New aquarium setup (freshwater)

New hobby time so I picked up a 75 gallon aquaruim for 75$ was a salt tank with an overflow and is drilled took 2days to rip all the urathane out and get the crusty overflow out and get it clean.

picked up a somwhat underpowered filter for it as well that was on sale with media for way to good of a price only problem is how it looks

currently cycling it

anyone else got one with any intresting fish?

IMG_0086.jpg

Picked up a few fish since I couldent find pure ammonia locally after letting the PH normalize

5 pearl danio

5 head and tail light tetra 

Picked up a couple hardy plands and some crushed granite as substate for now

still starting the nitrogen cycle

1.0 ppm ammonia

0 nitrite

0 nitrate

IMG_0087.jpg

I would love a saltwater tank with some coral. That would be awesome, but that is some work to get it setup.

I have a 20 gallon freshwater and a 10 gallon freshwater.The 20 gallon has about 15 different types of shrimp, 5 nerite snails, neon tetras, octo catfish, and a guppy. There are about 300+ shrimp now. Started off with about 12 ghost shrimp, couple orange mandarin, an a few red cherry. Added some Blue Rili shrimp a few months back. Very cool setup! :D

The 10 has 3 African dwarf frogs. They have such terrible vision and try to bite each other when they smell food! lol

• Like 2

I would love a saltwater tank with some coral. That would be awesome, but that is some work to get it setup.

I have a 20 gallon freshwater and a 10 gallon freshwater.The 20 gallon has about 15 different types of shrimp, 5 nerite snails, neon tetras, octo catfish, and a guppy. There are about 300+ shrimp now. Started off with about 12 ghost shrimp, couple orange mandarin, an a few red cherry. Added some Blue Rili shrimp a few months back. Very cool setup! :D

The 10 has 3 African dwarf frogs. They have such terrible vision and try to bite each other when they smell food! lol

What? you put Guppy in the tank? 

You plan to kill him?  :huh:

:p

:rofl:

• Like 2

ya I thought about a salt tank for exactly 2 seconds very much a novice fish keeper and dont want to blow alot of money fish

my plan for this tank once i can afford a decent light and better / second filter is make it a community tank probly gonna be overstocked and I intend for lots of plants not sure on fish but I will likly get somthing easy to breed since I had some corys that bred constently when i was about 8

should link a pic of that tank with some shrimp in it  I always love seeing what others are up to and how there set up is :D

thats really cool I love planted tanks and that is alot of shrimp in there its gotta be fun to keep that many fed lol

the guppys look nice I wonder what there frys will look like lol

How are your plants planted? are they in pots or just planted directly into the gravel?

I intend to get lots and lots more plants once i get some decent lighting set up for this tank.

my pearl danio's are spawning  I doubt any fry will survive though

I just kinda stumbled into it like every hobby I pick up

Update

4ppm ammonia

0 nitrite

5ppm nitrate

got a seeded filter crammed in behind my filter and some gravel

Picked up a sponge filter and 5 more jungle val for the tank the fish seem real happy with the addition

IMG_0089.jpg

More fish stuff :D

Found a pretty big chunk of wood In Skeeter hell

been soaking it to leach all the tannis out of it

Just pressurewashed it

IMG_0114.jpg

Also got a 4ish inch senegal bichir from somone who had it in a 10gallon tank full of tadpoles that he was munching

IMG_0112.jpg

Also have 50 ghost shrimp coming from the local petshop when there order arrives hopfully I can get them before they put them in the tank they have

The tank is finally starting to cycle

ammonia 1.0ppm and dropping

Nitrite 5-10ppm

Nitrate is 10ppm

been doing weeky 20% water changes

Have lost no fish yet but some are getting a bit close to the bichir

seeing how everyone else has guppys I had to get some went probly the wrong way of doing it but w/e

Picked up 30 feeder guppys 10/2$ and have about 12 healthyish ones I keep them in there own tank and have used some general cure on them to try and weed out any diseases/sickeness but there life wont be in the 75. After a few more weeks of large water changes they should be fairly healthy and then I will add substrate and some plants in

I had some guy on craigslist traded me 4 peacock chilid fry for that peice of wood pictured above not to bad concidering I did just find it in the woods.       

