Share Unshare folders

Question

I  have some folders to share in windows 7.

currently, I am sharing this way ....... I am selecting every individual folder and then right click > property>share>advanced share > permission> allow all > click close ..ok

This takes lot of time ....also I have to unshare all of them again by the same process.

Is there any easy approach wherer I can just select folders and click "share" .....and once shared ...I can do the opposite to "unshare" all .

10 answers to this question

Yea you can share the whole drive if you want.. Admin shares would be the way to access the whole drive, They were turned off out of the box starting with vista, but it can be turned back on with this reg key

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/947232

1. Click Start
    VistaStartButton.jpg
    , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
  3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
  4. Type LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to name the new entry, and then press ENTER.
  5. Right-click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  7. Exit Registry Editor.

So example

post-14624-0-35850900-1413122653.png

Why do you need multiple shares? Are you setting different permissions at the share level? Who are you sharing too?

You only need to share the parent folder, all other folders under that would be accessed via the share. In a home setup I can not see reason for more than a handful of shares at best. I assume this is home setup because why would windows 7 be sharing anything in a company setup.

Do you have multiple disks your trying to share from? For example I share my media folder off my server, under there are movies, tv, pictures, music under different folders. Only if wanted to say map a driver letter to say just the pictures folder would pictures need to be shared on its own.

If you could give some insight to your folder structure and who/how you access these shares we can go over best method of sharing them - I would be shocked if you need to share more than a couple of folders to access whatever you want.

Why do you need multiple shares? Are you setting different permissions at the share level? Who are you sharing too?

You only need to share the parent folder, all other folders under that would be accessed via the share. In a home setup I can not see reason for more than a handful of shares at best. I assume this is home setup because why would windows 7 be sharing anything in a company setup.

Do you have multiple disks your trying to share from? For example I share my media folder off my server, under there are movies, tv, pictures, music under different folders. Only if wanted to say map a driver letter to say just the pictures folder would pictures need to be shared on its own.

If you could give some insight to your folder structure and who/how you access these shares we can go over best method of sharing them - I would be shocked if you need to share more than a couple of folders to access whatever you want.

I am copying folders from one machine to another machine using direct LAN cable.

all my folders are in C:\   .... They are seperate folders . I dont want to put them under a parent folder.(because of some complexities) and share the parent folder.

any workaround ?

N.B: can I share the entire C:\   ?   I'll unshare once the required folders are copied to other machine through direct  LAN cable.

alternatively let me know if there is any quick share/unshare tool

Yea you can share the whole drive if you want.. Admin shares would be the way to access the whole drive, They were turned off out of the box starting with vista, but it can be turned back on with this reg key

http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/947232

1. Click Start
    VistaStartButton.jpg

Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
  4. Type LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to name the new entry, and then press ENTER.
  7. Exit Registry Editor.

So example

attachicon.gifadminshare.png

I dont want to touch registry.

Ok...now that I modified registry but still it did not solve my issue.

Click Start

1. VistaStartButton.jpg

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (64-bit) Value.  // I did this because I have 64 bit
  7. Exit Registry Editor.

But still when I try to access  \\192.168.1.2\c$  I get  windows can not access !!!

What happened ?

(machines are properly connected via a LAN cable)

Since the files are all on the same drive, just create a folder called "Data" on the root of C:.  Move the folders you created (never put them on root of c for future imo) into the Data folder.  Since they are on same drive its pretty much instant.  Then share the Data folder.

N.B:

Ok...now that I modified registry but still it did not solve my issue.

Click Start

1. VistaStartButton.jpg

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (64-bit) Value.  // I did this because I have 64 bit
  7. Exit Registry Editor.

But still when I try to access  \\192.168.1.2\c$  I get  windows can not access !!!

What happened ?

(machines are properly connected via a LAN cable)

My since apology ... LAN cable was not plugged in properly :rolleyes:

Its working fine. You are just wonderful....thanks

yes..file copy done ...... please tell me now ...how do I unshare the C:\  now ?

Should I delete LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy  ?  Is it safe to delete from registry ? I am scared to do such operation when it comes to registry stuff.

sure if you want to turn off admin shares - just remove the entry and now admin shares are not available.  Or change the value to 0