LG G3 vs Sony Xperia Z3

LG G3 vs Sony Z3  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• LG G3 (Pixels and awesome looking UI.)
    • Sony Xperia Z3 (Battery and water proof!)

Ok, so I am due for a new phone and am undecided between these two!

LG G3 - Screen looks great! Clarity is the best I've seen on any screen. I also really like the LG UI; the drop down menu, the music player and etc. I've had the chance to play with one and in my opinion it's the best smart phone out now. I also like the wireless charger.

Cons: not water/dust proof, battery life is bit over 6hrs with constant real world usage test from phone arena which is actually pretty good but not as good as the Z3. I took some photos and they didn't turn out so well.

Sony Xperia Z3 - I haven't had the chance to play with one but from the online reviews it seems pretty good. It is also dust and water proof. Battery life is 2 days with normal usage and tested by phone arena lasted 9hrs of constant usage. It's camera has been tooted as the best for any smart phone.

Cons: UI isn't the best, I haven't seen the screen but I don't expect it to be as good as the G3.

--

I also want a phone that operates well in outdoors on sunny days. I can barely make out anything on my current phone on bright days.

Any other pros and cons people can think of would be much appreciated between the two.

These phones I have decided against: iPhone 6/plus, S5, One m8, notes, Windows Phones. But if you think another phone which is coming out soon would also be good you welcome to bring it up.

I would get Z3.    it is slightly more reasonable size at 5.2" vs 5.5" in g3 which is a bit large for my liking.     i also prefer 1080p screen on the phone (larger res is probably a part of why lg battery is not as great)

so, for myself i would by Z3.     battery life, waterproofing, camera -  all of those are important to me!  music player and menu are not, since i only use only one music app that i like, and i can put any launcher on it as i please ;)

but it's a touch choice since both phones are great.   

• Like 2

The G3 is indeed water resistant to say the least.

I absolutely love the phone though. I've come from a lot of Samsung phones, HTC, Moto. The screen and camera is outstanding. Battery life is decent. I get a least 5 hours of screen on time, sometimes more. 

I recommend the G3!

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies, I think I may just go for the G3.

I decided that I'm most likely not going to take my phone in the pool to take underwater shots, I remember buying a waterproof camera awhile back just so I could take it to the beach and take photos in the water but I never actually bothered to do that. Lol.

So the G3 being splash resistant and able to be submerged under very shallow water for prolonged periods without faults would be good enough.

I prefer the bigger screen and even though the Z3 has a better battery life, the G3 has the ability to remove the rear cover and put in a spare battery or a larger capacity battery later on. I did prefer the overall look of the Z3, but the G3 isn't an ugly phone either.

• Like 2

the G3 has the ability to remove the rear cover and put in a spare battery or a larger capacity battery later on

good point :)

i hate that on my htc one (m7)

after 1.5 years of heavy use, the battery is crap!   i wish i could just replace it.

• 1 month later...

Xperia z3 is better in terms of durability and battery

Everybody has different opinions because of different features and likes

Buddy, i think you should buy z3 if you are a very heavy user, if you are ready to compromise your usage,then go for LG g3

Gud luck!

I

Ok, so I am due for a new phone and am undecided between these two!

LG G3 - Screen looks great! Clarity is the best I've seen on any screen. I also really like the LG UI; the drop down menu, the music player and etc. I've had the chance to play with one and in my opinion it's the best smart phone out now. I also like the wireless charger.

Cons: not water/dust proof, battery life is bit over 6hrs with constant real world usage test from phone arena which is actually pretty good but not as good as the Z3. I took some photos and they didn't turn out so well.

Sony Xperia Z3 - I haven't had the chance to play with one but from the online reviews it seems pretty good. It is also dust and water proof. Battery life is 2 days with normal usage and tested by phone arena lasted 9hrs of constant usage. It's camera has been tooted as the best for any smart phone.

Cons: UI isn't the best, I haven't seen the screen but I don't expect it to be as good as the G3.

--

I also want a phone that operates well in outdoors on sunny days. I can barely make out anything on my current phone on bright days.

Any other pros and cons people can think of would be much appreciated between the two.

These phones I have decided against: iPhone 6/plus, S5, One m8, notes, Windows Phones. But if you think another phone which is coming out soon would also be good you welcome to bring it up.

which one did you end up getting?  if any.    

and how are you liking it?

