Antivirus for windows 10

Its pretty funny.  For so long people who would consider themselves to be "computer guys": even some working in IT would run MSE on their computer.  Even referring it to others "its worked for me...its great"  never taken into consideration it has more to do with their viewing habits or the fact they only think they are clean.  Not until Microsoft comes out and basically says, "dont use MSE as your only A/V - it sucks... consider it a baseline to compare to everyone else..." do people stop regurgitating what they hear.  Yet people who didnt know about that, still recommend MSE.  

Any review online is filled with people who have no business giving reviews

My favorite [sarcasm] are when people give their opinion on hardware.  Something like, "I own one, its great...no problems"  WOW - that is really definitive - you own an (Acer, HP, Compaq, Toshiba [insert any other crap manufacturer]) and think just because it didnt blow up when you go to MySpace everyday - its must be worth buying :rolleyes:

Sorry for getting carried away, but I see this all the time, and the stupidity only breeds stupidity - then when said stupidity, with their preconceived notions, comes to someone who knows what they are talking about , they question the correct information.

END OF RANT

yep MSSE is pretty crap these days, shame it started off so well until MS took it over, now its as bad as AVG for detections. IIRC its miss rate of detecting malware is somewhere around 17% miss, that in itself is enough to avoid using MSSE period. Avast is a bit better, but again ive had personal bad exp with Avast not detecting malware, moved to Avira and haven't looked back. Avira can compete with the paid products like Kapersky but is free.

If I could i would still run SEP (sophos endpoint) but sadly we now run and support SEP/M (symantec endpoint) im one of the global admins. (45k seats)

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-antivirus-9-reviewed-and-rated-1057786

Edited by Mando

I'm using the built-in AV software and it seems to give me allot more performance. All that other Antivirus software is just a bunch of bloatware. My router also has built-in AV as well. Plus I use OpenDNS. Windows defender + Router AV + OpenDNS = better than any of those other antivirus solutions. :-)

Its pretty funny.  For so long people who would consider themselves to be "computer guys": even some working in IT would run MSE on their computer.  Even referring it to others "its worked for me...its great"  never taken into consideration it has more to do with their viewing habits or the fact they only think they are clean.  Not until Microsoft comes out and basically says, "dont use MSE as your only A/V - it sucks... consider it a baseline to compare to everyone else..." do people stop regurgitating what they hear.  Yet people who didnt know about that, still recommend MSE.  

Any review online is filled with people who have no business giving reviews

My favorite [sarcasm] are when people give their opinion on hardware.  Something like, "I own one, its great...no problems"  WOW - that is really definitive - you own an (Acer, HP, Compaq, Toshiba [insert any other crap manufacturer]) and think just because it didnt blow up when you go to MySpace everyday - its must be worth buying :rolleyes:

Sorry for getting carried away, but I see this all the time, and the stupidity only breeds stupidity - then when said stupidity, with their preconceived notions, comes to someone who knows what they are talking about , they question the correct information.

END OF RANT

Keep in mind that this is for Windows 10. There is no AV in Windows 10  (or Windows 8.x) called Microsoft Security Essentials. It's Windows Defender. Windows Defender is a collections of AV software and works best when using Edge or IE. For Chrome and FF, I would use AV plugins. On top of all this, use a router with built-in AV and use a DNS filter that blocks malware websites. So, stop complicating things and get the best out of your PC without compromising performance with allot of AV bloated alternatives. As for corporate IT, I do admit that it's best to invest in other forms of security that can keep each PC safe as-well-as the whole network safe.

I'm using SecureAplus. white-listing + cloud AV. In this day in age of Zero day vulnerabilities AV is not enough. I think you need adblockers, flash blockers and either all web browsing needs sandboxing or you need to prevent EVERYTHING untrusted from automatically running.

Is this seriously how you use your computer daily? Is this a common thing for modern Windows users?

I stuck Mint on a 4 year old ThinkPad I had laying around for my parents with just Firefox with uBlock installed and they have never had an issue.

No need for antivirus, manual white listing, all different kinds of blockers (ublock does it all well enough) and sandboxing of the browser.

Is this seriously how you use your computer daily? Is this a common thing for modern Windows users?

I stuck Mint on a 4 year old ThinkPad I had laying around for my parents with just Firefox with uBlock installed and they have never had an issue.

