Tesla Model S P85D (AWD, 691 hp)

And they have a large hybrid battery pack coming out once GigaFactory* is built; metal-air + lithium ion. Already patented.

* massive joint venture with Panasonic outside of Reno, Nevada,

gigafactory_aerial.jpg

• Like 3

http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mobile/cars/alternative-fuel/electric/the-tech-of-the-tesla-d-explained-17299256

The Tech of the Tesla D Explained

The only visible difference between the existing Tesla lineup and the cars that Tesla CEO Elon Musk showed off last night is a small badge with the letter "D."

Underneath those familiar bodies, though, are feats of engineering that'll leave you wondering what the hell this company will do next.

In Hawthorne, Calif.?next door to the HQ of SpaceX, Musk's other enterprise?Telsa unveiled updates to the Model S, one of the most highly-revered automobiles in recent history, electric or otherwise. The "D" in this new D line of Model S's stands for "dual," referring to the second motor set between the Model S's two front wheels. That second motor makes it all-wheel drive, and?in the case of the top-end performance flagship P85D?insanely fast.

The P85D makes 691 hp, giving it a 0-to-60 time of 3.2 seconds?a full second faster than the current P85. If you're old enough to remember when the mid-1990s McLaren F1 was the pinnacle of supercar excess, then you'll appreciate the fact that the P85D is a fully electric car with the same acceleration prowess. The Tesla is limited to a 150 mph top speed, though that is up from the P85's 130 mph.

That second motor adds 291 pounds to the original rear-wheel drive P85's curb weight. Yet the P85D has better range than its predecessor?about 275 miles per charge, 10 more than the regular P85. How? The software brain commanding the drive system redirects power to each wheel for peak operational efficiency. The extra motor also means another vessel for regenerative braking, one that can take in energy from the front wheels. All three models in the Tesla Model S lineup?the 60kW, 85kW, and the aforementioned P85kW?will also be available in D variants, which will benefit all Tesla buyers who need to drive in real weather.

>

Tesla-D-de.jpg

It takes vision to change the world and Elon Musk has that. I have the greatest respect for him. The Model S is a no-compromise electric car which although expensive is doing a lot to change public perception. Just wait until the Model III comes out, it'll sell like hotcakes. It won't be long before gasoline cars appear dated and obsolete.

I drove the normal P85 version, and I thought it was decently quick at the time. I had a CLS 63 at the time, so I could appreciate the instant torque that would slam you back into your seats (always a very fun experience). This car must be absolutely insane compare to the normal P85. I would own one if I had a house to charge it up at :\ There's also no nearby Superchargers here either. 

It takes vision to change the world and Elon Musk has that. I have the greatest respect for him. The Model S is a no-compromise electric car which although expensive is doing a lot to change public perception. Just wait until the Model III comes out, it'll sell like hotcakes. It won't be long before gasoline cars appear dated and obsolete.

They will be outdated, IMO, when the range and charge times become reasonable enough. If I wanted to do a 400 mile journey, at some point in this I'd have to stop, find a charging station (not always easy), and let it charge for at least a couple of hours (maybe more, depending on which type of charger I'm able to find). In a petrol car that would equate to a 5 minute fuel stop.

They will be outdated, IMO, when the range and charge times become reasonable enough. If I wanted to do a 400 mile journey, at some point in this I'd have to stop, find a charging station (not always easy), and let it charge for at least a couple of hours (maybe more, depending on which type of charger I'm able to find). In a petrol car that would equate to a 5 minute fuel stop.

Tesla has superchargers that'll cover all your road trips unless you're planning some sort of strange backroads journey. It's a 20 minute charge to 80%. A small price to pay for not paying for gas.

I drove the normal P85 version, and I thought it was decently quick at the time. I had a CLS 63 at the time, so I could appreciate the instant torque that would slam you back into your seats (always a very fun experience). This car must be absolutely insane compare to the normal P85. I would own one if I had a house to charge it up at :\ There's also no nearby Superchargers here either. 

Charge it overnight.

I only see it being a problem if you travel out of the state a lot.

Charge it overnight.

I only see it being a problem if you travel out of the state a lot.

