Add domain to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

I know this is probably a simple thing to do, but how do you setup the domain for a outside domain, for example "example.com" so whenever I enter "example.com", it will go straight to the login for the server. Thank you in advance.

A record in dns server would be my suggestion. It is a little unclear of what exactly you are trying to accomplish but adding in a A record would do what you want.

Don't forget to create a new forward lookup zone for that other domain.

Yeah bit confused as well to what you want to do exactly.

So you want to be on the public internet and put in something.com and end up on some website, remote desktop? What login for the server? There is no web based login to servers out of the box. So I take it you mean remote desktop??

Or are you talking about users on your network, what domain do you want to use - something you make up that is not used on the public internet? I would not suggest you setup your public domains to use your AD dns? But sure you can create what ever records you want for any domain you want in when you have a DNS server like you do in AD.

Please go over what your wanting to happen exactly - can you show screenshot of this login page your wanting to hit?

Okay, I want this server to do group policy, backups, remote desktop, I want to be able to access the server remotely when I hit my domain in the public internet. Or is that ill advised? 

Ok I have absolutely no clue what it is that you want to do.

Everything you want to do is fine but you don't seem to be asking the right questions or giving the right responses.

This is an analogy

You asked us how do you get to 4, we said we aren't sure what you want but told you 2+2 =4 and 8 / 2=4... you respond with you want 28 19 and 42 is completely confusing to us which had absolutely nothing to do with the original question.

What is it exactly that you are trying to do? We will guide you in the right direction.

teamviewer would be the easiest solution (this is how I do it for home and friends).  Meraki system manager would be another easy option (this is how I do it for some accounts I take care of on the side). 

Something a little harder would be to setup a vpn connection and connect to the server via rdp, but also a viable solution (this is how I do it at work). 

I don't want to use teamviewer, can you tell me how to setup the VPN connection on Windows Server 2012 R2?

Hire a professional? I know everyone has to start somewhere, but 1: There are plenty of resources on how to do it via google, and 2: Sounds like you just want to get someone to do your work for you?

Hire a professional? I know everyone has to start somewhere, but 1: There are plenty of resources on how to do it via google, and 2: Sounds like you just want to get someone to do your work for you?

Actually I wasn't looking for anyone to do anything for me, I was just looking for information on how one would go about doing it. But thanks for your "help" on a support forum. 

Actually I wasn't looking for anyone to do anything for me, I was just looking for information on how one would go about doing it. But thanks for your "help" on a support forum. 

First Google result - http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2014/01/how-to-install-vpn-on-windows-server-2012-r2/

Yes your right this is a support forum, typically we support things not give instructional step by step on basic stuff. Typically when people come to the forums they have at least tried to set something up on their own and got stuck, ran into an error or failed. Not just "Tell me how to setup computer".

Sorry to be a jerk, but you need to put a little effort into this on your own instead of just relying on the forums to walk you through it and not providing anyone with any clear information on what you are trying to do.

Help us help you.

@Systematic I think it is just a communication/language barrier problem. We are having a hard time understanding what it is you are asking for.

Are you asking how to setup a domain so that you can access/admin your server from outside of your network? Say on the road or in another state?

I think he wants to remote into his server. So he has 2 basic choices, just open up 3389 on the router and enable RDP on the server (not advised) or setup a VPN on Server 2012 R2, open up VPN ports. Then connect to VPN and use RDP to connect to LAN ip of server.

There are are multiple pieces to this puzzle.. First off if you want something.domain.tld to get to your public IP.

Do you own a domain? Who is your registrar, some of them support dynamic dns. Or do you want to just use a free one - there are lots of those. Does your router support dynamic dns, or your going to have to run software.. Do you have static IP?

I would HIGHLY suggest you NOT just open up 3389 to the public internet.. For starters your asking to get hit, 2nd most places don't even allow 3389 outbound anyway.

Setting up a VPN as mentioned can be done on many routers, this would be more secure way to do it. It is bit more complicated - depending what you run, again not going to be allowed outbound. And you still have to worry about name resolution or knowing your IP address, etc..

Why are you against using the simplest solution that solves all the pieces. You will be able to access your machine from anywhere pretty sure.. Since TV uses standard outbound http/https - can even bounce off a proxy. You don't have to worry about name resolution, and don't have to open up anything inbound on your router. And its FREE for non commercial use.

More than happy to walk you step by step by step if need be.. But why are you against using the best solution?? If you have something against TV, there are other options of the same type - but TV really just is the hands down winner.

I normally VPN into my network.. But then again this is what I do for a living - and to me setting up a vpn is childs play... But guess what I have TV as my backup method to get in, just in case the vpn connection takes a dump - which happens every now and then. I can TV in and fix it from that side ;)

• Like 1

The OP is clearly trying to access the 2012 R2 Essentials remote access page.

Assuming you already own your domain you will need to log in to the Essentials dashboard and then go to Settings.  Once in there you need to click on Anywhere Access to add the details of your domain, setup the VPN, etc.

If you need more advanced help I would suggest visiting http://homeservershow.com/forums/.%C2'> You should be able to find detailed instructions about how to manage your server and ask for help if necessary.

• Like 1

No worries Systematic.  Glad I could help.

It's a shame that the link to the HomeServerShow forum was removed from my post.  I understand that there are rules about promoting other forums but I don't think that including a link to a site to help someone is the same thing at all.  Especially when nobody here at Neowin was able to answer the question properly. 

If that is what you want you may want to pop some pop corn, grab a notepad and watch the video walk through I posted in post number 11. And if you have more specific questions to ask them clearly.. can't answer questions when we don't understand the questions asked or when the question has nothing to do with the answer need.

You initially asked about how to add a domain, that has nothing to do with enabling remote access or even the technology you want to use to enable remote access.

If that is what you want you may want to pop some pop corn, grab a notepad and watch the video walk through I posted in post number 11. And if you have more specific questions to ask them clearly.. can't answer questions when we don't understand the questions asked or when the question has nothing to do with the answer need.

You initially asked about how to add a domain, that has nothing to do with enabling remote access or even the technology you want to use to enable remote access.

I apologize for that, I was in the wrong and am truly sorry, please accept my apology, also thanks to xendrome for your help.