Control Panel or PC Settings?

Which do you prefer?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Control Panel or PC Settings?

I can't find the words to express how much I HATE Metro interfaces.

They seem like a stupid attempt to force us to use the UI in Windows Phone in an environment where it doesn't fit or belong.

Can anyone say they prefer the Metro version of "Devices" to the classic "Devices & Printers"?

The only available option in each device is "Remove", FFS! Doesn't anyone notice?

And there's no chance they can cram the full functionality in that screen-wasting design scheme.

Just DROP IT, Microsoft, PLEASE.

Don't gamble again on trying to force feed us that garbage.

You already did it on Windows 8 and you lost.

Get over it.

Control Panel is hidden?  Its available in the all apps list on the start screen since Win8.  Then it was added to the start button as a right click menu.  Then it was added to the new start menu.  And everything is not run thru PC Settings...at least not everything that is in the CP isnt.  Which would need to be since the CP is a central location to locate most/all PC settings that can be configed on a system.

Yes. On a default install, PC Settings is pinned to Start, Control Panel isn't. You have to go looking for it to access it.

I voted PC settings, I use it a little more than CP. I would prefer using it to CP, however I would like to see improvements to both. On one hand I would like to be easier for the general public to change the basic setting with PC settings but still allow the advanced ones being in CP.

That said anyone who calls CP perfect and doesn't need to be changed is probably borderline insane.

Example, wanna change the time? Click on the clock, click, change time and date settings then click another button change date and time. Really? PC settings at least gets you there in two clicks of the mouse.

Its when windows from the pre Vista era that open up which really bugs like, mouse, sound and advanced Display settings. Why cant they use the current wind they all ready have open?

The flow of the Vista CP (in category mode) and the PC settings (post 8.1) work in a similar method, click an item and you are led to another etc. Granted Settings could do with a spruce up with more settings but this is something they are obviously working on. They are probably better off keeping CP around until Settings can do the same as what CP has today.

Can anyone say they prefer the Metro version of "Devices" to the classic "Devices & Printers"?

The only available option in each device is "Remove", FFS! Doesn't anyone notice?

And there's no chance they can cram the full functionality in that screen-wasting design scheme.

I don't think anyone here has said that they prefer Devices over the previous Devices & Printers applet. As you can see, most proponents of PC Settings want the application to be improved. There are other members who want other UI elements of Metro to show more information. You make it sound like those who prefer, or at least like Metro don't want the UI to improve.

Example, wanna change the time? Click on the clock, click, change time and date settings then click another button change date and time. Really? PC settings at least gets you there in two clicks of the mouse.

Its when windows from the pre Vista era that open up which really bugs like, mouse, sound and advanced Display settings. Why cant they use the current wind they all ready have open?

The flow of the Vista CP (in category mode) and the PC settings (post 8.1) work in a similar method, click an item and you are led to another etc. Granted Settings could do with a spruce up with more settings but this is something they are obviously working on. They are probably better off keeping CP around until Settings can do the same as what CP has today.

Time is two clicks from either, I don't follow that one.

Mouse, Sound, Advanced Display because they are more complex controls.  Where did this impression that tabbed settings windows are 'Vista-era' come from?  PC Settings is a continuation of the same category idea.  The disagreement seems to be how you separate a basic/category view from an advanced view.  Many PC Settings proponents seem to be arguing for a pop-up less, long list style.

There is also disagreement on how very far we are from that goal.  Add a printer by IP in PC Settings for example.

I generally don't hit anymore than five items via CP, yet PC Settings does little to simplify that either.  (Updates, Uninstall, Devices, Users)  Look at the Devices pane, so many useless entries that should just be in PC Info, yet gives little control over the devices you do want to work with.

Should Modern add top sub-category tabs?

What? Those metro features can be disabled then it becomes a desktop.  

Look at the settings, if you don't believe me.

And that's how it should be - based on user preference.

