Why are Forums settings disabled?

Why?

For instance I don't want to see other people's signatures and avatars.

I probably want to change the way dates are presented.

I definitely would like to change the number of comments on a page and the number of shown threads, etc., etc., etc.

The Manual link produces: "Error: Could not load template 'forumPrefsForm' from group 'ucp'"

Why?

I definitely would like to change the number of comments on a page and the number of shown threads, etc., etc., etc.

The Manual link produces: "Error: Could not load template 'forumPrefsForm' from group 'ucp'"

My guess would be because Neowin heavily customises IPB3.x. It's just easier to disable certain things than have them clogging up your system.

@ians18,

Never been registered at other forums, haven't you? ;-)

Why?

• Avatars cannot be disabled globally and isn't an option in IPB anyway.
  • Signatures can be disabled by member (also isn't a global option, but is for guests) use the x top right of a member signature to disable it if you must.
  • Forum prefs doesn't even exist as a template both in our custom theme or the IPB default, so don't know where you got this from, I'm sure it was removed because you can manually "load more topics" at the bottom of any forum index since version 3.4.

Seems the other forums you were registered at may have used an older version of IPB.

• Avatars cannot be disabled globally and isn't an option in IPB anyway.
  • Signatures can be disabled by member (also isn't a global option, but is for guests) use the x top right of a member signature to disable it if you must.
  • Forum prefs doesn't even exist as a template both in our custom theme or the IPB default, so don't know where you got this from, I'm sure it was removed because you can manually "load more topics" at the bottom of any forum index since version 3.4.

Seems the other forums you were registered at may have used an older version of IPB.

Actually you can disable all signatures by ticking the "Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages" box in your "Ignore Preferences".

Actually you can disable all signatures by ticking the "Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages" box in your "Ignore Preferences".

Didn't know this, thanks! (y)

Yeah, right, newer IPB is seriously lacking which is kinda strange.

I guess you'll want to look at XenForo sometime in the future.

• 1 month later...

We're not looking at other forum software. Ours is heavily customized already, and how is it lacking if you can load more topics with one click?

What about changing the number of posts per page in a thread?  I also can't change my editor.  I'd rather use the Standard Editor instead of the WYSIWYG editor.

Any way to change those?