Is it possible WIN10 solved my problem?

I have been, in the past year, using 2 different hard drives in my Toshiba L505 laptop. Both with Win7 on them and from time to time the machine would just freeze with either HD and I had to hold the power button and restart the machine. This could happen once a week or several times a day. I put the new Windows 10 on one of the hard drives the day it came out and it has been running perfect so far. Does this sound like a driver was the problem, or am I just lucky so far?

You would need to do a lot more testing than that!! Have you checked the Event logs before? Have you ran a hard drive test? Memory test? Are you using all the same applications for example? Give us more to work with ..........  :)

I ran a memory test first of all. One of the HD's is brand new, the other is a few years old. I checked the events log but nothing stood out. Both HD's were set up the same way. There are a lot of reports on the internet about the Toshiba Satellite laptops just freezing and needing to be shut down and restarted. Presently I have not used them since WIN 10 came out.

From what I've read lately there's no chance whatsoever that a newer piece of software could be better than a previous version, and that you are likely to get better results if you try downgrading rather than upgrading. /s

I have been, in the past year, using 2 different hard drives in my Toshiba L505 laptop. Both with Win7 on them and from time to time the machine would just freeze with either HD and I had to hold the power button and restart the machine. This could happen once a week or several times a day. I put the new Windows 10 on one of the hard drives the day it came out and it has been running perfect so far. Does this sound like a driver was the problem, or am I just lucky so far?

it could be anything, honestly: driver issues, hardware, some corrupt Windows system file, malware, you name it. The only thing different, apart from the new OS, is the fact that you installed a clean OS. I would look in the other HDD for anything in the event viewer and do some HDD tests on both of them (doesn't matter if one of them is brand new; new stuff can fail as well). If it isn't a hardware issue then you can also install a brand new Windows 7 in this same HDD, test if it freezes, fully update it, test if it freezes, install drivers, test if it freezes, and so on until you find the culprit: it does take more work, but at least you can be sure what causes the problems you are seeing (you can shortcut if you just install the same software that exists in both HDD, since both of them are having the same issues).

• 1 month later...

OK, I found the solution to Toshiba Laptops freezing and having to do a hard reset. The problem shows when service pack 1 is added to Windows 7 (also possible Windows 8 has the same problem). To correct the bug go to this Microsoft address: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2545227. Run the 'Microsoft Fixit' on that page or just save the file and run it. The reason I had the problem with 2 hard drives and not the 3rd hard drive is I had Windows 7 on the 2 drives that froze but the 3rd drive had Windows 10 Preview Edition on it since the day it came out and it never froze. I removed Preview Edition on the 3rd drive and put Windows 7 on with service pack 1 and it froze in less than 3 hours.

Did you point to the correct KB?  That is a about a useless event 10 error..  I don't see how that could have any effect on a machine and cause it to freeze up.

"Event ID 10 is logged in the Application log after you install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2"

When you people talk about having the problem with 1 hard drive and not the other.. This sure points to a install issue with the OS you have installed on that disk.

it could be anything, honestly: driver issues, hardware, some corrupt Windows system file, malware, you name it. The only thing different, apart from the new OS, is the fact that you installed a clean OS. I would look in the other HDD for anything in the event viewer and do some HDD tests on both of them (doesn't matter if one of them is brand new; new stuff can fail as well). If it isn't a hardware issue then you can also install a brand new Windows 7 in this same HDD, test if it freezes, fully update it, test if it freezes, install drivers, test if it freezes, and so on until you find the culprit: it does take more work, but at least you can be sure what causes the problems you are seeing (you can shortcut if you just install the same software that exists in both HDD, since both of them are having the same issues).

Yep,

That's a no brainer, IMO.

It's the clean install of the new OS that solved the issue.

I have a few Toshiba laptops here with various versions of Windows 7SP1, Ultimate, Professional and Home Premium on them that have NEVER frozen!

So my son's laptop was having a issue with same sort of freeze ups..  He reported it only happened on return from standby.  This was a win 7 running on lenovo g500.  I spent decent amount of time trying to troubleshoot this problem, looking to different drivers, looking at reports from powercfg, etc.

sometimes it would come out of standby without any issues - other times would have to yank the freaking battery to get it unhung.. Since I could not really find anything, nothing in the event logs that pointed to anything.  Finally was going to do a clean install, so since was going to do a clean install anyway - had him change to SSD.. Picked up a 840 pro for $80..  Told him if this doesn't fix it - he could use the new SSD in his new laptop ;)

My point is, you can only spend so much time trying to find a cause when you are looking at negative return on the troubleshooting time - time to reset and start clean, does the problem happen clean?  Well now you have more info to work with - and could be a hardware issue, etc..  If doesn't happen on clean - then you need to pay attention to what your installing and if/when the problem comes back you hopefully should know what the trigger was.

So while you have NEW OS, you also have clean install - clean install of version you were running might have also removed the problem.  Sounds like your working with some multiple boot setup, how are you booting the different disks - are you swapping them, just using bios boot order?  Could be lots of issues there that could cause problems, but again I doubt it was anything to do with that event 10 KB article you linked too..

Yep,

That's a no brainer, IMO.

It's the clean install of the new OS that solved the issue.

I have a few Toshiba laptops here with various versions of Windows 7SP1, Ultimate, Professional and Home Premium on them that have NEVER frozen!

The hard drive I'm using right now had Win 10 on it. It now has Win7 and frozen within 3 hours of installation. After the freeze I ran the kb and have not had any other freezing problems. So the clean install diid not repair the problem because it froze after the clean install.