Which is the best cheapest SSD?

Hi,

Quick question, since i'm not familiar with the current SSD market and I need 1 for pendrive purposes, since and SSD in same size is about same price as a pendrive.

Following options in 64GB:

ADATA ASP600S3-64GM-C
$53.52

These are 128GB:

Samsung EVO Basic 840 (MZ-7TE120BW)

$91.08

Kingston HyperX FURY (SHFS37A/120G)

$91.08

Kingston SV300S37A/120G

$78.10

ADATA ASP900S3-128GM-C

$83.04

Adata Premier Pro ASP920SS3-128GM-C SP920SS

$89.00

To be franky, I'm tempting to go with either the 64GB Adata SSD, which is really slow in writing, but I guess a pendrive in same price would be even worse. Or simple go with the value line of Kingston, 78 bucks for 120GB is not bad, or is it?

FYI: I'm going to hook it up on a router, it will run 24/7 as SFTP, Cloud storage.

Thanks in advance for the purchase tips.

never heard of Adata (which could be but probably isn't a good thing)

of the ones you have listed the Samsung EVO is probably the best but I would recommend looking up the Crucial MX100. it's got the best performance for its price

Class - are these US prices ?  They arent that great.

Why those ?
Why not other brands ?

As others have stated, its tough to beat the price:performance of crucial's MX100 line.... cheap,fast, & reliable - whats not too love ?>

I've put loads of 120GB Evos in customers computers. Everyone is happy. I have one in my system too. If its 250gigs you want though then its hard to beat the MX100.

Hello,

I have used a few Kingston SSDs and USB flash drives.  They work and no problems noted.

I have used one AData SSD and lots of their USB flash drives.  They also worked fine.

I have used more of the Samsung and Crucial SSDs and they all seemd to work fine, as well.

So, basically, I do not have one strong recommendation over the others, based on reliability or performance.  Given this, I would suggest looking at other issues, like length of warranty and whether support seems good or not.

Also, are you sure you don't want to use a slower (but larger) external HDD with the router? 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

As far as "pendrive"

I doubt that is helpful since you are looking for cheap things

You ask for SSD on a stick ?  I give you the insanely fast 128GB Voayger GTX - $120.00

post-508501-0-38044000-1413354148.jpg

450MB/sec reads, 350MB/sec writes

What's the interface that you're using to hook this drive into the router?

Tomato by Shibby. It's very reliable and it has some build-in features. Like FTP hosting, Transmissions, etc.

*not as many features as DD-WRT*

Class - are these US prices ?  They arent that great.

Why those ?

Why not other brands ?

As others have stated, its tough to beat the price:performance of crucial's MX100 line.... cheap,fast, & reliable - whats not too love ?>

These are in my local PC store. This is the cheapest store, prices go only up. I would get Crucial, since so many people recommend it, but it's in none of the stores, and if I need to pay postage for it, then i'm better off with a cheaper.

Prices were not US, I just simply converted prices from my currency to US dollar, so people have a better feel for it.

Hello,

I have used a few Kingston SSDs and USB flash drives.  They work and no problems noted.

I have used one AData SSD and lots of their USB flash drives.  They also worked fine.

I have used more of the Samsung and Crucial SSDs and they all seemd to work fine, as well.

So, basically, I do not have one strong recommendation over the others, based on reliability or performance.  Given this, I would suggest looking at other issues, like length of warranty and whether support seems good or not.

Also, are you sure you don't want to use a slower (but larger) external HDD with the router? 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks for the deep thoughts. :)

Slower, but larger? ...what do you mean by that? I don't want to hoop up a regular HDD, coz those usually won't last too lung under 24/7 pressure. Previously I was using HDD, but usually after 2-3 years their head just falls of or simply starts to clatter. So flash is the way I think.

To be honest I wanted to get a simple cheap pendrive, but those are equal prices with SSD-s now, pretty much. 64GB pendrive is about 5% cheaper then the counter SSD. So....are pendrives more reliable then SSD-s?

For the suggested prices you can also get USB3 2TB drives.

I don't know how you will hook up the pen drives, but I'm assuming via USB. In that case you gain nothing in performance when using SSD or pen drives, as the USB port will be your bottleneck.

I have used all those brands myself and never had any problems with them, so there is not a particular reason I would recommend either one.

The past years I have been bying Kingston and liked them quite a bit, so I would go with them iver the others.

As far as "pendrive"

You ask for SSD on a stick ?  I give you the insanely fast 128GB Voayger GTX - $120.00

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Does it have rewritable firmware? :)

Tomato by Shibby. It's very reliable and it has some build-in features. Like FTP hosting, Transmissions, etc.

*not as many features as DD-WRT*

I meant USB vs SATA I/II/III vs other. There are bandwidth limits that would result in a bottleneck via interface rather than the drive's performance, rendering the speed of an SSD, for example, moot.

Be careful of  AData. I have read reviews that it dies quicker than any other SSD in the market. Could the reviews be wrong? Go search for Adata on Amazon and find out yourself. 

Also look for most reviewed/ purchased SSD on newegg or Amazon. That might give you the idea about popular SSD and the best seller SSD. and Of-course, you could always narrow down to your budget ;)

As far as "pendrive"

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Just ordered one. I had no idea something like this was on the market. I've been using a Patriot Rage for 2 years and it's been awesome.

Just ordered one. I had no idea something like this was on the market. I've been using a Patriot Rage for 2 years and it's been awesome.

Yeah its brand new, been on market for 1 month, I ordered the 128GB, which did you get ?

Yeah its brand new, been on market for 1 month, I ordered the 128GB, which did you get ?

I also bought the 128GB for $120 through Amazon. It will be here Friday with my Amazon Prime.

I meant USB vs SATA I/II/III vs other. There are bandwidth limits that would result in a bottleneck via interface rather than the drive's performance, rendering the speed of an SSD, for example, moot.

It's a ASUS Router. So it has 2x USB 2.0 holes.

Hi,

Quick question, since i'm not familiar with the current SSD market and I need 1 for pendrive purposes, since and SSD in same size is about same price as a pendrive.

Following options in 64GB:

These are 128GB:

To be franky, I'm tempting to go with either the 64GB Adata SSD, which is really slow in writing, but I guess a pendrive in same price would be even worse. Or simple go with the value line of Kingston, 78 bucks for 120GB is not bad, or is it?

FYI: I'm going to hook it up on a router, it will run 24/7 as SFTP, Cloud storage.

Thanks in advance for the purchase tips.

So why are you getting an SSD?  You will be limited to USB speeds and therefore limited to mechanical disk speeds.  Just get a cheap 500GB external notbook drive.

It's a ASUS Router. So it has 2x USB 2.0 holes.

I'd get ANY USB drive, USB 2.0 won't really take advantage of the speeds of the SSD as USB 2.0 won't keep up.

USB 2.0 I think was 480Mbps (60MBps) and most SSD's are usually 200MBps R/W or better. SATA2 is upto 300MB/s with spindle drives in enclosures so I would go with one of those. You'll get a lot more storage, similar performance and same costs.