No need for antivirus, manual white listing, all different kinds of blockers (ublock does it all well enough) and sandboxing of the browser.

No, Modern Windows users (not including sophisticated users), don't block ads, they allow flash by default, usually have an out of date version of Java on their system, they click yes to everything, they don't install updates and they think their Norton AV is the end all.

No, Modern Windows users (not including sophisticated users), don't block ads, they allow flash by default, usually have an out of date version of Java on their system, they click yes to everything, they don't install updates and they think their Norton AV is the end all.

Yeah I understand most people don't use sandboxing, etc. I meant is that what you use as your daily machine? Don't you think it is a little over the top?

Kasperskys latest version works fine for me on both 8 & 10 plus the Bank Im with are offering the Kaspersky Total security package for 5 PCs @£9/1 year plus they already give a 3 PC basic version for free

Yeah I understand most people don't use sandboxing, etc. I meant is that what you use as your daily machine? Don't you think it is a little over the top?

It is over the top but some choose to be overly paranoid, me I'm good with an up to date AV and spyware tools, about the only other thing I do is run an ad blocker and whitelist a few sites 

Kasperskys latest version works fine for me on both 8 & 10 and the Bank Im with are offering the Kaspersky Total security package for 5 PCs @£9/1 year plus they already give a 3 PC basic version for free

Just checked my bank (Barclays UK) and they also offer all customers free Kaspersky Internet Security 2015. Nice!

It is over the top but some choose to be overly paranoid, me I'm good with an up to date AV and spyware tools, about the only other thing I do is run an ad blocker and whitelist a few sites 

I find it qute funny when people jump through so many hoops to protect their privacy then use Google or Microsoft for their email, search, Skype, etc. where the terms and conditions for these services strip away all kinds of privacy in order to give you targetted advertising and god knows what else in the future from the profiles they can build of you.

Not saying warwagon is like that obviously, just in general. warwagon seems like a cool guy and I like his posts.

I use antivir on all our W10 boxes at home. Sophos is a very good endpoint, just a shame they don't do a retail/SOHO offering.

Good luck finding a Sophos account to utilise for EM and updating, they are tied to specific Sophos account holders, as a Sophos ex admin i used to use our corp one at home (legacy benefit of SEP)

I've got a license I can use, just haven't gotten around to setting it up yet.

I'm using the built-in AV software and it seems to give me allot more performance. All that other Antivirus software is just a bunch of bloatware. My router also has built-in AV as well. Plus I use OpenDNS. Windows defender + Router AV + OpenDNS = better than any of those other antivirus solutions. :-)

Try webroot AV - smallest footprint there is - tiny....really tiny - and great protection.  Trust me.

With webroot on my computers - thats all I need - havent installed mbam in almost 2 years.
The only time I take extra precautions is when someone wants to see the Deep Web, - then of course - AV means nothing - through TOR and all of the steps one has to take just to get there - you still have to be careful.

But other than that rare occurance - webroot SA AV is enough for me.

There are already lots of replied about 360 Total Security. I've installed it on several dozen computers. It works well. Oddly, on my personal laptop it one day began seeing all .xls files as trojans. I have since installed Panda Free. Panda is the top performer on AV-Comparitives.org June report. Go to their website. You can sort by value, which actually sorts by performance. 360 TS used to be rated near the top until it was learned that they submitted product with Bitdefender engine preinstalled. On the basic 360 TS you need to install it yourself. Neowin has links to the "enhanced" version of 360 TS Essential, which is very light and effective. I still only surf using Sandboxie's sandboxed web browser. For WIndows 10 you can download Sandboxie 5.01.6. It works quite well with Chrome, IE, and Firefox. 

Guys, I thought that 360 Total Security was uncovered as crap a long time ago - it was just another engine with different window dressing or something...  maybe Im wrong.

Yes, ESET has always been a top performer.

With webroot on my computers - thats all I need - havent installed mbam in almost 2 years.
The only time I take extra precautions is when someone wants to see the Deep Web, - then of course - AV means nothing - through TOR and all of the steps one has to take just to get there - you still have to be careful.

But other than that rare occurance - webroot SA AV is enough for me.

