Why did Microsoft skip Windows 9?

Unless they are keeping Windows 9 as middle release due to recent news about rolling out 10 in mid-2015, such change in product name has almost no sense at all - nothing was wrong with Windows 9 but they had to be somehow "original" I think. Also, introducing back the flagship element of their OS interface, making metro apps running as "classic" applications in windows, notifications, virtual desktop and unified across devices app-garden aren't good reasons to bump product name.
IMO things that Mary Jo Foley said about the reasons of change are just a bunch of corporate bs - with all respects of course.

• Like 1

Mid 2015 was always going to be the release date for the next version, be it 9 or as we now know 10.    Also, the way they talk about it and all the new dynamic UI work with Continuum, I'd say this is going to be a much bigger overall upgrade from 8.1 than what people first expected.

changing from names to versions and back is not that new and can give a "new" impression. however just increasing the number by 2 steps has a cheap bytaste to me. it's like kde went from 3.5 to 5 and now 7. or mac os from 7 9 11 or something like that.

You guys know of any other software that skipped version numbers?

They're names. Not version numbers. Windows 8 is actually version 6.2. I always thought that was funny when people were calling OS X releases "service packs" because Apple only raised the version number by .1. Microsoft has been doing the exact same thing since Windows Vista.

• Like 2

Maybe they skipped Windows 9 due to the fact that this wouldn't be a good thing for marketing to the German community.

Care to explain what would be a problem with "Windows Neun"?

Office went from 12 to 14.

They're names. Not version numbers. Windows 8 is actually version 6.2.

Way to confuse the tech people MSFT... wonder what the average consumer thinks?

Office... skipped version 13.0.

Version 12.0 was Office 2007. Version 14.0 was Office 2010.

• Like 1

Care to explain what would be a problem with "Windows Neun"?

Office went from 12 to 14.

I think their branding is messed up... Bing, MSN, Windows [Year], Windows [Number] ... each year something different to confuse peope.

Windows 1, Windows 2, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.

It all makes total sense.

Agree 100%.

Tons of them. Version numbers are not a science. You can choose whatever the hell you want.

Plus, even Windows 7 is actually version 6.1.

Way to confuse the tech people MSFT... wonder what the average consumer thinks?

The average consumer doesn't know, nor care, that Windows 8 was actually version number 6.2.

And actual tech people understand why it's 6.2.