Nexus 6 is a phablet

this would be a crying shame if true.  I don't mind the idea of a phablet from a device point of view, but I do need something I can put in my pocket - my Nexus 4 already pushes the boundaries of this.

I refuse to buy an Android device that isn't a Nexus (GPE devices aren't available here), so would have to look into the idea of a Lumia for the first time (my wife has one, it is a very nice device), or an iPhone again.

But Google isn't afraid of alienating customers....

I feel like the only one loving the idea of a 5.9 inch Nexus.

Bring it on! :D

I'm with you, the bigger the better. 

People forget that these devices are not used as phones much anymore, and that any sane person using their phone for calls will used a headset of some sort. These devices are essentially PDAs and I like that I can actually SEE what I need to see, especially those of us with poor eyesight, me I just got a G3 and for the first time I didn't have to adjust the font size, default is good for me now and I can adjust if needed 

I wish someone would make a 4.5" 1080p phone.  I have good enough eyesight for it and im tired of them getting bigger and bigger every year.  I thought we were trying to make technology more compact?

I wish someone would make a 4.5" 1080p phone.  I have good enough eyesight for it and im tired of them getting bigger and bigger every year.  I thought we were trying to make technology more compact?

there are no 1080p 4.5" phones.

however, the original HTC One is 4.7" 1080 and I love it.   Using it now.  :)

also at 4.7" 1080p  is Vertu Signature Touch   :woot:

there is a small problem with it though:

:shifty: The phone comes with a $11,300 price tag for the basic model, according to Vertu's website. :shifty:

I was on the fence for months about the Note 3. I wanted to hold one before I was committed to the upcoming Note 4. Once I tried one in my hands it was not so bad. But there is no way I'm going over 5.7"

• 2 weeks later...

You'd think they would have looked at the sales numbers of the Galaxy S# vs the Galaxy Note, and make a smarter business decision.

You've mistaken the purpose of Nexus devices.  If they were interested in making money they wouldn't subsidize them and release more than one phone/tablet a year.

You've mistaken the purpose of Nexus devices.  If they were interested in making money they wouldn't subsidize them and release more than one phone/tablet a year.

Are you implying that the Nexus devices are intended to be developer devices?  I would kind of believe that.

That puzzles me though since Google has a golden opportunity to blow Samsung out of the water with superior devices.

Are you implying that the Nexus devices are intended to be developer devices?  I would kind of believe that.

That puzzles me though since Google has a golden opportunity to blow Samsung out of the water with superior devices.

They started out that way, yes.  Though I think the scope changed to something else closer to a reference platform to showcase Google's latest software achievements in Android.

Otherwise seeing the latest and greatest would be at the mercy of OEMs which of course has been somewhat alleviated by GPE devices.

I was holding out for the Nexus 6, but at 6 inches, i think I'll pass. Way too big.

So I will probably just get the LG G3. 5.5 is about as big as I'll go.

If the leaked renders are reasonable accurate, the actual overall physical size of the handset appears technically smaller than an Apple 6 Plus (and Apple seems to selling those) and about the same size as the Note 4 so there is clearly a market for this sized handset - including me.

I was holding out for the Nexus 6, but at 6 inches, i think I'll pass. Way too big.

The size to screen ratio is one of the best for comercially available brands .

Was considering a note. I like big screens. I'll just keep waiting to see an announcement from Google....

Waiting to see prices on this and possibly the lumia 830. Wonder which will be cheaper unlocked..... I'm just waiting to see who gets to win my next purchase.

Nexus devices are the hardware Google uses to develop a new version of Android on.  They are Google's internal dev platform if you will and as such are both a developer platform for others when released as well a reference design to showcase the new capabilities of the new OS version.  They are not made to make a ton of money and Google doesn't make hardware so they have no reason to "blow Samsung out of the water".  In fact Google probably makes more money from Samsung's licensing fees for Google Play then they would if they sold an equivalent amount of Nexus devices.  What Google DOES want it to encourage Samsung and other OEMs not to put crappy skins on top of Android or even fork it like Amazon has done. 

You do realize that the number in the name is the screen size.  So as soon as rumors came out there was a nexus 6 people already knew it was around 6 inches, that's not news.  They do round to the nearest whole number though so MAYBE it could have been as small as like 5.6" or something but it wasn't going to be like 5.2" or it wouldn't be a Nexus 6, it would be a Nexus 5 (2014).

Well, it's announced and at the rumored 649 USD for the 32gb version, Google has certainly moved to a new business model for their Nexus phones. I'd love to have the phone but can't justify the cost (was expecting 499ish).

Well, it's announced and at the rumored 649 USD for the 32gb version, Google has certainly moved to a new business model for their Nexus phones. I'd love to have the phone but can't justify the cost (was expecting 499ish).

I agree. The price is just too high, almost double the N5 was for the lowest option.

This is sad - high end flagship price, and a huge phone in tow. The primary point of the N5 was a dev. phone or phone to show off KitKat, and was competitively priced (for an off-contract unlocked phone). I do like they are selling the N5 but I wish it got a slight refresh - tweaked camera, bigger battery, something! 

At this point devices like the OnePlus One and other cheap unlocked phones are looking far more attractive than this behemoth of an expensive phone.

I'm on Verizon and grandfathered with unlimited data that I don't want to lose.  I really don't see anything that the Nexus 6 offers me that say the Droid Turbo doesn't.  Moto has been very quick on the OS updates (running 4.4.4 on my Droid Mini right now and they've already said even it will get Android L) and their skin is pretty close to stock android so for me the Nexus 6 is a bust.

I'm on Verizon and grandfathered with unlimited data that I don't want to lose.  I really don't see anything that the Nexus 6 offers me that say the Droid Turbo doesn't.  Moto has been very quick on the OS updates (running 4.4.4 on my Droid Mini right now and they've already said even it will get Android L) and their skin is pretty close to stock android so for me the Nexus 6 is a bust.

The Droid Turbo looks like what the Nexus 6 should have been.

Shame I'll never see it in the UK :(

I'll stick to my Nexus 5 until the next round of smartphones with Android L and 805's (or better).

This re-enforces to me that importing the OnePlus One back in June was the right thing to do, the Nexus 6 is ever so slightly better on paper, however is at least ?180 more than the OnePlus (Probably more once we find out the UK price).

Sadly It's not really a high end phone at a mid range price like the Nexus 4 and 5 have been, it's a flagship phone at a flagship price. One that is just a bit too big in my opinion.

Very surprised I must admit, it will be interesting to see how the Nexus 6 does in reviews.

the video trailer was released as an amoled display but when you actually go onto their website, it is displayed as QHD..wth

What? Those things aren't the same category. One is dealing with display tech and the other is resolution. AMOLED displays can be FHD or QHD or whatever as well.

• Like 1

Indeed. The Galaxy S5 is AMOLED, the Nexus 5 is LED both are 1080p resolutions.

I'm still reserved. The price point is possibly the biggest turn off.  That screen looks amazing though.

Well, I landed up with a OnePlus invite in my mailbox yesterday. Timing was a bit coincidental... I couldn't pass on that 64GB black sandstone deal. Not quite as strong a performer as the Nexus 6 will likely be but close enough for my needs and at half the price. 

• Like 1