New PC - Opinions before I buy!?!

Whats wrong  with it?

Lauren says it's OK... :)

Sorry, I was looking @ original build where he listed some no name bronze rated thing

If Lauren says its OK, Im sure it is :D

Personally, I wouldnt choose XFX when there are so many repsected brands out there

• Like 2

Replace your SSD with an M.2 SSD (the board you want supports it and they are faster) a good choice would be Plextor M.2 m6e. I have a 256GB version an it is blazing fast - faster than my Samsung Evo 256GB that I have in the same rig. Second, as was mentioned, go water cooler it's well worth it and super quite. Finally max the RAM, the board supports 32GB then put 32 in, you won't regrete it especially if you do a lot of gaming, RAM is cheap so fill it up.

http://www.amazon.com/Plextor-Series-256GB-Internal-PX-G256M6e/dp/B00KIMIETO

Replace your SSD with an M.2 SSD (the board you want supports it and they are faster) a good choice would be Plextor M.2 m6e. I have a 256GB version an it is blazing fast - faster than my Samsung Evo 256GB that I have in the same rig. Second, as was mentioned, go water cooler it's well worth it and super quite. Finally max the RAM, the board supports 32GB then put 32 in, you won't regrete it especially if you do a lot of gaming, RAM is cheap so fill it up.

http://www.amazon.com/Plextor-Series-256GB-Internal-PX-G256M6e/dp/B00KIMIETO

LOL - dont listen to people like this.... listen to what everyone else says.

32GB for gaming ???  You do realize 99% of games dont use more than about 3.5 GB ....

32GB for gaming LOL - You must work @ BB

Its this reason that for people who dont use VMs or massive Photoshop/video editing dont need more than 8... its pointless.

To those people having 32GB IS NOT FASTER THAN HAVING 8GB

LOL - dont listen to people like this.... listen to what everyone else says.

32GB for gaming ???  You do realize 99% of games dont use more than about 3.5 GB ....

32GB for gaming LOL - You must work @ BB

Its this reason that for people who dont use VMs or massive Photoshop/video editing dont need more than 8... its pointless.

To those people having 32GB IS NOT FASTER THAN HAVING 8GB

sure you have read that the OP is using the rig for VM labs as well, didn't you?  :rofl:

Finally max the RAM, the board supports 32GB then put 32 in, you won't regrete it especially if you do a lot of gaming, RAM is cheap so fill it up.

32GB for gamming? unless OP is playing several games at the same time and multitasking between them... :laugh:  :laugh:

but 32GB would be sweet for VMs, no doubt.

sure you have read that the OP is using the rig for VM labs as well, didn't you?  :rofl:

I was just referring to this guy's post by itself.  To say 32GB is great for gaming.... he must be working for someone who makes money off RAM.  

RAM is cheap, but going from 32GB for gaming is wasting money that could be spent on something necessary.

I think I have 8GB dedicated to my Windows 10 VM, which is nice.

If I had a system with more than 24 (what I have now) I would do a RAMdisk

TBH I am kinda out of the loop in terms of pc hardware.  I just found out 2 days ago there was an x99 chipset.  :blush:

I was just referring to this guy's post by itself.  To say 32GB is great for gaming.... he must be working for someone who makes money off RAM.  

RAM is cheap, but going from 32GB for gaming is wasting money that could be spent on something necessary.

yeah that amount of RAM for gaming is just crazy, at least for today's standards.

Another vote here for M.2 SSD

I was doing a.... conversion of sorts today, and it took me 1min 35secs to process around 8GB on my new rig. And that's with the M.2 drive on pcie x2, still waiting for my x4 adaptor from asus.

Did the exact same process on my old box, ocz vertex 3 ssd (was max'd out at 100% usage the whole time, so it would seem that this was the bottleneck), C2D 6600 @2.4GHz, took 9mins 33secs :rofl:

I don't see the point with M.2 SSD it takes away two SATA ports when you can have two SSD in RAID 0 and its faster along with it being harder to access a M.2 SSD on another board with that slot.

Maybe if M.2 SSD were as fast as two SSD in RAID 0 I might see the point and even then one SSD at 6Gb is fast enough.

I don't see the point with M.2 SSD it takes away two SATA ports when you can have two SSD in RAID 0 and its faster along with it being harder to access a M.2 SSD on another board with that slot.

Maybe if M.2 SSD were as fast as two SSD in RAID 0 I might see the point and even then one SSD at 6Gb is fast enough.

SATA ports are not disabled if you connect it to a PCIe x4 slot, though the dedicated M.2 slot is then disconnected.

You could also have M.2 drives in RAID 0 on the PCIe x4 adapter card, which would annihilate any regular SSD

The Samsung XP941 is the only SSD on the market that is capable of PCIe x4 performance over 1GB/s at present.

This is my CrystalDiskMark score, for a 256GB Samsung XP941 running at PCIe x2, so I'm hoping to see a marked improvement when my x4 card arrives. I'm not 100% confident, but we shall see.

post-18738-0-41648300-1413289960.png

As with all new tech, there is a premium to be paid, but this is definitely the future.

SATA ports are not disabled if you connect it to a PCIe x4 slot, though the dedicated M.2 slot is then disconnected.

Depends on the board my one lists M.2 or SATA Express or 2 SATA 6Gb/s

Thats for the X99 but the OP is getting a Z97 so may not be a bad idea after all.

just looked at the Motherboard Block Diagram for the GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 its M.2 or SATA Express or 2 SATA 6Gb/s

Depends on the board my one lists M.2 or SATA Express or 2 SATA 6Gb/s

Thats for the X99 but the OP is getting a Z97 so may not be a bad idea after all.

just looked at the Motherboard Block Diagram for the GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 its M.2 or SATA Express or 2 SATA 6Gb/s

Asus finally sent me the snazzily named "ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 ? PCI-Express Gen2/3 to M.2 x4 SSD Adapter Card"

post-18738-0-79640000-1413977992.jpg

Not the best overall results I've seen for this drive, think I've got some tweaking to do...

post-18738-0-32826500-1413978009.png