Which is the best cheapest SSD?

So why are you getting an SSD?  You will be limited to USB speeds and therefore limited to mechanical disk speeds.  Just get a cheap 500GB external notbook drive.

I think you missed the part of 24/7, and also the fact that USB pendrives cost the same as SSD-s, whereby if I'm not mistaken, SSD are more reliable then pendrives.

I'd get ANY USB drive, USB 2.0 won't really take advantage of the speeds of the SSD as USB 2.0 won't keep up.

USB 2.0 I think was 480Mbps (60MBps) and most SSD's are usually 200MBps R/W or better. SATA2 is upto 300MB/s with spindle drives in enclosures so I would go with one of those. You'll get a lot more storage, similar performance and same costs.

Speed is not the factor. Reliability is. On my scale it's like HDD < Pendrive < SSD. I know the fact that HDD offers more space, but to have data stored securely and safely, I'm not sure if an HDD won't smoke up after 2-3 years of constant spinning. I've had HDD running under high load and stuff, and sofar every drive died. So that why I go with SSD. Not because of storage. Not because of speed.

SO HERE IS THE FINAL SHOWDOWN of what to pick, I've just got a small price reduction in 1 store. So they ship me the stuff for +2$. I'm seriously tempted to with the kingston drive for 68$, since it's numbers show better write and read performance. But since a bunch of people recommended the M500 Crucial, with is like 70$, almost the same, but that drive has terrible write speed, but damn good read spead. No clue with could last longer. Any help?

Crucial 120GB M500 CT120M500SSD1

70$

Kingston 120GB SV300S37A/120G

68$

Sandisk 128GB SDSSDHP-128G-G25

Sandisk 128GB SATAIII SDSSDP-128G

77.6$

Crucial 128GB SATA3 MX100 CT128MX100SSD1

83$

Samsung 120GB EVO MZ-7TE120BW

83$

Yeah missed that in your post.  SSD are definitely more reliable than usb flash drive but I wouldn't say they are more reliable than mechanical yet.  I've seen quite a few fail.  When they fail they die completely.  Even modern drives have failed.  Nothing terrible but still they do have failures at least equal to enterprise mechanical from what I see.

The realistic case is that every drive, whether spinning or solid state, will count duds among its members, so IMO an AV type or WD Red (for example) mechanical drive still offers a better value with respect to storage capacity and price, excluding physical insults.

Regarding your readings on read speed of the disk, it is basically inconsequential, as file transfer over USB will not get anywhere near those speeds anyway. You may as well go with the cheapest or most attractive warranty, since reliability for individual drives is difficult to predict, and they are all going to perform the same anyway.

• Like 2

I'd get ANY USB drive, USB 2.0 won't really take advantage of the speeds of the SSD as USB 2.0 won't keep up.

USB 2.0 I think was 480Mbps (60MBps) and most SSD's are usually 200MBps R/W or better. SATA2 is upto 300MB/s with spindle drives in enclosures so I would go with one of those. You'll get a lot more storage, similar performance and same costs.

USB can't even keep up with mechanical HD.

My external mechanical HD is faster with eSata than USB 2.

Kingston SV300S37A/120G

$78.10

I'll throw in a vote for the Kingston, purely as I have a Kingston 128GB SSD, and so far, so good

For pen/flash drives, I'll refrain as I know there are users here who are better suited to answer that question

Esh... so much contention over something so simple....

http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Enhanced-Ventura-SSD-Speed-MKNUFDVU120GB/dp/B00FSAHH5I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413848872&sr=8-2&keywords=mushkin+usb+ventura+ultra

Mushkin Ventura Ultra....  445 MB/s read speeds from a USB 3 drive with SSD stability and SSD pricing.

This beats anything anyone has even listed in the thread.

The Samsung 840 EVO gets my vote. I have three of them. Benchmarks are over 500 MB/s R/W for large block transfers:

Samsung_840_EVO.jpg

I also have one mounted in and external USB3 hub. Full system image backups/restorals (SSD to SSD) take about 2 minutes and 30 seconds. 

Note: I did not install the associated software.

Good luck with you decision.

w10

Samsung EVO Basic 840 (MZ-7TE120BW)

-after the firmware update due today-

I know I suggested this but I would go this route now:

Crucial 128GB SATA3 MX100 CT128MX100SSD1

83$

• Like 2