Reread my post - my problem is I have no where to charge it - no house/garage.

These Teslas need some speakers on the motor so it can at least pretend to make some sound.

Why? There's tire/wind noise. 

Extension cord?

I guess I've never lived in an apartment complex where you couldn't find an outlet.

Extension cord?

I guess I've never lived in an apartment complex where you couldn't find an outlet.

Haha, It's just not ideal here in this complex (or any complex I've lived at). I also technically do have a garage in my apartment, but there are also no outlets in it. I have a habit of not parking in it just because it is just not cold/snowy yet, therefore it's a storage unit for now. 

Haha, It's just not ideal here in this complex (or any complex I've lived at). I also technically do have a garage in my apartment, but there are also no outlets in it. I have a habit of not parking in it just because it is just not cold/snowy yet, therefore it's a storage unit for now. 

That sucks.

You in Cali?  There is a bill out there to try and force complexes to provide chargers for EVs.

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/08/31/california-bill-renters-install-electric-car-charging-stations/

That sucks.

You in Cali?  There is a bill out there to try and force complexes to provide chargers for EVs.

http://cleantechnica.com/2014/08/31/california-bill-renters-install-electric-car-charging-stations/

Nope, upstate NY. Yeah, something like this would be nice - if EV adoption rate goes up, I'm sure more apt. complexes will include a facility for charging. 

Tesla has superchargers that'll cover all your road trips unless you're planning some sort of strange backroads journey. It's a 20 minute charge to 80%. A small price to pay for not paying for gas.

There are currently 4 of them in the UK. The chance of your trip passing one of these when you need juice is minimal at best.

There are currently 4 of them in the UK. The chance of your trip passing one of these when you need juice is minimal at best.

There's actually 8 - the map isn't as up to date as the list below it. And it looks like they have 5 or so more planned by the end of this next Winter, and about another 10 after that by the end of 2015. Should be fine if you do a couple extra minutes of planning before leaving. And I doubt Tesla stops there once their cars become more popular - they'll build more, and I bet traditional gas stations will start to add superchargers as well to get people to keep coming to their stores within a couple years.

It won't be long I think before electric range significantly exceeds gas range and recharge times are comparable. There's so much research and progress every year in batteries - not just for electric cars but all the mobile computing industry - it's only a matter of perhaps 5 years, realistically. Between 2020 and 2030 the gasoline car will all but be obsoleted. About damn time.

See for example

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191924-your-next-smartphone-or-ev-will-recharge-to-70-in-just-two-minutes-thanks-to-new-lithium-ion-battery-tech

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/elon-musk-says-500-mile-range-tesla-coming-soon/

Note that paradoxically, even with today's long recharge times, EV owners rarely spend any time waiting for charges because they just leave their vehicle plugged in at night and never have to worry about it. They can even have the vehicle pre-heated at a programmed time on AC power and still leave with a full charge in winter. Note some people pre-heat their gasoline cars but it's bad for the engine and very toxic for anyone passing by. As a resident of Montreal, QC this kind of detail really matters to me. :p

The visually impaired advocacy groups complained there still wasn't enough sound for them to reliably hear an EV's approach, so sound emitter requirements have been proposed.

$100k? Bargain :(

Shame as I would buy one of these in a heartbeat, it's fun to confuse Porsche owners that a battery car is keeping up :p

(favourite story I've heard so far was the V10 Diesel VW Phaeton, keeping up with a 911 Turbo)

$100k? Bargain :(

Shame as I would buy one of these in a heartbeat, it's fun to confuse Porsche owners that a battery car is keeping up :p

(favourite story I've heard so far was the V10 Diesel VW Phaeton, keeping up with a 911 Turbo)

Well yeah, electric motors have instant torque at 0 RPM...

There are plenty of cars that can keep up with supercars in a straight line. Ex: MB E63 AMG S 4MATIC, Audi RS7, both can rocket to 60 MPH in 3.2 - 3.4. However, they will not keep up with the 911 in the twisties. They're just far heavier, and aren't as nimble as the 911. Any modern AMG or M or RS are superb for straight line performance. 

Will it be under $40k?