Skype Beta UI Suggestion. Mockup

15330177960_47dd8ea92c_b.jpg

This is just a mockup for the new Beta Skype. The current version has such a waste of space at the top. Here is one that has been mocked up with the spaces removed.

15330177960_47dd8ea92c_b.jpg

This is just a mockup for the new Beta Skype. The current version has such a waste of space at the time. Here is one that has been mocked up with the spaces removed.

Looks much better (y)

Thought I respect your opinion, there is a reason that the margin's are slightly larger. Its because it looks cleaner to the average consumer.

• Like 1

that colors looking so like windows live messenger

Your mockup places the options in the UI too close to each other.

They could probably be a tad farther apart. But not as far apart as before.

But but your mock-up is less touch-friendly.

In all seriousness, Home and Call should be on the same row, or better yet, there should be an option to hide them.

post-4927-0-25194800-1413149552.jpg

• Like 2

In my opinion, the space makes sense. It's negative space, here's good write-up about that: http://designmodo.com/negative-space/

Although the article mainly talks about negative space in web designing, it could be applied to UI designing in general.

• Like 1

Made in under 2 minutes using MS Paint. Just to show how it could be designed instead.

much better. warwagon's is wayy too squished. the spaces shouldn't be eliminated, they just need better placement of the UI elements.

I'm perfectly fine with the Skype UI as it is, arguably a waste of some space sure, but do you plan on making (a) suggestion(s) that will end up filling that space with something else or..... ?

I much prefer the space of the original design. There's a reason all the elements aren't crammed together.

Original design, has to much wasted space.

Original design, has to much wasted space.

Your design, cramps up everything in a tight space, making it look cluttered. :p

Yes, this is a subjective thing, no debate there. Personally I think that it looks better if you hide the pictures. The space is there, yet the spacing between UI controls is preserved, making it look much cleaner. Tools - Options - Show profile pictures. Try it.

Your design, cramps up everything in a tight space, making it look cluttered. :p

Yes, this is a subjective thing, no debate there. Personally I think that it looks better if you hide the pictures. The space is there, yet the spacing between UI controls is preserved, making it look much cleaner. Tools - Options - Show profile pictures. Try it.

Well it would have been good but there is still a triple space between each name.

I like the spacing on my trillian list better.

post-4927-0-56500300-1413228732.png

post-4927-0-45573900-1413228780.png

I'm not convinced yet, having not used the beta and not being able to find an official download source. Anyone care to help me out?

Well it would have been good but there is still a triple space between each name.

I like the spacing on my trillian list better.

That is weird... Oh, go into View, and then click the Simple List View. Forgot about that.

I'm not convinced yet, having not used the beta and not being able to find an official download source. Anyone care to help me out?

Front page?

That is weird... Oh, go into View, and then click the Simple List View. Forgot about that.

Oh, that's getting better. Contact looks better now. Now the top half is just way to much wasted space.

Oh, that's getting better. Contact looks better now. Now the top half is just way to much wasted space.

You may want to re-enable the profile pictures, since with the Simple List View mode then don't show up in the list.