Control Panel or PC Settings?

Which do you prefer?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Control Panel or PC Settings?

Open up the "zPC Settings" app in Start, and you'll see they're in the process of making the move.

If it happens, it happens.  Still not an indication the CP is going away...and you have been wrong many times as well.  Why I always use the wait and see approach with things like this.  Otherwise, things can come back and bite ya.

Change is scary - and often is not taken very well, especially if it affects the favored group or class - I definitely get that.  All I am trying to do with my comments (and opinions) is get past that fear so the changes can be looked at logically.  I may not change ANY minds - however, if I can change one, than I've accomplished what I set out to do - get folks past the fear of change and look AT that change logically.

Yes, some people dont like change.  But then you have the Start Screen which made it difficult for a lot of users.  Especially on the desktop.  As long as they continue to listen to the users, which currently they are, then a switch away from the CP should be accepted.

zPC Settings has all the things that are due to be implemented in the PC Settings and that includes a good portion of the Control Panel so, yes, I would expect most if not all the Control Panel items will be in PC Settings by the time Windows 10 hits final release.

It makes sense that the desktop Control Panel is being depreciated seeing as ARM tablets running Windows 10 won't have the desktop.

On the flipside, once all those items are integrated into PC Settings is there really any debate beyond the stylings/size of the 'windowed' version from what the CP is right now?  That would have been a much better poll - who doesn't think PC Settings will replace CP eventually?  Anyone?  The current CP already largely telegraphs the very changes we are seeing occur with PC Settings.

Will those proponents of the current PC Settings still feel the same way once this process is complete?  I assume not since most seem to like PC Settings because it has less options and is stupid big, two things that will most likely change.  Seems many of that crowd simply have their own share of bias towards complexity and would appear to be content with something as dumbed down as the System Preferences menu in OS X.

I'm more interested in when WP will share those 'settings' containers and integration of items (like activation/info) from System Properties than prematurely 'killing' the CP on Desktop.

The activation popup has actually said go to pc settings since windows 8.

Right, but the fact it hasn't appeared in the classic Control Panel is telling.

On the flipside, once all those items are integrated into PC Settings is there really any debate beyond the stylings/size of the 'windowed' version from what the CP is right now?  That would have been a much better poll - who doesn't think PC Settings will replace CP eventually?  Anyone?  The current CP already largely telegraphs the very changes we are seeing occur with PC Settings.

I don't believe that would have been a better poll. It has been known since Windows 8.1 was released that Microsoft intended to improve the state of PC Settings; the application was improved as recently as the August Update for Windows 8.1. This poll, however, is about a user's preferred method of interaction?the Control Panel or PC Settings?and assuming that the Control Panel is retained after Windows 10 is released to manufacturing, the poll will still be relevant.

Will those proponents of the current PC Settings still feel the same way once this process is complete?  I assume not since most seem to like PC Settings because it has less options and is stupid big, two things that will most likely change.  Seems many of that crowd simply have their own share of bias towards complexity and would appear to be content with something as dumbed down as the System Preferences menu in OS X.

Just what are you basing this opinion on? I do not recall a single Neowin proponent of the PC Settings application heaping praise on it because of its size or its simplicity. The response has been quite the opposite, in fact, with most members preferring the Control Panel over PC Settings because of the very reasons you mentioned; even those who prefer PC Settings admit that it could be improved. You will notice this if you look at the responses to this poll.

As PC user, i don't want to see any "Pc Setting". Need a fresh new control panel. In fact for pc users, i want metro apps completely removed.

As PC user, i don't want to see any "Pc Setting". Need a fresh new control panel. In fact for pc users, i want metro apps completely removed.

Thank God that's not happening. I'm sorry, but it's time for the PC to evolve past a static workstation. :)

Right, but the fact it hasn't appeared in the classic Control Panel is telling.

It never was in Classic Control panel.  Even in Windows 7.  Was in Computer Properties.  All this shows is that it is being moved from Computer Properties to PC Settings.  And like others mentioned, its been in PC Settings since Win8.

Thank God that's not happening. I'm sorry, but it's time for the PC to evolve past a static workstation. :)

What? Those metro features can be disabled then it becomes a desktop.  

Look at the settings, if you don't believe me.

It never was in Classic Control panel.  Even in Windows 7.  Was in Computer Properties.  All this shows is that it is being moved from Computer Properties to PC Settings.

I know. But If Microsoft was interested in keep around the old Control Panel, we would have seen evidence of that by now.

I know. But If Microsoft was interested in keep around the old Control Panel, we would have seen evidence of that by now.

What, the fact that CP still exists in Win10 isnt evidence enough?  The things you are providing to proof/push the notion that CP is going away is really not proof or evidence at all.  CP may very well go away, but you have to do much better than to list something that never existed in CP to begin with and that currently exists in Win8.

I like PC Settings if it's not an endless mess of settings like on Windows Phone.

It really just depends on how well they can organize it and have some cues to help me find what I want fast.

I use the start screen/menu. quick search for the setting I'm looking for and voil?! no need to look for anything in a menu.

but yeah... the control panel as it is is a mess. you never know where or what to look for. and when you finally find something about the topic, it's probably onto another page anyway!!!

What, the fact that CP still exists in Win10 isnt evidence enough?

What is it evidence of? It's there, but it's hidden. Everything is run through PC Settings.

What, the fact that CP still exists in Win10 isnt evidence enough?  The things you are providing to proof/push the notion that CP is going away is really not proof or evidence at all.  CP may very well go away, but you have to do much better than to list something that never existed in CP to begin with and that currently exists in Win8.

To be fair to Dot, the fact that the option has not not been added to the Control Panel suggests that it will eventually be phased out.

A reasonable assumption, I think.

Prefer "PC settings," although I'd just call it "Settings" and merge it with Control Panel. Get rid of the latter entirely, especially if Microsoft isn't going to fix the legacy icons and behaviors that it has.

What is it evidence of? It's there, but it's hidden. Everything is run through PC Settings.

Control Panel is hidden?  Its available in the all apps list on the start screen since Win8.  Then it was added to the start button as a right click menu.  Then it was added to the new start menu.  And everything is not run thru PC Settings...at least not everything that is in the CP isnt.  Which would need to be since the CP is a central location to locate most/all PC settings that can be configed on a system.

To be fair to Dot, the fact that the option has not not been added to the Control Panel suggests that it will eventually be phased out.

A reasonable assumption, I think.

The fact that it never was added to the CP since...ever....shows that its pretty much useless to assume based on this one little thing.4

Replace the CP..great...better make sure the same options are there or else it will have blow back and be another screw up like removing the start menu.

I am not arguing that the CP may go away...it very well may...I am just saying that this is no proof or even a sign that it is.

No more hidden than in Windows 8.