A lot of computers with "User Profile cannot be loaded" with AVG installed.

The_User_Profile_Service_failed_the_logo

For a good 6 months now i've been getting a lot of computers in my shop, 2 just today, with the error "The User profile cannot be loaded". I've noticed 9/10 computers with this issue have some form of AVG installed, either the AVG toolbar or the Free Antivirus. Has anyone else noticed this? .. While the fix is simple

mount software hive from BartPE and go to Microsoft\Windows NT\current version\profilelist and add old at the end of the current user profile then remove .bak off the back of the backup copy, reboot and you are back in businesses.

I've seen it happen with the 2013 version as well as the Newest Version of AVG.

AVG also does a HORRIBLE job of uninstalling!!!!!! This is not the first time i've uninstalled AVG, rebooted and found this.. There is still an AVG 2014 shortcut on the desktop for christ sake! What a pile of ######.

15496094441_24b84cf64b.jpg

Simpler fix would be to go to Safe mode and login there (temp profile).  You can then make the registry change and reboot.  Done.  ;)

For AVG uninstall as normal then use the AVGremover to clean out the crap leftovers.

Warwagon,

Interesting you posted this, and thank you!

I just got a computer in today with this issue.

Did they have AVG or the AVG toolbar?

Come to think of it, this isn't the first time I've come across AVG screwing up computers over the years.

Years back it would delete windows system files needed to boot as false positives - and it didn't happen once, but several times.

This is no surprise...

For AVG uninstall as normal then use the AVGremover to clean out the crap leftovers.

Correct. That's exactly what I ran. Hell that's sometimes what I use instead of the uninstaller.

I have AVG File Server Edition on my Server 2012 R2 system and AVG Free on my media PC (no extras installed, just the AV).

Never seen the "The User profile cannot be loaded" error at any time. Strange, I wonder what the root cause could be?