From OpenDNS:

Our Umbrella products use a combination of DNS routing, VPN tunneling and selective proxying to secure any devices behind Internet gateways (e.g. router, WiFi AP) or the devices (e.g. desktops, laptops, tablets, phones) themselves. The backbone is built on OpenDNS's global network, but we've added traffic enforcement technologies beyond only DNS monitoring and filtering in 2012. In 2013, we're excited to continue this trend.

In regards to AV scanning, you're both correct that we do not presently use a signature database to match for known malicious executables. However, our approach of preventing connections to malicious sites is not limited to only those that are known to host threats. We're harnessing the insights from over 50B+ daily requests, plus our knowledge for how all sites are related to one another (learned from our global Anycast-routed network) to predict what other sites are also used for malicious purposes. Whether or not the threats on these additional sites are known yet to the AV community.

Having said this, we do not advise removing existing AV clients as it was pointed out that removable media, email attachments and other vectors can still be used to infect the device. Also, AV is still effective for blocking most known threats. But industry analysts like IDC believe its efficacy has fallen to 30-50% of all threats out there.

What Umbrella does really well for your security program is to not only add defense-in-depth, but also add defense-in-breadth. Since we restore visibility and control for your nomadic workers, and we apply our protection for any application, protocol or port. Web proxy-based solutions offered by Webroot and Panda are limited to HTTP (80), and maybe HTTPS (443). They also don't address mobile devices like iPhones very well, if at all, which use APIs that do not allow AV apps to effectively scan for threats.

From OpenDNS:

Our Umbrella products use a combination of DNS routing, VPN tunneling and selective proxying to secure any devices behind Internet gateways (e.g. router, WiFi AP) or the devices (e.g. desktops, laptops, tablets, phones) themselves. The backbone is built on OpenDNS's global network, but we've added traffic enforcement technologies beyond only DNS monitoring and filtering in 2012. In 2013, we're excited to continue this trend.

In regards to AV scanning, you're both correct that we do not presently use a signature database to match for known malicious executables. However, our approach of preventing connections to malicious sites is not limited to only those that are known to host threats. We're harnessing the insights from over 50B+ daily requests, plus our knowledge for how all sites are related to one another (learned from our global Anycast-routed network) to predict what other sites are also used for malicious purposes. Whether or not the threats on these additional sites are known yet to the AV community.

Having said this, we do not advise removing existing AV clients as it was pointed out that removable media, email attachments and other vectors can still be used to infect the device. Also, AV is still effective for blocking most known threats. But industry analysts like IDC believe its efficacy has fallen to 30-50% of all threats out there.

What Umbrella does really well for your security program is to not only add defense-in-depth, but also add defense-in-breadth. Since we restore visibility and control for your nomadic workers, and we apply our protection for any application, protocol or port. Web proxy-based solutions offered by Webroot and Panda are limited to HTTP (80), and maybe HTTPS (443). They also don't address mobile devices like iPhones very well, if at all, which use APIs that do not allow AV apps to effectively scan for threats.

Great ! I'll be sure not to put webroot on my iPhone.

BTW - what does 1080 look like spread across 32" - must be puke-inducing.

Edited by T3X4S

I just started using Bitdefender Anti-Virus Plus 2015 with the free trial to see how it behaves, so far so good, I like this version, very modern, clean and professional looking interface and it seems to be very stable and light in resources too, previous versions I had tried I never liked they always seem to slow down my system and browser some how.

BTW, I always use an Anti-virus along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home Premium and of course my brain.

Nope, because I understand the term vulnerability and exploits and that AV relies on definition files and heuristics to keep you safe and that no AV detects 100% of everything.

Nope, because I understand the term vulnerability and exploits and that AV relies on definition files and heuristics to keep you safe and that no AV detects 100% of everything.

Fair enough :) I guess with modern systems the impact isn't all that noticable, I remember back in the early to mid 00s just running any kind of security suite would noticeably slow the machine down.

Fair enough :) I guess with modern systems the impact isn't all that noticable, I remember back in the early to mid 00s just running any kind of security suite would noticeably slow the machine down.

ya my main system is an i7-4770R with 16 GB of ram and a 256GB Msata drive :)

I use bitdefender total security 2015. Also it looks like their 2016 version is a couple of weeks away and it already integrates with edge :o

Probably just a proxy so it can catch all web traffic.