Hard Drive Upgrades

Hi,

I am going to need to replace one of my internal drives. How do I know which drive is where inside my system?

I can get all kinds of information about the drive in Windows, but nothing tells me which SATA port or whatnot its located? 

Anyway to do this?

I now notice my testing software does not really tell me which one it is either. It gives me no real information to even tell me which within windows it is :(.....hmmm

As mentioned above, BIOS, or check the device manager, remembering it starts with zero, not one.  Random example off of one of mine:

drivelocat.png

I feel your pain.

Seeing how I have 5 drives in my system I took about some time one day to figure out which drive was which and put lables on them..

Drive C is the only SSD drive in the system, I know which one that is.

Drive D

Drive F

Drive G

Drive S

:)

1) UEFI/Bios - If you have a UEFI based motherboard, it might even map out the drive to SATA port connections 

2) Open the computer! - write down the mappings somewhere, for reference. Or you could even label them (nice if you're not changing drives often). 

Slightly off topic but I just bought a new laptop with an SSD ... oh my, the speed is crazy! Boots Windows 8.1 in around 8 seconds, from cold!

Anyway, as you were ... just wanted to say that :-)

ROG mainboards have the SATA #, so it should be fairly trivial to find the disk.

EKWB_ASUSSBM6G-2.jpg

Also you did mention you are going to replace a disk; do you know the port number or the SN? If yes then, like i said, open the case and check the SN of the disk or the port number. Also in the UEFI there's the SN of the disks and the SATA port where those disks are attached.

ROG mainboards have the SATA #, so it should be fairly trivial to find the disk.

<image>

Also you did mention you are going to replace a disk; do you know the port number or the SN? If yes then, like i said, open the case and check the SN of the disk or the port number. Also in the UEFI there's the SN of the disks and the SATA port where those disks are attached.

Most motherboards label their SATA ports on the board itself...

Side note...

I scanned my drive with HDD Regenerator and during the scan the menu sais "Replace HardDrive Immediately" but it ended with 0 bad sectors and nothing wrong.....Anyone know why it would show that during the scan and not say anything at the end of it? 

Most motherboards label their SATA ports on the board itself...

true but this simple fact does help finding out a disk :)

OP: please use the OEM tools for testing the disk, or use a SMART reading tool and post the results in here. I do use HD Tune but you might use anything that can read the SMART table anyway.

My testing software (Stablebit) says this.

"These is currently 1 unstable sector on the hard disk. An unstable sector is a sector that can't be read. The drive will automatically swap the bad sector for a good one whenever new data is written to it, however, the original data may be lost."

I have been trying to run software to see if it can repair it....no luck as of yet....cause my other software needs to test each drive because I don't know which one it is.

My testing software (Stablebit) says this.

"These is currently 1 unstable sector on the hard disk. An unstable sector is a sector that can't be read. The drive will automatically swap the bad sector for a good one whenever new data is written to it, however, the original data may be lost."

I have been trying to run software to see if it can repair it....no luck as of yet....cause my other software needs to test each drive because I don't know which one it is.

are you using Stablebit Scanner? because Scanner says the SN of the faulty disk, and from there you can find which one is having a "unstable" sector.

^ exacgtly --> stablebit does show the serial number - there you go!  What else do you need? Look at each disk until you find that serial number.

If it was bad, that software would not say its nothing to worry about.....no one wants to help me figure out how to try and fix bad sectors?

And some people might want to try and save it, so we don't have to spend more money we don't have :)

I ran the Western Digital software, and it seems to say all are fine. So how can Stablebit be telling me something else?

stablebit is just reporting what the smart info??  What is the exact error you seeing?

I just recently had to rma a drive - not because it was failing, but because the LCC was out of this world.. 300K, and was going up by thousands a day.  The smart info says anything over 300K could mean possible failure coming - the seagate tools tested everything was fine.  But contacting seagate they replaced it..

1 unstable sector is not reason to replace the drive..  You could do a low level format, that should mark the drive either good or bad, etc.  And be done with it..  Post up all the smart info..

So your saying the filesystem scan that stablebit does is showing the error?

That is what Stablebit is telling me.

"S.M.A.R.T. is not predicting imminent disk failure. However, some well known S.M.A.R.T. attributes that are indicators of mechanical problems are showing signs that the drive could be failing."

Current Pending Sector Count is the one flagged.

I can not format it, as I have no where to put the data (unless I replace it..)

That is what Stablebit is telling me.

"S.M.A.R.T. is not predicting imminent disk failure. However, some well known S.M.A.R.T. attributes that are indicators of mechanical problems are showing signs that the drive could be failing."

Current Pending Sector Count is the one flagged.

I can not format it, as I have no where to put the data (unless I replace it..)

Hard Disk Sentinel can format your drive without losing data. It's called a read - write - read surface test and it does take a very long time (48 hours on a 2TB drive). Maybe Stablebit has something similar.

What I would suggest you do is open a ticket with stablebit..  Dude their support is nothing but fantastic.  When I was getting the error on LCC, I opened a ticket and to be honest not really their issue that smart values say this or that since those come from the maker..

But they had an actual dialog with me, not this canned responses - we even discussed ability to adjust when next warning comes vs just next error when you set a value to ignored until next error, etc..

Post up the error you seeing, etc and ask them if replacement is warranted - how to possible remove the error, etc.

As to this

"I can not format it, as I have no where to put the data (unless I replace it..)"

This is problem IMHO!!  You should always have enough space to move files off a disk, be it your system disk, your storage disks, etc.. You should never put yourself in a storage setup where you can not move files off one disk to another location in case you need to do something with that drive, etc.  Even if multiple places..  If your running your total storage so close to full that you can not remove 1 drive -- you should really rethink your storage space.  Pick up a external for temp space, do some clean up, etc..  You should have enough space on other disks to remove your largest drive..

Not suggestion you should never go over 50% usage on a disk - what I am saying is largest location of files should be able to be removed from you system and then files put back.  That way no matter what drive in your location has issues you have the space to work on it without data loss.  If you currently can not do this then yes I would go buy a disk that gets you to there - maybe its a small 1TB disk, maybe its a update of one of your 2TB to a 3TB and now have the 2TB for swap/temp usage, etc.

My data always grows, and its not that easy to keep up with. Yes, it can be that fast, not always, but yea.  I'd love to get new drives, but trying to save money, or more so, do not have the money lol

My drives are 3TB by the way :) Anyway, I suppose I will open a ticket with them and see what they say.

@budMan You also have very high standards :) I am a home user with a computer with a bunch of drives running Windows 8 and some certain software. Not a company like Facebook lol

Your points always make sense, and are smart. Though its not exactly my biggest concern though to try and make sure these details happen. I want my data safe, yes, but its not that simple.

Anyway, I do appreciate you helping all the time.