I got rid of the crushed granite and replaced it with coal slag for sandblasting the granite was hard to vacuum  and not great substrate this stuff was 5$ for 50lbs so still fairly cheap

Picked up 50 ghost shrimp for the bichir to eat and he ate at least a dozen or so the first day. Added some clay pot holders where most hide during the day

Got a few malasian trumpet snails to keep my sand moving if they ever get out of hand I'll deal with it then lol

Really enjoying the fish hobby now just waiting on a real light fixture to show up now and I wont have to use a desk lamp to keep them visible

IMG_0120.jpg

hard to see but there is a chilid fry in the picture

IMG_0121.jpg

Snails + shrimp hider 1/2 of them

IMG_0122.jpg

Guppy tank free filter+ old tank I scrubbed out

IMG_0123.jpg

I have a huge tank in the house, its a bit dirty just now though due to a filter packing in, i will post some pics later

Guppies are live bearers and will eat their own young :)

Guppies will be fine with their young as long as you feed them enough and have proper cover for the fry. I have a "forest" of java moss floating in one side of our breeding tank, and the fry stay hidden in there until they're big enough or until we find them and transfer to the rearing tank.

Ghost shrimp are incredibly easy to breed, and you can fill a 20g Long with hundreds of them in about 2 months. I'd recommend starting a colony now, so you have plenty of feeders for your bichir without shelling loads of money.

Guppies will be fine with their young as long as you feed them enough and have proper cover for the fry. I have a "forest" of java moss floating in one side of our breeding tank, and the fry stay hidden in there until they're big enough or until we find them and transfer to the rearing tank.

Ghost shrimp are incredibly easy to breed, and you can fill a 20g Long with hundreds of them in about 2 months. I'd recommend starting a colony now, so you have plenty of feeders for your bichir without shelling loads of money.

You know for some reason I hadnt even concidered doing that. I will definitly add some once I get the sand clean for the guppy tank tomorrow.

The surviving guppys are doing pretty good 14/30 fish isnt to bad considering the state the state they were in

I also do 50% water changes daily for there tank since its only a 10gallon

I also do 50% water changes daily for there tank since its only a 10gallon

Yup, water changes are important. We try to do a 75% change in all 3 tanks 1-2 times a week. We don't have much time, so sometimes its difficult to do more frequent changes.

My Corydoras tend to spawn after every water change, so we can usually control their breeding that way. Shrimp are also great for fry tanks because they'll keep it clean and you won't have to vacuum it as often.

Yup, water changes are important. We try to do a 75% change in all 3 tanks 1-2 times a week. We don't have much time, so sometimes its difficult to do more frequent changes.

My Corydoras tend to spawn after every water change, so we can usually control their breeding that way. Shrimp are also great for fry tanks because they'll keep it clean and you won't have to vacuum it as often.

Havnt lost a fish yet I wish the thing would just hurry up and cycle already though so I can cut back on the water changes

new glass lid and light showed up today

I didnt know how bright 4 t5's were and they were way way to bright i may have to much light over this tank even with 2 of them off

pic is with all 4 t5's on

IMG_0129.jpg

Guppy tank somhow got to 86 degrees over the night no losses of them or shrimp the heater on there tank is actually a spare for the 75gallon so its 300watts

all thats really left is some better food I have coming in the mail and waiting for it to finish cycling

a 75% water change 1 - 2 times a week is far too much

it should be 10% ish once a week

This is a completely subjective opinion though. I know many of our suppliers that run 25-50% changes daily to induce spawning and health. With the amount of fish we have in one tank, a 3gal change won't be enough to kickstart breeding or really keep the water fresh (without introducing medicines/extras of course).

Still cycling :/ taking forever to get past the nitrite stage

Also picked up a 22gallon fish tank for 10$ at a yard sale came loaded with salt tank stuff ima have to get rid of

now the guppys are moved in with as many ghost shrimp as I could catch out of the 75IMG_0136.jpg

Used to have as planted 75gal breeder/wide tank a long time ago

Can't afford a tank at the moment and don't think I can get away with a small one with the cats 

Yeah I learned that the hard way.  We lost some fish in the early days.  Honestly I think the quality of the filter and bio media is the biggest factor.

woo finally done cycling the 75gallon 0ammonia 0Nitrite 10ppm~20ppm nitrate

Still doing daily 75% water changes on the 20 gallon tank 2ppm nitrite builds up daily

Got rid of the head and tail light tetra  and every fish in there is much happier and relaxed with them gone

free on craigslist and had somone pick them up a couple hours later

Im probly gonna end up buying another sengal bichir the one I have is about 6 inches long now and looks very happy and well fed