Folliculitis on the scalp! Please help!

I posted this once before awhile back but didn't really get the answers I was looking for. I have a skin condition on my scalp called Folliculitis. It causes pussing, scarring, bleeding, scabbing, the whole 9 yards basically. I'm 25 years old and I have been battling this since my younger days (high school-ish). I have seen 2 dermatologist's who I feel have done nothing for me but provide creams, gels & pills that have done nothing to help resolve my issue. I take "Doxycycline Hyclate" once a day @ 50mg/pill. It does somewhat keep it under control and bring the issue down to a m i n i m u m....but it doesn't fully get rid of it. I've had both Dermatologist's take samples and send them out to the labs with negative results on anything major. I had a physical done and was told I may have a "hyperactive thyroid" which I'm not even totally sure what that means, but someone mentioned to me it may have to do with my Folliculitis coming back, time & time, over & over again basically just keeping it in my system, if that even makes sense? I also get my regular STD check and I, of course, came back negative for anything except for Herpes in the lip (cold sores). I have several bald spots on my head from this and it started spreading to other areas of my body which kind've has me nervous.

Anyone have any input they can share that might help my situation? :(

One of the most likely culprit is you diet.   What do you eat/drink?

Normally, a diet correction can do more then any pill can ever do, and without side effects.

Normally, a diet correction can do more then any pill can ever do, and without side effects.

Damn, if I had to post it, all of Neowin would kill me. I'll just leave it at Taco Bell & Burger King...

Damn, if I had to post it, all of Neowin would kill me. I'll just leave it at Taco Bell & Burger King...

Srs? Stop eating that crap. If you must eat at a fast food place, go with a better one. Yes, it might cost a bit more but it won't kill you like those will. I'm talking Moe's or Chipotle or Wayback Burger or Five Guys. Still not the best food, but they aren't processed garbage like the super chains.

• Like 3

... I had a physical done and was told I may have a "hyperactive thyroid" which I'm not even totally sure what that means ...

"Hyperactive thyroid" means your thyroid gland is *overactive* and producing too much of it's hormones. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthyroidism

If that is indeed the case (which I'm not saying it is), then you'd want to be referred to an endocrinologist to get it properly diagnosed.

Folliculitis or not, that's something you should change regardless. I don't have to tell you all the reasons why as I'm sure you already know... :p

Well that is your problem.  Eating crap will make you look like crap.   Surprise !!!!

Funny how you are getting Doctors advice and prescription creams, when you clearly putting in this garbage in yourself.

Pretty much expected that you have serious skin problems...

I take "Doxycycline Hyclate" once a day @ 50mg/pill.

that is an antibiotic, that might make it better in the short term, but it will come back later, since the reason for skin issues is not solved.

and god forbid you are using it in long term (more then 2 weeks)      your body will just get adjusted to it, and you will have the same issues, but resilient to at least this antibiotic.

sorry to break it to you, but the fast food must go.\

suffer all you want but you got to get that the diet that does not involve frying for a while. and no white flour either, none of the processed meats either!

anyway, i can give you more advice, but i feel it is pointless, since you are not very likely to comply.   so i guess you can carry on suffering this issues from dawn till dusk.

Double the antibiotic dose for a month.

If you've got widespread acne why not ask for accutane?

Or ask your family doctor for another dermatologist, Google whose best in your area.

Oh and this doesn't count as p roper medical advice, see a doctor for that! I.e. Don't Sue me!!

(Quote snipped by admin)

As to the original question, it could be a number of things. Most likely, it's some kind of fungal infection or food allergy. You could try some colloidal silver. That stuff kills everything. It's also possible you're nutrient / mineral deficient. Eat plenty of fresh vegetables / fruit, nuts (pumpkin seeds/walnuts are especially good because of zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, molybdenum, selenium, etc), probiotic kefir (either homemade or store bought) to build your immune system and gut bacteria, and half a bulb of garlic a day (raw preferably). Cut out all sugars from your diet as fungus/candida loves it.

Magnesium oil (transdermal) is also wonderful for the scalp. Ideally magnesium chloride from ancient seabed sources. MSM (methyl sulphonyl methane), which is essential sulphur. And other supplements could be useful too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not some fat ass kid that sits around and eats fast food all day, holy sh*t. I wasn't expecting this much flame bait in my thread! Easy on me guys...obviously fast food is no good for you and YES I do plan on cutting it out of my diet and eating healthier, not everyone is perfect. I was made aware it could be dairy thats effecting my diet as well. I will try the double up on the dosage's as my current dermatologist suggested that as well. I'm looking into the other suggestions mentioned as well, but want to do my research first before I go and start applying things I have no idea about to my scalp. I appreciate the posts.

