Dissapointed in the Windows 10 Tech preview so far

PowerShell is version 5 as opposed to version 4 in Windows 8.1.  That's a fairly significant "under the hood" change for me.

Couple of PowerShell specific UI changes:

1. You can resize the window horizontally *gasp*
  2. Holding Alt whilst dragging means that you can do non-columnar selection *whoop*

Since I use PowerShell by default now (Even Cygwin has taken a back seat), these are quite handy.

• Like 2

Windows 10 is not disappointing as it's everything that Microsoft has stated what was in the preview. We are a year out of release but how Windows is being updated now, it's not going to matter. I'm looking forward to the updates but at the same time, I'm glad what is here, works for the most part. I've already sent feedback to the team (I want tiles on my desktop as if it was an icon)...Widgets 2.0

Funny. I wonder how many people think the definition of a developer preview is "something that is meant to entertain me".

Edit: I do sympathize that the changelog for these builds isn't exposed so that we can all pour over the background changes that aren't visible. But I don't really think that's ever going to be the case.

• Like 2

Even I got bored of the TP fast. Nothing new. Feels and runs like 8.1

The only thing new I noticed was fade effect while launching new programs or windows.

Rest of the stuff was meh!

Back to 8.1 now

Even I got bored of the TP fast. Nothing new. Feels and runs like 8.1

The only thing new I noticed was fade effect while launching new programs or windows.

Rest of the stuff was meh!

Back to 8.1 now

seriously? This build is not meant for eye candy suckers. Your turn will come.
  • Like 2

Some might also be sad to know the old classic Windows 95 look still lives on in Windows 10, albeit hidden from access by any normal means. It will always be underneath the surface for as along as win32 keeps breathing, I suspect.

post-289974-0-19827100-1412217743.jpg

More useful options at the ease of access center where you can now define if you want the on screen keyboard before and after sign in, just before or just after.

I actually love the preview, after doing a complete image back up of my whole system just in case I didn't like it, I decided to just upgrade my 8.1 install to Windows 10, I'm amazed at how smooth everything is running, so far only my Antivirus isn't working, everything else runs just fine and super fast, love the new features and animations.

• Like 2

which pretty much trying to copy/adopt Firefox's dev-cyles style.

I'm pretty sure Firefox doesn't own a development methodology that's been steadily rising in popularity across the entire industry for more than a decade now.

• Like 3

I actually love the preview, after doing a complete image back up of my whole system just in case I didn't like it, I decided to just upgrade my 8.1 install to Windows 10, I'm amazed at how smooth everything is running, so far only my Antivirus isn't working, everything else runs just fine and super fast, love the new features and animations.

Same for me, so far everything is smooth, and I was expecting to have serious issues since my rig is literally brand new hardware (5960x, x99 platform etc...).

This is just the tip of the iceberg guys, there's a lot more coming, and that will be seen with the build updates that will be coming down.  Cortana, Notification Center, UI improvements.  There's a LOT to be looking forward to.

why not dual boot with 8.1?

Because dual boots are a total PITA for me, I don't like to reboot.  Plus my theory is if I am going to truly test something then I should be using it every day.  So far the preview has been good for me, everything I use on a regular basis is working perfectly.

• Like 1

Because dual boots are a total PITA for me, I don't like to reboot.  Plus my theory is if I am going to truly test something then I should be using it every day.  So far the preview has been good for me, everything I use on a regular basis is working perfectly.

Well thats what I did with my laptop. I split the partition in haft. I only had to install Office and chrome. I went to my Windows 8 partition and added my user pictures, docs and etc as libraries. That way I wouldnt have to move anything.

Not going to install the preview (not until Cortana / IE12 anyway),

I am worried about modern IE missing and thus worried that it will be too touch UN-friendly.

Most screenshots I see are not for tablets (anything with taskbar showing).

I also hope that all icons will get replaced, right now it looks like Frankenstein.

Taskbar and Navigation properties is old school - which again is an ugly clash between 2000 and 2014 design.

I'm pretty sure Firefox doesn't own a development methodology that's been steadily rising in popularity across the entire industry for more than a decade now.

well, theres Vista & 8 & ME ...

Not going to install the preview (not until Cortana / IE12 anyway),

I am worried about modern IE missing and thus worried that it will be too touch UN-friendly.

Most screenshots I see are not for tablets (anything with taskbar showing).

I also hope that all icons will get replaced, right now it looks like Frankenstein.

Taskbar and Navigation properties is old school - which again is an ugly clash between 2000 and 2014 design.

It indeed isn't a touch friendly UI. You can't run Modern apps like they used to anymore, they now run in windows and you have to close them through the close button. The gesture doesn't work. And when closing an app, it Always returns to the desktop instead of start. Not to mention IE missing. I'm reverting until this gets better, in the meantime, I'm enjoying the startscreen on my laptop in Windows 10.

Early previews of Vista, 7 and 8 were absolutely not like this. They were brand new OS's with tons of stuff to dosciver and play around with.

No, "Tech Previews" were not. They were exactly like this. Major changes to API's, runtimes and back end services. If you want new polish and front facing sparkly bits then you need to wait a while for a future consumer preview.

Nothing annoys me more than when people jump on betas/alphas/previews and then complain about it being buggy or lack luster or not very good.

Apple fans are the worst for it, paying $99/year for a dev account when they aint even devs just so they can get the beta OSX/iOS before anyone else and then sit on Twitter all day pointing out what doesn't work... /facepalm

There's a difference between 'complaining' and expecting more. I'm running the preview as the primary OS on my main pc and have already submitted feedback many times, the whole point of this preview is to provide MS constructive criticism, its not complaining.

• Like 2