If they can make it as useful as the control panel I would prefer PC settings. Control Panel currently is a mixture of newer and 95 era widgets (ie Mouse Settings) which just look bad. But the current PC Settings doesn't look good either. With a lot more polish it can get there though.

If they can make it as useful as the control panel I would prefer PC settings. Control Panel currently is a mixture of newer and 95 era widgets (ie Mouse Settings) which just look bad. But the current PC Settings doesn't look good either. With a lot more polish it can get there though.

95 era widget?  Please elaborate on that one.  Its the same as any settings window?

post-5317-0-85730000-1414185519.png

95 era widget?  Please elaborate on that one.  Its the same as any settings window?

attachicon.gifcap2.PNG

Both of those windows date back to Windows 95.

The Desktop itself dates back to Windows 95, what kind of master of the obvious statement is that?  A few posters seem to be asserting that some parts of the CP are still the '95' era version or different in some fundamental way.

The Desktop itself dates back to Windows 95, what kind of master of the obvious statement is that?  A few posters seem to be asserting that some parts of the CP are still the '95' era version or different in some fundamental way.

Because they are. The design principles that these windows are made from stem from the 90s era. It's time to dump them.

win95-1-1.png

Duh?  Its an integral component of the Desktop metaphor.  Dump them for what?  OS X has it and of which Modern still doesn't have a replacement for...hence the debate around the CP.

Right now one of the biggest messes/questions is what happens with the app charms and if it can be used for such purpose.  Its a cluster right now with the Action menu anchored on the left and flyout right.

Or should all the popout windows just overlay the entire active app?

post-5317-0-28966400-1414188506.png

Duh?  Its an integral component of the Desktop metaphor.  Dump them for what?  OS X has it and of which Modern still doesn't have a replacement for...hence the debate around the CP.

Right now one of the biggest messes/questions is what happens with the app charms and if it can be used for such purpose.  Its a cluster right now with the Action menu anchored on the left and flyout right.

zPC Settings has mouse properties. Everything looks be integrated into one centralized location in Windows 10. Hopefully, we've seen the last of these nasty pop ups.

And no, endless pop ups are not part of the desktop metaphor. They're a UX nightmare, as everything is scattered to Hell and back in WIndows. It's a mess. These windows should have died off a long time ago. They're a relic of a bygone era. They didn't fit the AERO scheme, and they don't certainly fit the Metro scheme.

post-420821-0-76961800-1414188571.png

Mouse and keyboard settings are still in two places with no linkage so there is still a ways to go for consistency.

It seems that the simple act of making the settings panes full screen is your qualm, as you hate windows, or do you have a better explanation for such zeal?  While different, I don't see how making those same conf options launch from a list of sub-links and locking them to the entire app window vs a popout makes it less scattered or more intuitive.  You still click something to have the interface change to show a more detailed series of sub-selections.  It also feels at odds with Charms.

How is modern going to deal with the multiple layers that you find scattered? (Say a setting that is in the 2nd or 3rd connected windows)  An overlay of an overlay of an overlay?  Move them all up  like on Start so instead of endless popups, we have a WP situation of endless single column lists?

How is modern going to deal with the multiple layers that you find scattered? (Say a setting that is in the 2nd or 3rd connected windows)  An overlay of an overlay of an overlay?  Move them all up  like on Start so instead of endless popups, we have a WP situation of endless single column lists?

I like how PC Setting is laid out. It takes those annoying pop ups and unifies them into one centralized location. There is no third layer. Choose a section, and then find the setting you're looking for.

I've also noticed that in Windows 8.1, PC Settings had a link at the bottom for the Control Panel. In Windows 10 b9860, that link has been removed.

There is no third layer.

There already kind of is.  The main settings, overlay, and linked screens. There will need to be to handle the complexity of the Control Panel unless you like long lists.  They are still in the same relative locations.  Beyond your zealotous hatred of a 'pop out' settings window, its the same thing but worse (for now).

What Modern framework has been provided to say printer manufacturers to give users the ability to access their complex configuration options without that relic?