Guys whats bezels and how does it affect the smartfones????

the space around the screen.   basically wasted space on the front of the phone. 

Apple-iPhone-5s-bezel.jpg

the unused space around the screen.

Tx jim........ But i don't think that because matter much in front of battery life, as, ultimately a gud battery will help in handy situations instead of choosing lg for the sake of bezels......... What do to think??

Tx jim........ But i don't think that because matter much in front of battery life, as, ultimately a gud battery will help in handy situations instead of choosing lg for the sake of bezels......... What do to think??

yeah.   my current phone is always dying on me.   i much prefer the larger battery. 

yeah. my current phone is always dying on me. i much prefer the larger battery.

Same here buddy...... I hve mmx canvas hd which cant last more than 2 hours of screen on time...... Which phone do you hve??

Same here buddy...... I hve mmx canvas hd which cant last more than 2 hours of screen on time...... Which phone do you hve??

htc one (m7)..     it is 1.5 years old.       and i dropped it a few times.     the battery is really bad.        i LOVE the phone, but the battery goes fast :(       

i don't want to waste the money on new phone as this phone is otherwise perfect for me.

The bezels do serve a purpose in that, they can reduce accidental touch input from your palm / thumb etc whilst holding the device and trying to use the device for quick everyday use.

The magnetic docks are really good on the Xperia Z line.

Ohhh, i see

htc one (m7).. it is 1.5 years old. and i dropped it a few times. the battery is really bad. i LOVE the phone, but the battery goes fast :(

i don't want to waste the money on new phone as this phone is otherwise perfect for me.

Hey, y don't you go to the service centre and tell them to replace your battery..... They will charge you a bit and then it will be as if it's still new.... Hehe

Ohhh, i see

Hey, y don't you go to the service centre and tell them to replace your battery..... They will charge you a bit and then it will be as if it's still new.... Hehe

i tried it with my older HTC One X, and it did not look the same,  the phone is not easy to open.    there is visible damage after

from ifixit website:   Repairability: 1 / 10

this phone is unrepairable :(

I have the LG G3 as my phone, and I own a Xperia Z2 Tablet.

I much prefer LG's added UI to Sony's, but can only comment about the Z2's tablet UI, not sure how different the Z3's phone UI is, if at all.

The G3 is just a beast all around. I have not only complaint about it to be honest. It is a great phone.

• Like 3

+1 for the LG G3...

I dislike bezels, they are just wasted space IMO...

The G3s UI is a lot more polished than anything i've seen on sony  ( a z2 and z), a lot snappier too.

I used to own lg g3 sold it and bought xperia Z2. In terms of performance, z2 wins hands down,you can still experience lag with lg g3. And now i'm still waiting for my z3 (just released in my country). Sony UI is the closest among other manufacturers to stock android,it's simple and lag free. Oh and also,the battery life is sick. Sometimes it lasts me 2days without charging.

I

which one did you end up getting?  if any.    

and how are you liking it?

Hey Jim,

I ended up going with the LG G3, I think I bought it like a day or two after that last post. So far I really like it. its a huge improvement over the last android phone I owned and as smooth as the iPhone in regards to UI movements.

I had android phones previously but moved back to apple just because of the lag between motions and the fact that android seemed lot less stable than ios and my apps would sometimes crash or something would not work correctly and I would have to reboot the phone for it to work properly again. IOS also has issues like that but they were a lot less common. I think Android is almost on par with IOS now and because of the benefits of Android phones I decided to give Android another go and I can say so far I am happy with that swap but the fact that I bought the LG G3 I think that also was very helpful.

The LG G3 UI is fairly simple and looks good, I would say I personally hate the touchwiz UI especially the messenger (SMS) app and didn't want to go with samsung because of it. I knew I could root the phone and install a clean android os but its a bit of a hassle plus I could do the same to any other android phone. The specs on the LG G3 are awesome and with the LG loader it runs very well. I don't like the look and feel of the S5, the heartrate monitor on the S5 to me was useless I wouldn't use it and my friends that own the phone never use it and the only feature of the S5 that other phones don't have and I would make use of was the finger print scanner which unlocks your phone but I could live without it.

