Poll: Are you going to install the Windows 10 preview, and if yes how?

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to install the Windows 10 preview, and if yes how?

• Yes, as primary OS on my primary PC.
    • Yes, as secondary OS on my primary PC.
    • Yes, on a secondary PC.
    • Yes, in a virtual machine.
    • Maybe when the OS has matured some more.
    • No.

I will wait for the consumer preview.  I'll have more fun playing with an (almost) feature complete version than what is effectively an early beta.  (this is not a shot at the tech preview or Win10, mind you.  I'm super excited; looks like 2015 will be a year for a new phone and a new Surface!)

Virtual machine, I would never rely on a build that's still got a year to cook for my primary OS. Definitely going to mess with it, looks excellent so far, but it's pretty much guaranteed to have bugs, not everything will run properly, stuff is going to change/features missing yet, etc etc. This system is a big source of income for me.. it must be stable.

It'll be my primary OS, like with others here I've done it with 8 and had a few small issues, so don't mind doing it again with 10

I'll be installing it as the primary os on my laptop, though I did a full backup of the current win 8.1 just in case. I haven't had any major problems with pre releases OS's from MS since the Vista beta days, hoping that continues to be the case here.

I will use Hyper-V to test it out.

I'll be installing it as the primary os on my laptop, though I did a full backup of the current win 8.1 just in case. I haven't had any major problems with pre releases OS's from MS since the Vista beta days, hoping that continues to be the case here.

I just find it funny how people install as primary OS a preview that is not even complete yet with all the remaining features and improvements. Good Luck to you.

I'm gonna throw it on my laptop to see how it runs on older hardware. 

Studio XPS 16.  C2D 2.4GHz, 4GB, 120 GB SSD, ATI GPU.

Should be alright.  I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Going in a VM for now until it's good to go as my main OS next year.   No rush to mess with things and 8.1 is running smooth for me.

Just curious, is this open to the public? Or will I need some sort of paid Microsoft subscription?

it is a tech preview... but public preview is coming in mid 2015.

Not sure about subscription... So far I know, it would be free for the users of Windows 8.x

I'll be sticking it on my work laptop, but will probably wait until the release of Yosemite and then reload everything :)

Aren't you afraid that everything could change during those 6 whole months before the public release? Also what was that thing about just scratching the surface? Whose Surface was it? :o

Oh yes that's my biggest fear in life. I wake up in cold sweats at night worrying about the possibility of changes to my computer.

/s

It'll be going on a secondary HDD like every pre-release build since Vista.. Never trust a secondary partition on the same HDD as your primary OS.

This is going to be a much earlier build than usual previews usually are, you be careful out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Secondary OS on my desktop, and only OS on my notebook - alongside, and replacing, 8.1 update 1 respectively.

What makes it interesting is the notebook install - not the desktop install; the interesting part is that the notebook is older than the desktop.  Most notebooks have issues with the wireless adapter NOT working - and this was a clean install, on an old (Vista-era!) notebook, with a likewise-old dual-N wireless adapter.  Despite the trainload of old hardware, I had no trouble whatever.  Either my luck was incredibly good, or Microsoft got a lot of backward-compatibility right with the Technical Preview.

Installed it on VMWare Player, works quite well for a Tech Preview. Not impressed with it so far, I don't like the direction Windows is heading in since Windows 8 and there's little in this preview to make me change my mind. I'll definitely be installing newer builds and see how it evolves.