Jimquisition: Ubisoft Talks Bollocks About Framerate And Resolution

Ubisoft have no one to blame but themselves.

Also, Jim really needs to do an episode covering the other developers using similar excuses. Its not an isolated issue.

Yeah, Rockstar said the same thing about GTA V on PS4/X1, "30 fps is cinematic"

Where did they say that?

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/42307/20141005/gta-v-ps4-1080p-30fps.htm

Cyberland reports that Rockstar is going for the 'cinematic' feel for the GTA V PS4 and Xbox One and they believe that 30 fps is the way to go.

However some gamers over at Reddit aren't convinced with Rockstar's excuse and they claim it could be that the next gen consoles hardware can't run GTA V at 60 fps.

"Going for the cinematic look is the worst excuse they could make! Why don't they just admit that the PS4 can't handle games at 60 fps? I'm getting the PC version for sure. At least I know it's going to run at 60 fps" says ElLocoPoco at Reddit.

Yeah, Rockstar said the same thing about GTA V on PS4/X1, "30 fps is cinematic"

That is total crap. The only reason why it is 30fps is because the consoles are so bloody terrible.

That doesn't seem very legit to me. That site seems have alot of bogus stories, purely to get views from search engines.

That is total crap. The only reason why it is 30fps is because the consoles are so bloody terrible.

Let see how many Pc gamers can run GTA V at a stable 60fps.

If the port is as bad as GTA IV then probably not very many. Modern PCs are more than capable of running a game like GTA V at 60fps and at a significantly higher fidelity level than the next-gen consoles - the only issue is whether the developers are competent enough. Given Rockstar's contempt for PC gamers I'm really not optimistic.

• Like 3

Honesty. How hard is it to be honest?

"We locked it at 30 FPS because it is a current gen consoles are very limited in terms of power"

Why is the above statement hard?

If the port is as bad as GTA IV then probably not very many. Modern PCs are more than capable of running a game like GTA V at 60fps and at a significantly higher fidelity level than the next-gen consoles - the only issue is whether the developers are competent enough. Given Rockstar's contempt for PC gamers I'm really not optimistic.

Essentially this is the issue.

GTA V does not look that good and, compared to other AAA titles, should require fairly standard hardware to run.

That is, if Rockstar gives us quality instead of a "cinematic port"

• Like 3

My i7-4790K, 16GB RAM, SSD, and GTX 970 are ready. :D

(Never been able to spoil myself before lol)

As a PC gamer, I don't have some sort of vendetta against Rockstar for going where the money's at. That much is obvious and PR is PR. What do you want them to say? That the PS4 is crappy and the Xbox One even crappier solutions to such a huge game? Yeah, that's a smart move that'll get you rich...

As for Ubisoft, gamers might be more forgiving of generic PR statements if their games could actually back them up.

Well I think if you can 60 without turning a single shadow down or other graphical features then you should go for it.  But in the end the person designing the game has an idea of what he wants and how he wants it to feel and i do believe sometimes 30fps  has a better feel for the particular game but sometimes i think that excuse is abused. 

I also think though if you are not dealing with a racer or fps then lighting textures and shadows come way before 60fps  and if you can squeeze more of that out of 30fps and 900p then I say just stfu and go for it and dont tell us.  It would be interesting to see one of these producers show a video comparison of the same scene they have at 1080 60 running at 900 30 and see how much better the "cinematic" feel is.  I know on my computer anytime its ever come down to ultra settings or resolution-frame rates I have ALWAYS chose ultra settings. Resolution is the first thing lowered to whatever gets me a steady 30.

edit: Just wanted to add from the post above that I had no idea the 900 series was out! Where have I been?  Well I prolly shouldnt waste the money upgrade right now as i just went big the last round but i know i will before the year is out....

As a PC gamer, I don't have some sort of vendetta against Rockstar for going where the money's at. That much is obvious and PR is PR.

Most developers release multiplatform titles simultaneously on console and PC, yet Rockstar has taken over a year with GTA V. That's simply unacceptable, especially after the terrible port of GTA IV (which was also delayed). Either Rockstar is accepting money from Microsoft and/or Sony to prioritise consoles or they are incompetent, as there is no reason why a massive multi-billion dollar AAA franchise like GTA should be delayed on PC.

As a consumer I have no intention of supporting a company that shows such disrespect for my chosen platform, especially if it turns out to be a bad port. Other people are free to do as they please.

