Antivirus for windows 10

I've decided to install Windows 10 on the laptop my kids use, partly to check out its performance on older hardware, along with the idea that if anyone can break it, tweens and teens can.

First I'll start with that it runs great on the laptop which is an older Dell d520

Core Duo T2400 1.8GHz

3GB RAM

250 GB HDD

Intel 965G integrated graphics

intel 3945 ABG wireless chipset.

Now all that being said, because its the kids, I prefer to have an AV app installed. I've been using Norton Internet Security (lets not get into a Norton flame war please), but Window 10 does not appear to like that, not a surprise, it is a new and preview OS.

Does the preview come with the same integrated a/v like 8.x does, a version of Windows Defender? Not a great choice, i realize.

Has anyone else found a basic AV suite/app that works with the preview?

I'm using 360 Total Security, seems to be working fine with the preview.

Correct That's what i'm using too. Only thing that doesn't work or won't turn on is the sandbox.

I wouldn't touch Defender with a 20 foot pole.

I also like Avast, but haven't used it on 10 yet, While Avast is good, even with pups turned on it's not very good from the test i've done from detecting poo packs. 360 total security on the other hand is fantastic.

Windows Defender is a great antimalware for Windows, works pretty good in my laptop. I don't need anything else.

I use a tag-team of Defender and Malwarebytes Premium - what gets by one won't get by the other.  Malwarebytes works fine on all versions of the Technical Preview.

Defender and your brain is the only thing you need and you will never have a virus :)

For myself, i'd agree with you, this particular PC however is used by a 7, 12 and 15 year old. :/

• Like 1

Correct That's what i'm using too. Only thing that doesn't work or won't turn on is the sandbox.

I also like Avast, but haven't used it on 10 yet, While Avast is good, even with pups turned on it's not very good from the test i've done from detecting poo packs. 360 total security on the other hand is fantastic.

What are your thoughts on Kaspersky from the prespective of your business?

Antiviruses don't detect a big part of drive-by malware. Install firefox, block any addon but flash (and set flash to autoupdate in control panel), install adblock+ghostery, set clicktoplay to true (it should be already enabled by default), install publicfox and set it to lock EXE/ZIP downloads with password and bam - problem solved.

What are your thoughts on Kaspersky from the prespective of your business?

Haven't used it much but I always think it feels heavy.

Antiviruses don't detect a big part of drive-by malware. Install firefox, block any addon but flash (and set flash to autoupdate in control panel), install adblock+ghostery, set clicktoplay to true (it should be already enabled by default), install publicfox and set it to lock EXE/ZIP downloads with password and bam - problem solved.

I use flashblock to block all flash from automatically loading.

I use flashblock to block all flash from automatically loading.

The clicktoplay setting prevents plugins from running without user consent. It's pretty much equivalent I think.

For myself, i'd agree with you, this particular PC however is used by a 7, 12 and 15 year old. :/

In that case, totally agreed with you that you need a powerful and good antivirus.

Windows Defender is a great antimalware for Windows, works pretty good in my laptop. I don't need anything else.

Agreed with this. Either go free like this, or get ESET and "set and forget". (Y)

When you install Windows 10 you are also installing Microsoft's free antivirus protection named 'Defender'. It's part of the download. You get immdiate protection when you first boot the machine.

Avast won't install on Windows 10 TP

I don't wear tin foil hats. Windows Defender (AKA Microsoft Security Essentials) works well enough for me, working alongside Malwarebytes.

Defender has always performed quite well int eh AV Comparatives from memory. It's always found nasty stuff on my computer.

I really wish people would stop commenting on things they clearly know nothing about... Only a matter of time before someone recommends MSE :rolleyes:

Yes I do!! :D