Disallow animated avatars and signatures

Apologies Frank, seems I clearly did not read this topic post correctly.

Thanks Brando212 for keeping me on track!

I do believe this has been discussed before and it has been decided that it would be allowed.

Personally i feel the same way, I do not think we should allow animated Avatars or signatures (especially that one that is a bug running around)

Meph, you know better than to try get animated avatars banned. :/

I know I'm at a point where they annoy the hell out of me. I don't want to go ahead and disable avatars globally though, nor do I want to have to use an adblocker to take care of them.

It's not gonna happen..

If it did, users will leave Neowin for alternative website..

Neowin may not be able to run the site much longer.

If Neowin add animated images on/off switch in the user panel, that is fine...

Of course, this question has been asked before.

If animated is banned, then Neowin site is becoming 'kids' only website...

Take a look at Imgur and they allow swear words and all in the public view...    all you do is filter it in the privacy panel or in the router yourself... not Neowin.

It's not gonna happen..

If it did, users will leave Neowin for alternative website..

Neowin may not be able to run the site much longer.

If Neowin add animated images on/off switch in the user panel, that is fine...

Of course, this question has been asked before.

If animated is banned, then Neowin site is becoming 'kids' only website...

Take a look at Imgur and they allow swear words and all in the public view...    all you do is filter it in the privacy panel or in the router yourself... not Neowin.

'

people would leave because they can't have animated avatars ? I doubt it. there's not that many of them anyway, but they're annoying and remind me of those childish boards where there's like 1% text and 99% giant banners, avatars and signatures, mostly animated. 

'

people would leave because they can't have animated avatars ? I doubt it. there's not that many of them anyway, but they're annoying and remind me of those childish boards where there's like 1% text and 99% giant banners, avatars and signatures, mostly animated. 

you would be surprised the stupid reasons people leave the site for.

• Like 1

Depends on how obnoxiously animated they are.

e.g. Open Minded's stickman avatar doesn't bother me.

But something badly animated/poor quality/looks like it's hosted on imgftw then I'd want to be able to report that. It makes the site look childish and unprofessional. (only the news is supposed to be unprofessional)

I know I'm at a point where they annoy the hell out of me. I don't want to go ahead and disable avatars globally though, nor do I want to have to use an adblocker to take care of them.

You can disable them through the User CP if they bother you that much:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=ignoredusers

Honestly, the animated ones don't bother me at all. In fact, it's nice that Neowin allows us to use animated avatars as it allows us to use and see more interesting avatars. :)

• Like 1

I come to this site for its content, not to look at avatars. I personally have no problem with them, it sets people apart and helps put names to faces (avatars).

If Neowin wants to implement a feature to turn off avatars or animations, I have no problem. The more options the better I guess.

hWaCFIb.gif

I come to this site for its content, not to look at avatars. I personally have no problem with them, it sets people apart and helps put names to faces (avatars).

If Neowin wants to implement a feature to turn off avatars or animations, I have no problem. The more options the better I guess.

<snip>

unless we are talking about Andrew R. who changes his every bloody week!

We will follow the current guidelines on the use of signatures and avatars. If there is a avatar that is clearly flamebait or placed to create discord, inappropriate or overly distracting, we will deal with that. Simply PM a moderator.

if you don't like an avatar or banner simply adblock it.... :)

if you don't like an avatar or banner simply adblock it.... :)

ad blockers, how to make your browser used 4+ times as much memory in the effort in the belief you're trying to save resources. 

ad blockers, how to make your browser used 4+ times as much memory in the effort in the belief you're trying to save resources.

I believe most browsers also allow users to apply custom stylesheets to all pages, so extensions are not necessary. The following snippet works in IE11 on Windows 8, where ##### is the number of the member's avatar image. Mine would be 17075, I think. I suppose it would not be impossible to tweak it so that you block all avatars that are GIFs, but it can't, I think, discriminate between animated or not.
img[src*="av-#####"] {
 visibility: hidden !important;
}
  • Like 1

I believe most browsers also allow users to apply custom stylesheets to all pages, so extensions are not necessary. The following snippet works in IE11 on Windows 8, where ##### is the number of the member's avatar image. Mine would be 17075, I think. I suppose it would not be impossible to tweak it so that you block all avatars that are GIFs, but it can't, I think, discriminate between animated or not.

img[src*="av-#####"] {
 visibility: hidden !important;
}

couldn't you modify it to block any avatars with a .gif extension?

I don't dislike most of them, so they are fine with me.

The use of different fonts used to bug me far more than it should, but it's something I've had to get used to.

• Like 1

I use ad-block for avatars that are annoying. I've had Hum's avatar blocked since before I registered an account. I don't activate the general adblock for Neowin but I do specify the avatars that become an annoyance. We can't disallow something for thousands of users just because we aren't happy with the quality.

We are in an age of technology where we can customize and modify anything to our personal standards. This is a prime example of where such technological capabilities could be utilized. We just need to be thaumaturgic with our resources sometimes.

• Like 2

I dont see what the problem is. 
My avatar is keeping your dirty monitors clean. You all should be grateful!

Seriously though, there are plenty of browser extensions available already for both Chrome and Firefox that blocks unwanted images. For those of you that use adblock, that is one example. 
If any annoy you just add it to your blacklist. 

• Like 1

I dont see what the problem is. 

My avatar is keeping your dirty monitors clean. You all should be grateful!

It needs to be bigger then because right now it's not cleaning much of the screen. :p

• Like 2