Antivirus for windows 10

I don't wear tin foil hats. Windows Defender (AKA Microsoft Security Essentials) works well enough for me, working alongside Malwarebytes.

Defender has always performed quite well int eh AV Comparatives from memory. It's always found nasty stuff on my computer.

I don't know what AV Comparatives you're reading, but in 2014 MSE has been, at best, second worst.

Its pretty funny.  For so long people who would consider themselves to be "computer guys": even some working in IT would run MSE on their computer.  Even referring it to others "its worked for me...its great"  never taken into consideration it has more to do with their viewing habits or the fact they only think they are clean.  Not until Microsoft comes out and basically says, "dont use MSE as your only A/V - it sucks... consider it a baseline to compare to everyone else..." do people stop regurgitating what they hear.  Yet people who didnt know about that, still recommend MSE.  

Any review online is filled with people who have no business giving reviews

My favorite [sarcasm] are when people give their opinion on hardware.  Something like, "I own one, its great...no problems"  WOW - that is really definitive - you own an (Acer, HP, Compaq, Toshiba [insert any other crap manufacturer]) and think just because it didnt blow up when you go to MySpace everyday - its must be worth buying :rolleyes:

Sorry for getting carried away, but I see this all the time, and the stupidity only breeds stupidity - then when said stupidity, with their preconceived notions, comes to someone who knows what they are talking about , they question the correct information.

END OF RANT

Avast won't install on Windows 10 TP

I dont know enough about the inner workings of 10, but can you think of a reason why Avast & webroot Secure Anywhere are having such a problem ? (aside from it being a tech preview)  Isnt it just the core engine of 8.1 ?

I went to install 360 Total Security on Win 10 x64 and it gave me an error saying not compatible with your Windows version. Am I supposed to put this is compatibility mode?

I've been using Norton Internet Security (lets not get into a Norton flame war please),

I'm genuinely curious why someone who is aware of all the stigma against Norton, why they would use it.

Haven't used it much but I always think it feels heavy.

I use flashblock to block all flash from automatically loading.

You aren't wrong about it being heavy but it is very good about being a "silent protector" and normally I wouldn't put it on a client's machine unless they have at least 4GB of RAM (though with Windows 7 you really should be running with that amount of RAM to begin with...)

I dont know enough about the inner workings of 10, but can you think of a reason why Avast & webroot Secure Anywhere are having such a problem ? (aside from it being a tech preview)  Isnt it just the core engine of 8.1 ?

I'm not technical enough to know why but even running the set-up file for Avast in Compatibility mode for windows 7 and 8, still results in the compatibility issues popup under Windows 10. 

Right now I got my faith in the one built into Windows 10. 

I'm using ESET nod32, works fine, I tried bitDefender too and that worked fine aswell, 

I just removed 360 Total Security from a customers computer that had a rootkit on it that nothing was finding it. Tried quite a few different antimalware programs and a couple other AV programs. Installed Bitdefender and within a couple minutes it found the rootkit, before I could even initiate a scan, and told me a reboot was necessary to remove it. Rebooted and it was gone!

Bitdefender is my AV of choice now. Glad to hear it works on Windows 10. :)

I ran into something like that as well, but with webroot Secure Anywhere.

After cleaning a system with MBAM, I installed webroot SA, which found a few more things, not PUA or PUP, but real issues.  That really impressed me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using the Windows 10 tech preview as my main operating system (It's just windows 8 with a new wrapper for metro apps at this point so it is VERY stable!) and despite having just purchased a 2 year licence for Kaspersky Internet Security (Via paypal) I have been informed that they will not be supporting it until the operating system officially launches. However since I have not activated the licence as yet (Still have 128 days on my current one) it is not a major problem in terms of wasted money however that still leaves me stuck with out of the box stock antivirus protection which may as well be hanging a large neon sign over the computer saying "INFECT ME!", I will need to use a free option unit Kaspersky gets their rear in gear and starts supporting Windows 10. I'll give the 360 Total Security thing a try (No "Buy Now" button on the website (I hope I got the right one!) so that's a plus!) but I will not be touching AVG with a 50-foot pole after my last experience using their free option.

I'm genuinely curious why someone who is aware of all the stigma against Norton, why they would use it.

I could understand the stigma if NIS was the same as back in the pre-Vista days but since then, primarily due to the inability to use ActiveX on the desktop, NIS has been a lot leaner on system resources and doesn't nag the user as much as it once did.

I recently beta tested their new Norton Security software, the replacement for Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, and it's not bad plus they gave me a 10-user, 1 year license for free as a thank you so I may as well use it.

• 9 months later...

At the moment I'm using Avast, I have a kaspersky license though so I want to install it. Have they officially confirmed compatibility with W10 now?

At the moment I'm using Avast, I have a kaspersky license though so I want to install it. Have they officially confirmed compatibility with W10 now?

Kasperksy 2015 latest versions support windows 10 properly now. Kaspersky 2016 is made with windows 10 in mind.

I'm using SecureAplus. white-listing + cloud AV. In this day in age of Zero day vulnerabilities AV is not enough. I think you need adblockers, flash blockers and either all web browsing needs sandboxing or you need to prevent EVERYTHING untrusted from automatically running.

Edited by warwagon

Kasperksy 2015 latest versions support windows 10 properly now. Kaspersky 2016 is made with windows 10 in mind.

I tried KIS 2016 and it was buggy as hell. Wouldn't start, kept giving me some crap about a memory read error, then it also refused to uninstall properly.

Setup Kaspersky on my desktop, seems to work well. Would like to move to Sophos once I can snag a license somewhere. 

I use antivir on all our W10 boxes at home. Sophos is a very good endpoint, just a shame they don't do a retail/SOHO offering.

Good luck finding a Sophos account to utilise for EM and updating, they are tied to specific Sophos account holders, as a Sophos ex admin i used to use our corp one at home (legacy benefit of SEP)