ioSafe 214 NAS review - water and fireproof

In case you missed it on the front page, here's a link to a review of the ioSafe 214. It's basically a Synology NAS built into a fireproof and water proof case:

https://www.neowin.net/news/fire-and-water-the-iosafe-214-nas-review

I think the pictures of the device in the fire and water turned out great, although I'm probably a bit biased since I took 'em. :D

The device isn't for everyone, but for those who want to make sure your data can survive a house fire (and/or flood), it's at least worth taking a look at.

Umm, did you read the review?  The drives are fine...

That was a bit of sarcasm, sorry...

Well even fireproof safes only provide safety for a certain time d temperature. I doubt they'd survive a house fire unless the firecrews showed up fast.

Well even fireproof safes only provide safety for a certain time d temperature. I doubt they'd survive a house fire unless the firecrews showed up fast.

Obviously wasn't able to test this, but the literature says it can survive a 1500F fire for 30 minutes. While typically a home fire may last longer than that, you're not going to have that temperature in one room for that long -- the fire will burn through the room.  In addition, while a house fire can get up to 1100F, according to Ready.gov, the room is usually "only" around 500:  http://www.ready.gov/home-fires

So yeah, it should be able to last 30-60 minutes in the house.  It's why most firesafes are rated the way they are as well.

If the house burns down. which is the likely option if the house already caught solidly fire and there's no immediate danger for other nearby houses, as the firecrew will generally just let them burn then and just keep everything around safe. It's going to get well above that as the house collapses though. 

of course for city and apartment house people that doesn't generally apply.