Replacing a super noisy fan, can't find replacement

What kind of fan is this? It's like offset fan on top of the processor, sort of like bonded with heatsink of some sort?

I want to replace this because it sounds like a plane taking off whenever I am streaming HD content from Amazon, Hulu, etc.

When it's idle, the computer is whisper quiet, whenever there is some processing involved, it goes wild.

This is on Vostro 200.

It's 80mm

1fe2be736e61519ba230de46887029d3.png

c5f3d24b9ed839ea690a9ca153c0f577.png

A quick Google yielded:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Vostro-Inspiron-Heatsink-JY167/dp/B003EGO12K

I don't know if you'll be able to get away with just replacing the fan.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I am looking for quiet fan replacement, like one of those 3rd party fans that have lower db even at full speed.

I guess I can't do that since this is some kind of custom fan?

Do you think I can use a 3rd party software to lower the rpm to keep it queit?

Looks like a normal case fan in a strange place.

nope, it's a Dell proprietary fan design; there are some fans that can serve as replacements, but i doubt it would be any better then this one.

That fan unclips from the heatsink. Its just a standard 80mm fan. Get one of super quiet ones, and a molex fan controller (cheap off eBay) if it doesn't come already converted to 3-pin and it'll take 30 seconds to change.

Thanks everyone, the pictures were taken during my routine cleaning (about once every couple of months) so it's cleaner actually I just happen to take the pictures before I cleaned it.

To apply thermal paste, I would need to remove the old one, right? Or just uncouple apply and stick it back on?

That fan unclips from the heatsink. Its just a standard 80mm fan. Get one of super quiet ones, and a molex fan controller (cheap off eBay) if it doesn't come already converted to 3-pin and it'll take 30 seconds to change.

Do you have a link for me to just click and buy a replacement and then once I have it on hand, I can just experiment with this to see if it actually will uncouple so I can replace the 80MM.

I've never seen a fan on top of heatsink, I thought it would normally be either one or the other, didn't think a fan would do much to help cool processor from behind a heat sink, unless heat sink has slots so fan can blow through them? This one seems weird.

PS: Vostro has been serving me well as my HTPC for couple of years already with Win 7 Pro installed running XBMC+WMC+HDHR2.

Hello,

From looking at several pictures showing the heat sink at different angles via the link crispkreme provided, it appears the fan is just clipped into the heatsink.

I would suggest carefully removing it and looking at the label on the opposite side to get the manufacturer and model number.  With that, you should then be able to identify a replacement fan that meets your need (e.g., similar number of CFM but lower dB).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I would think pretty much any correct sized fan should work - even if you have to redo the power connection on it maybe? But a good cleaning an bit of oil as suggested can do wonders. There should be a oil hole, maybe under the sticker (backside?)

I had a noisy one - good cleaning and oil and now quiet as a mouse ;)

I would think pretty much any correct sized fan should work - even if you have to redo the power connection on it maybe? But a good cleaning an bit of oil as suggested can do wonders. There should be a oil hole, maybe under the sticker (backside?)

I had a noisy one - good cleaning and oil and now quiet as a mouse ;)

Sometimes, there are clips holding the fan in place.  You can remove the clips and slide the fan out and give it a good cleaning.  Sometimes, just drirty.  If it is still noisy, then the bearings may have worn out.

What kind of fan is this? It's like offset fan on top of the processor, sort of like bonded with heatsink of some sort?

I want to replace this because it sounds like a plane taking off whenever I am streaming HD content from Amazon, Hulu, etc.

When it's idle, the computer is whisper quiet, whenever there is some processing involved, it goes wild.

This is on Vostro 200.

It's 80mm

You can get a while unit for $45 on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170610781363?lpid=82

Or search for Vostro 200 CPU fan and you will get more options

There's nothing proprietary about that heatsink/fan. Actually, it's a standard 80mm (or 92mm - I can't remember) PWM fan. So as far as OEMs trying to get you to NEED their parts, this would be the opposite.

First, blow out the dust. That's terrible. The added airflow by opening up the fins will probably allow it to cool enough that the fan won't ramp up when the CPU is under load. That might be the only thing you need to do.

IF you still want to replace the fan, I've grown a crazy love for Noctua fans. I'd recommend either of these:

80mm: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=100&lng=en

92mm: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=103&lng=en

Just get the right fan for whatever size is on there now. The Noctuas will be quiet(er) AND will get the job done as far as cooling, assuming you want to spend the money, and don't just settle for blowing the dust out.

Further reading, and it IS an 80mm, and I've never oiled a fan (makes me shake my head a little, unless it's making some crazy bearing noise), and last, I'd avoid taking the heatsink off the CPU if it's never been removed, because the standard thermal material should be fine if it's never been screwed with, and should be doing it's job. It seems to me that this is more a case of "oh dear god the dust!" 2 degrees for putting arctic silver under there just isn't worth the hassle. Clean fins are MUCH more effective.

I guess maybe I have oiled a fan once in all the years I've been doing this, but usually when it gets to the point where it makes any noise, I replace it. By then, new models have been released & I like to see what the buzz is about. No pun intended. ha.

Its not something I do every day either - but then again I have been working/playing with computers for 30+ years.. Even then sure I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have done it -- without just getting a new one ;)

• 6 months later...

The other day I removed the fan to clean it and take it to store to replace the fan (PC wasn't being used for the last couple of months, and I before that I cleaned the fan monthly, the noise was considerably less especially in the winter) so anyway I noticed the heatsink thermal paste already came off and the mounting plastic points (screw housing) on the fan side actually broke, so two of the screws do not hold it down at all so it is being held down only by two screws on one side. (the mother board end seems to be fine, it's only the fan's plastic part that was broken)

So I think I should just buy a new heatsink+fan and replace this old one.

Would this be a compatible/recommended replacement..

http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Alpine-20-Plus-CO/dp/B00AZBR296/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i?

My processor E2160 and socket is LGA775