Not to get off course, but that is total crap. Diet is very important but its not some miracle you make it out to be.

So let me get this straight -

You probably dont go outside very much due to your "condition" - the only thing you eat is fast food, and are asking strangers on the internet for medical advice (because the Dr(s) arent helping) ?

I see a pattern developing here.

The only thing worse than a non-medical professional giving advice to someone to "double up on their meds" is the person who asked said non professional in the 1st place.

Like so many times, the correct answer is the most obvious, yet for whatever reason - it is ignored.

Do you have any idea what some sun, healthier diet, and exercise would do ?  Sun ?  Yes, getting outside, letting the natural air and sunlight do what it is capable of (in case you didnt know, vitamins are created as well as amino acids.)   And in case you havent read it on the internet yet, eating healthier is a good idea.  Once those things are common, the next step is a little exercise ( and I dont mean getting your cardio up by gaming intensely on X-Box Live)

You mentioned "not everyone is perfect" - no one expects you to be perfect, nor is anyone giving advice or commenting claiming they are without flaws - it is telling you said that though.

Instead of "...do my research first before I go and start applying things I have no idea about...." - wouldnt it make more sense to let a Dr do that instead ?

Oh, 1 more thing - flame bait is when someone posts something for the sole purpose of getting a strong response.  Like dangling bait over a shark tank, or doing something for no other reason than to get people mad.  You said, "..I didnt expect this much flame bait" -- nobody is doing that.

• Like 1

Not to get off course, but that is total crap. Diet is very important but its not some miracle you make it out to be.

Actually it is. Most chronic diseases are rooted in nutritional deficiencies. Your immune system can't fight off bacteria or fungi properly if it's not getting all the essential amino acids, trace minerals, and vitamins it needs. You'd be amazed how resilient the body can be when equipped correctly.

Take for example vitamin C. It's been proven in studies that high doses (1-3g or more) per day can aid the body in fighting common flu's, colds, and other infections. Animals that naturally produce ascorbic acid in their bodies make up to five grams a day, and 12g or more when ill. Due to a genetic flaw, our bodies can no longer make it, so we have to consume it in our food. It's impossible to get those doses without supplementation of pure refined forms. We're lucky if we get 100-200 mg a day. And that assumes good absorption. Because deficiencies cause malabsorbtion, it creates a vicious cycle where you can't get enough even if you eat the right foods.

If you combine vitamin C with MSM (sulphur), your skin will clear and become silky soft, your teeth and gums will improve, and your hair will become shiny. Silica is also good for that. I know because I take it daily myself. I used to have really bad allergies, moderate asthma, and skin irritations. While I still suffer from Asthma from time to time, it's hardly noticeable any more since I started really paying attention to my diet and supplementation. Garlic is miraculous for Asthma sufferers. I consume about half a bulb or more three/four times a week. And if I'm ill, I'll take it every single day.

And don't get me started on antibiotics. That stuff will wipe out your immune system. I only take it as a last resort. And during and after, I make sure to supplement with homemade probiotic kefir to replace my intestinal flora. Antibiotics can cause Crohn's disease and IBS and make you more susceptible to fungus and other infections, especially high doses and long term use.

• Like 1

Everyone on here bashing fast food like they eat a clean and healthy diet, probably got a six pack as well. /s

Yes, you should change your diet, and dieting takes discipline and sucks. But once you get use to it, then you should be good to go. I try shopping for organic foods, and yes I still eat fast food.

Everyone on here bashing fast food like they eat a clean and healthy diet, probably got a six pack as well. /s

Yes, you should change your diet, and dieting takes discipline and sucks. But once you get use to it, then you should be good to go. I try shopping for organic foods, and yes I still eat fast food.

this is the wrong attitute.   dieting does not suck.    and it should not be dieting.      it should be eating better food, and feeling better because of it.  and it does not suck.  it rules ;)

ohh and of course there should be a cheat day once a week, where you eat whatever fastfood you want..  but trust me, ones your body adjusts to healthy diet,   you will probably not enjoy most of it.

my weakness is pizza with lots of cheese and icecream.      :)

snip

This pretty much sums up how I feel. As great as the internet is for most things, but you're coming to a tech forum asking for medical advice. 

Go and see a doctor! If you think they doctor you're currently seeing is giving you bad advice, seek a second opinion, but coming here for medical/health advice is probably not a good idea. 

And doing light exercise and eating properly will do wonders. If it doesn't help your condition it will definitely make you feel a lot better :)

• Like 2