Is Android Wear right for you?

Is Android Wear right for you?

Your problem wondering why I started a new thread when I already created a Moto 360 thread. Well this thread is not about the Moto 360 but Android Wear in general, more specifically if Android Wear is right for you. You might be on the fence about getting it or wondering if you would even use it, and / or find it useful.

I'm going to make a list of things that Android Wear does really well and whether these would help you justify buying an Android Wear Watch.

Would you like like to be able to.

Have your phone be in a different room, hear that you just got a text message / email , get a copy of the text message / email on your wrist swipe to the side and use your voice to respond or tap and scroll to read it.

Be walking and get a text message / email, look at your wrist, read the text message / email, swipe to the side and respond with your voice or tap to scroll. Without having to dig the phone out of your pocket.

Be Walking and wondering if you have any new notifications. Look at your wrist and check without pulling your phone out of your pocket.

Have you're phone is right next to you or in your pocket hear that you just got a text message / email , get a copy of the text message / email on your wrist. You swipe to the side and use your voice to respond or tap and scroll to read it. Without having to dig the phone out of your pocket or reach over and grab your phone.

Be Walking and all of the sudden someone calls you but your phone is on vibrate and or you don't hear it going off in your pocket. All of the sudden your wrist starts vibrating. You look at your wrist and it see you who is calling. At this point you can swipe and ignore the call or get the phone out of your pocket and answer the phone.

Leave your phone in a public establishment or you leave your house without your phone your wrist starts buzzing telling you, you just forgot your phone.

Not be able to find your phone in your house! You tap an app on your wrist that says "Find my phone" all of the sudden your phone starts ringing.

Be able to change the watch face of your watch.

There are a bunch of other apps to which add additional functionality to your watch than those listed above. But if what I listed above does not interest you, android wear is not for you.

If what I listed above makes you even slightly excited at the thought or sounds like something you could really use or (in my case) scratches an itch you've had for a while, I think Android Wear is for you.

As long as they are not water/pressure proof to up to 130ft it's a non starter for me!

I don't want to have to remember to take of my watch every time I go in the water

But I guess MS wear or Apple wear has the same problem at the moment :)

I will be interested once they got to the point I don't need to charge them directly. I own a self winding watch so that keeping my watch powered is something I don't ever have to think about. I wouldn't want to be charging my watch every night as is the case with current wearable tech watches.

For the foreseeable future I pass.

I will be interested once they got to the point I don't need to charge them directly. I own a self winding watch so that keeping my watch powered is something I don't ever have to think about. I wouldn't want to be charging my watch every night as is the case with current wearable tech watches.

If you are someone who wears a watch during the day takes it off before bed and puts it back on in the morning, I call tell you with about a weeks worth of use of the 360. You take it off at night plop it on the wireless charger and you really don't even have to think about it.

Then again it's my personal preference.

I can pretty much do that on a Pebble for under $100, the battery lasts longer and the display is readable in direct sunlight.  Unless you like being an early adopter or love color touch screens over buttons, I'm not sure AndroidWear is worth the extra cost, yet.

I can pretty much do that on a Pebble for under $100, the battery lasts longer and the display is readable in direct sunlight.  Unless you like being an early adopter or love color touch screens over buttons, I'm not sure Android Wear is worth the extra cost, yet.

After using Android wear I don't think I could try a non touch screen watch. The swiping / tapping ability is just to nice. That being said, if anyone hasn't  tried Android Wear then pebble probably wouldn't seem that bad.

If you are someone who wears a watch during the day takes it off before bed and puts it back on in the morning, I call tell you with about a weeks worth of use of the 360. You take it off at night plop it on the wireless charger and you really don't even have to think about it.

Then again it's my personal preference.

I do take my watch off to sleep. But it would be an inconvenience to have to plug it in...

I switched to a self winding because I found the battery replacement on traditional watches to be a major annoyance even though they hit me once a year or two.

Same to the phone... you take the phone out of the pocket and charge it up then you go to bed... then you wake up, take the phone and place it in the pocket... you do the same step every night.

What is the difference?

I do take my watch off to sleep. But it would be an inconvenience to have to plug it in...

I switched to a self winding because I found the battery replacement on traditional watches to be a major annoyance even though they hit me once a year or two.

I completely agree with you. Which is what put me off the other 2 watches before the 360. The 360 just gets "Set" in the wireless charger and it charges.

I have the 360. i don't feel I have all that much use for it.  It's nice to see a notification without having to get my phone out but that's about as far as i take it.  I don't sleep with it on so taking it out and instead of putting on the side I put it in the cradle which is on the side so it's no big bug bare.  The battery is ample and easily gets me through a working day.

I just hope Wear 2.0 brings more features and more uses.  For now though it's just an extention of my notification bar.

Same to the phone... you take the phone out of the pocket and charge it up then you go to bed... then you wake up, take the phone and place it in the pocket... you do the same step every night.

What is the difference?

I often forget to charge my phone before bed. I have a wireless charging dock on my desk for this reason. I won't do a similar deal for my watch.

I often forget to charge my phone before bed. I have a wireless charging dock on my desk for this reason. I won't do a similar deal for my watch.

Some cars have wireless charging for phones near the shift/automatic stick.  You could do the same for phone/watch if both have same built-in wireless charging system in the phones/watches.

Like this:

2013-toyota-avalon-interior-qi-charging.

Within a few years, all new models from all car/truck companies will have wireless charging system in the vehicles. That way, you wouldn't worry about forgetting charging your phone or watch. You can charge anytime.

I'm frequently in loud places where I wouldn't hear my phone in my pocket. And when I'm on the move, I probably won't feel the vibration in there either. I can definitely feel the vibration on my wrist from the smart watch. And yes, being able to acknowledge and act upon events without pulling out my phone is pretty useful. Obviously, for the more complicated things, like writing a lengthy email reply, I would have to take my phone out. But otherwise, smart watches are pretty useful. 

After using Android wear I don't think I could try a non touch screen watch. The swiping / tapping ability is just to nice. That being said, if anyone hasn't  tried Android Wear then pebble probably wouldn't seem that bad.

I've tried both, but I decided on Pebble, mostly because I don't see it as a long term investment. I fully expect to have an Android Wear watch by the time v3 rolls around, until then I wanted something that was functional, stable, looked good and inexpensive.