll have no warantee if that trips to 0x1

See XDA for lots of info.

I recently moved back to Android from iPhone 5, but with the LG G3 (Love the phone so far)

And here are some apps I've grown attached to:

Soundhound/Shazam/Google sound search - All are the same, just depends on which widget or UI you prefer I guess. They just listen in on any song thats playing around you and give you the name and artist incase you want to get that song later on.

Google Translate - I travel a bit and this comes in handy when I go places that don't have many English speakers.

NavFree GPS - Free GPS navigation app which has maps already preloaded so you don't use up your data as quickly.

Speedtest - App that tests your internet connection speeds

Shopping apps - eBay, Catch of the Day, etc.

Swipe keyboard like Swift, my phone has a swipe keyboard already built in but I'm not sure about the S5. I had the S3 and from what I remember it did but if not you can always download one and it makes typing messages much easier and faster.

QR Code reader - Reads those square bar codes and sends you to where you need.

Viber - Free voip chat client

Zedge - Ringtone and wallpaper app. Nice for some customization of your phone.

I'm still looking at weather apps with nice widgets but haven't found one I want to stick with so far, if anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated.

does the samsung s5 still have the issue of amount of space it takes for the OS, last i read it was over 50% was used for the OS and OS Apps.

While I have always recommended an iDevice to everyone, this time I would say that you made the correct choice.

iOS 8 is so buggy that it's almost non usable. iPhone 6 hardware is not cutting edge anymore.

The only thing Apple has going in its favour is the music quality on their iPhones is far far superior to any Androids out there.

I use a iPhone 5c and will not upgrade to 6 or 6+.

The only thing Apple has going in its favour is the music quality on their iPhones is far far superior to any Androids out there.

ummm... no.  I'm no android lover and I really don't like HTC but both HTC and Sony certainly compete if not surpass them on that. 

Well.. My must-have utility apps are:

Chronus

AcDisplay

Fleksy

Link Bubble

Pushbullet

and Muzei :D

And instead of installing a ROM you could also try Xposed with GravityBox

While I have always recommended an iDevice to everyone, this time I would say that you made the correct choice.

iOS 8 is so buggy that it's almost non usable. iPhone 6 hardware is not cutting edge anymore.

I use a iPhone 5c and will not upgrade to 6 or 6+.

I'm sure Apple will iron out the bugs in iOS8.

I agree the iPhone 6 specs aren't very impressive, neither are the missing features that a few of the android flagship phones have; for example wireless charging or features most android phones have like removable batteries, expandable memory, etc.

If your using mobile phone speakers to play music, you really dont care about music sound quality. Get a nice pair of headphones and a high quality music file and it will sound the same on any smartphone.

If your using mobile phone speakers to play music, you really dont care about music sound quality. Get a nice pair of headphones and a high quality music file and it will sound the same on any smartphone.

Not entirely true, a good DAC will sound better. and while Apple has a decent one, they're not the best. 

I'm sure Apple will iron out the bugs in iOS8.

I agree the iPhone 6 specs aren't very impressive, neither are the missing features that a few of the android flagship phones have; for example wireless charging or features most android phones have like removable batteries, expandable memory, etc.

Not entirely true, a good DAC will sound better. and while Apple has a decent one, they're not the best. 

Agreed, though current GSMarena, phonearena and other reputable review sites, put smartphones almost on par SQ wise (The G3, S5, i6, m8)