Ubuntu 14.04

Feel free to express your past experiences with the amazing operating system Ubuntu 14.04.

Ubuntus' slick interface makes navigation between windows an irresistible delicacy.

Though Ubuntu is a free operating system, i would gladly pay $200 for the operating system.

If you like Linux, you will love Ubuntu!

What makes Ubuntu so much better?

-It's a secret but i guess i can tell you.. ITS OPEN SOURCE!!! THATS RIGHT!!!

6ffea670_l.png

4c650945_l.png

55f108a7_l.png

love any ubuntu based distro. apt-get and deb files really make life easy plus there is such a big community out there and on kdes side i can say the developpers are very nice and open to your suggestions. find a bug? a problem? usually you report and the same day there is a patch/update available. very impressive.

i ain't a rich guy but i did some donations to kde/kubuntu because as you i say it would be even worth money.

customization is nearly endless and options as well. being a linux-only user since 2009 and could have not made a better switch. :)

If you like Linux, you will love Ubuntu!

What makes Ubuntu so much better?

-It's a secret but i guess i can tell you.. ITS OPEN SOURCE!!! THATS RIGHT!!!

Just like all the other Linux distros out there? or are you comparing this to Windows / OSX?

Ubuntu is a solid distro and certainly one of the most user friendly. I do however think the desktop environment / user interface are pretty poor.

I do really like the direction Elementary OS, which is based on Ubuntu is going.

Just like all the other Linux distros out there? or are you comparing this to Windows / OSX?

Ubuntu is a solid distro and certainly one of the most user friendly. I do however think the desktop environment / user interface are pretty poor.

I do really like the direction Elementary OS, which is based on Ubuntu is going.

ofc he is comparing to windows/osx, no need for a linux infight, they all have their pros and cons, however freedom and choice prevails over company forced desktop interfaces and other "goodies".

just think of all the apps and programs you can use in linux, desktops from very simple, to medium advanced up to the latest kde which offers so many things and options.

ofc he is comparing to windows/osx, no need for a linux infight, they all have their pros and cons, however freedom and choice prevails over company forced desktop interfaces and other "goodies".

just think of all the apps and programs you can use in linux, desktops from very simple, to medium advanced up to the latest kde which offers so many things and options.

Freedom and choice is always good, however as this topic is about Ubuntu all i'm saying is the one major area i think Ubuntu is letdown in is the desktop environment. To put it bluntly i don't really like any of them, even though you can customise them to your hearts content i've never really been happy with any of my results.

Other than that i personally like Ubuntu and think its a very capable OS.

Freedom and choice is always good, however as this topic is about Ubuntu all i'm saying is the one major area i think Ubuntu is letdown in is the desktop environment. To put it bluntly i don't really like any of them, even though you can customise them to your hearts content i've never really been happy with any of my results.

Other than that i personally like Ubuntu and think its a very capable OS.

hm but i think this is not really an issue. you can run ubuntu with something else than unity. no one is forcing you to use it , contrary to mac osx and ms windows.

and they are all free. you still don't like them? fine, go and program another DI .. no skill for this? ok, then at least make use of launchpad and bugs.kde.org, or their forums and give them a clear plan what you want to see and how it should look like. chances, that stuff will get implemented are quite big.

I'll stick with Debian Wheezy and crank up VirtualBox when I need to run Windows stuff. I've tried Ubuntu, but I guess I'm not a fan of Shuttleworth and Canonical. I know it's a little thing, but I don't like getting hit up for money as soon as I head to the download page. I will say that Ubuntu was my first exposure to Linux, so I wish it all the best for those who are fans of it.

I was a Debian user for long(~2001). Now, I don't love hassles of apt-pinning with testing and sid for latest packages(particularly Gnome) and perennially waiting for latest packages to hit sid repos. Ubuntu LTS seems a good option for people like us, who wants comparatively recent packages and Long Term Support(LTS).

But, the only problem is.. "Unity"! I and many others wants Gnome while Kubuntu serves KDE fans. Ubuntu has a separate spin for Gnome called Ubuntu-Gnome which is, unfortunately not refined enough(I faced some random-freeze issues with a Samsung rv509 notebook). Ubuntu with default Gnome is welcome. IMO, Gnome-shell is a easy and welcome, uncluttered UI experience.

Also, Ubuntu moving away from "Standards" and making their own "Standards"(like MSFT does). for e.g, they are pushing X replacement as Mir while Linux community in general are focussing on wayland as a replacement.

i gave the ubuntu gnome edition a try on my notebook but somehow gnome, while the darkmode is cool, uses way too much screenspace and the options in the file manager are non existant compared to kde dolphin. also i want just have the folder marked when i enter the first letter of it's name instead of this gnome file manager starts a search. not my taste at all.

I switched an older XP64 machine to Ubuntu and recently upgraded to 14.04. I picked Ubuntu because it's a more popular desktop OS, and also the one Steam client recommends etc. I use openSuse and Debian at work mostly. Anyway, I've found a few annoying things about it. First there is a bug when copying picture files from my phone (via USB) using the default file manager resets the date/time stamp... not cool. For now I just copy them via another machine to a samba share. Recently there was an update that resulted in unity crashing, but that seems to have gone away, hopefully fixed by another update. Getting Ubuntu to work with my nVidia GT 430 PCI (not express) is hit and miss. The opensource driver hates it, but I've had pretty good luck with the official nVidia driver, except now with 14.04 I've had to use the oldest driver version available as the others lock it up. Or at least they did when I first upgraded... haven't felt like messing with it since. I'm not sure if I like the dock or not, it's ok I guess. 

It seems fine otherwise. I like how well wine is integrated.

IIRC, tux magazine also concluded that KDE is the de facto Linux DE. they were wrong. some of us, will be remembering them for the KDE fanaticism. somebody's post in this thread, reminded me this! :)

i don't think it's kde fanatism to acknowledge that this DE is all in all stronger than the rest.

have a read here:

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/best-linux-desktop-kdes-plasma-1.html

KDE Plasma consistently tops reader polls with an average of 35-40 percent. In such a diverse market, these figures indicate a broad appeal that other Linux desktop alternatives can't match.

i have used nearly everything. gnome 2, 3, unity, xfce, lxde and kde. the last one takes more time to get into because of the many options it offers, but once you have it set up you don't wanna go back. all the amazing effects, options, many kde programs are amazing and better than any other free alternative out there, the list could go on.

what iteration will they incorporate KDE 5, the new UI? I know Ubuntu is the title of this thread but any ETA?

i think many are cautious because kde plasma next is still not 100% stable and some things (akonadi server for kmail) not yet implemented.

afair i read something that opensuse will be one of the first to include it but i could be completely wrong here...

2 Jack, i'm kinda articular to KDE 5. I'll let them gets the kinks out first then make the plunge. does steam work with Kubuntu by the way?

2 Jack, i'm kinda articular to KDE 5. I'll let them gets the kinks out first then make the plunge. does steam work with Kubuntu by the way?

good strategy there sir. it's nearly the same for me. while i test project neon 5 via the kubuntu ppa daily packages, my main system still runs on kde 4 because by now this is rockstable and i could not ask for more. but project neon 5 is on a very good way, it's very snappy, very easy on memory, still a few glitches but knowing the team i am sure they will be on it and probably in half a year or so we can give it a go.

steam works on linux, so on ubuntu/kubuntu as well. :)

i think it's even in the package manager ready to install and use.

This is something I got after  a google search for "best distro for long term use":

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS: Why you should not use it, at all

that's a personal opinion rather than anything else. and as there are so many distributions out there, you will find nearly any for and against whatever distro...