I didn't get the Xperia Z3 so I can't really compare it to the G3 with hands on use but a friend has the Xperia Z2 and I played around with it and the Z3 is just a modest upgrade from it according to review sites and I just prefered the G3. The phone is much bigger than the iphone 5 I had and it took some getting used to, but now that I have I feel like I need to squint every time I look at my iphone 5 (Which I use as a secondary alarm because I'm not a mourning person and enjoy my sleep therefore need multiple alarms to get me out of bed; LG G3, iPad Mini and iPhone 5).

I choose the G3 over the Z3 because it had wireless charging, Stock UI looks great, removable battery (Z3 has great battery life but after about a years use all batteries deteriate and don't last anywhere near as long as new and its not replaceable on the Z3), G3 screen looks super crisp in 4K, you notice the difference when you put it side-by-side to other phones, G3 uses micro-SIM while the Z3 uses nano-SIM; this most likely won't be important for most but I travel a lot for work and some countries I visit you'll be hard pressed to find a nano-SIM card and sometimes when I cut it down to size to be a nano-SIM for my previous phone I've damaged the SIM and it has become useless, G3 also has a lot less bezel, its screen-to-body ratio I believe is currently the highest compared to any other phone and if I'm going to get a large phone then majority of its size should just be the screen.

• Like 1

Hey Jim,

I ended up going with the LG G3, I think I bought it like a day or two after that last post. So far I really like it. its a huge improvement over the last android phone I owned and as smooth as the iPhone in regards to UI movements.

I had android phones previously but moved back to apple just because of the lag between motions and the fact that android seemed lot less stable than ios and my apps would sometimes crash or something would not work correctly and I would have to reboot the phone for it to work properly again. IOS also has issues like that but they were a lot less common. I think Android is almost on par with IOS now and because of the benefits of Android phones I decided to give Android another go and I can say so far I am happy with that swap but the fact that I bought the LG G3 I think that also was very helpful.

The LG G3 UI is fairly simple and looks good, I would say I personally hate the touchwiz UI especially the messenger (SMS) app and didn't want to go with samsung because of it. I knew I could root the phone and install a clean android os but its a bit of a hassle plus I could do the same to any other android phone. The specs on the LG G3 are awesome and with the LG loader it runs very well. I don't like the look and feel of the S5, the heartrate monitor on the S5 to me was useless I wouldn't use it and my friends that own the phone never use it and the only feature of the S5 that other phones don't have and I would make use of was the finger print scanner which unlocks your phone but I could live without it.

I didn't get the Xperia Z3 so I can't really compare it to the G3 with hands on use but a friend has the Xperia Z2 and I played around with it and the Z3 is just a modest upgrade from it according to review sites and I just prefered the G3. The phone is much bigger than the iphone 5 I had and it took some getting used to, but now that I have I feel like I need to squint every time I look at my iphone 5 (Which I use as a secondary alarm because I'm not a mourning person and enjoy my sleep therefore need multiple alarms to get me out of bed; LG G3, iPad Mini and iPhone 5).

I choose the G3 over the Z3 because it had wireless charging, Stock UI looks great, removable battery (Z3 has great battery life but after about a years use all batteries deteriate and don't last anywhere near as long as new and its not replaceable on the Z3), G3 screen looks super crisp in 4K, you notice the difference when you put it side-by-side to other phones, G3 uses micro-SIM while the Z3 uses nano-SIM; this most likely won't be important for most but I travel a lot for work and some countries I visit you'll be hard pressed to find a nano-SIM card and sometimes when I cut it down to size to be a nano-SIM for my previous phone I've damaged the SIM and it has become useless, G3 also has a lot less bezel, its screen-to-body ratio I believe is currently the highest compared to any other phone and if I'm going to get a large phone then majority of its size should just be the screen.

IMO from an engineering stand point, LG did a good job in screen ratio... Also +1 on touchpus I mean Touchwiz... never ever buying samsung after having owned a galaxy s4

I have the G3 and I'm very happy with it. It's the first Android phone I've owned where I like the custom UI changes they've made.

I also didn't think I'd use it much, but after a few weeks I'm loving the wireless charging capability. 

<snipped>

How's the battery life on your day-to-day use? I'm choosing between this, M8, or Z3 and battery life is the only thing that's preventing me from choosing it. I trust Neowin members more :P