• Like 3

Most developers release multiplatform titles simultaneously on console and PC, yet Rockstar has taken over a year with GTA V. That's simply unacceptable, especially after the terrible port of GTA IV (which was also delayed). Either Rockstar is accepting money from Microsoft and/or Sony to prioritise consoles or they are incompetent, as there is no reason why a massive multi-billion dollar AAA franchise like GTA should be delayed on PC.

As a consumer I have no intention of supporting a company that shows such disrespect for my chosen platform, especially if it turns out to be a bad port. Other people are free to do as they please.

especially if it runs well on the PS4 & ONE there REALLY is no excuse for a bad PC port as both those consoles run off x86 now so there's less that has to be done to port the game

Why oh why are people raging about this. I don't care really. Most of the games I play I don't even know what resolution or FPS they're running at.

God, you really are upset about it aren't you.

I bet you'll buy it.

Why oh why are people raging about this. I don't care really. Most of the games I play I don't even know what resolution or FPS they're running at.

Because many of us do care about framerate and resolution and can tell the difference. That's especially true for PC gamers, who spend more on hardware and expect more as a result. Take Alien: Isolation - on the PC it supports 60fps or higher; on the XB1 and PS4 it is limited to 30fps because that's all they can manage. That's fine but for a developer to claim that 30fps is better is simply offensive.

Running at 30fps isn't an aesthetic decision, it's a performance constraint.

Kind of scratching my head at this one. GTAIV is a terrible port, yet want no delays with GTAV. You can't have both, can you?

You're also talking about a year in between releases, yet the PS4 and Xbox One don't even have the game. It's not a matter of giving PC gamers the stick, especially if we're going to be the ones with the better looking product.

I think we're undervaluing the scale of GTAV. It's rather huge, including but not limited to GTAV Online which kind of took storm better than I think many of us expected (at least I didn't anticipate such hype). Things aren't exactly 1:1 between consoles and PC, however the PS4 and Xbox One definitely bring things closer. I can easily see this as a good reason why PC gamers would have to wait for the current generation consoles just to get the bulk of the work out of the way.

If I'm reading it right, the PC version should follow 2 months after the PS4/Xbox One. Is that really a huge deal? I didn't care about Bethesda's stupid Xbox deal back with the Elder Scrolls for instance. At the end of the day, the PC master race will still have modding capabilities, which for the Elder Scrolls and GTA is pretty damn awesome.

Kind of scratching my head at this one. GTAIV is a terrible port, yet want no delays with GTAV. You can't have both, can you?

Every other publisher manages it. So yes, we can have both but Rockstar is either greedy or incompetent - neither of which I want to support.

You're also talking about a year in between releases, yet the PS4 and Xbox One don't even have the game. It's not a matter of giving PC gamers the stick, especially if we're going to be the ones with the better looking product.

GTA V was released in September last year, while the PC release is due early next year - that's well over a year. As for the PS4 and XB1, they're new consoles so they delayed it in order to have a wider install base.

I think we're undervaluing the scale of GTAV. It's rather huge, including but not limited to GTAV Online which kind of took storm better than I think many of us expected (at least I didn't anticipate such hype). Things aren't exactly 1:1 between consoles and PC, however the PS4 and Xbox One definitely bring things closer. I can easily see this as a good reason why PC gamers would have to wait for the current generation consoles just to get the bulk of the work out of the way.

Skyrim was huge yet it was released simultaneously, with extra functionality for the PC version (modding tools).

If I'm reading it right, the PC version should follow 2 months after the PS4/Xbox One. Is that really a huge deal?

We're NOT talking about the PS4 / XB1 versions, we're talking about the PC version in relation to the original release. Other developers have been providing 'next-gen' visuals on PC for years before the 'next-gen' consoles. Even if you accept the argument that this version is completely different, which it isn't, then there is no excuse for the delay on PC.

Every other publisher manages it. So yes, we can have both but Rockstar is either greedy or incompetent - neither of which I want to support.

Greed and incompetence aren't mutually exclusive. R* could be both.  :rofl:

• Like 1

I have both consoles XB1/PS4 and i feel they are a let in someways. Both should be running 1080p 60fps games. There is nothing next gen about them other then feeling these are a S version of the iPhone!

GTA V was released in September last year, while the PC release is due early next year - that's well over a year. As for the PS4 and XB1, they're new consoles so they delayed it in order to have a wider install base.

Skyrim was huge yet it was released simultaneously, with extra functionality for the PC version (modding tools).

We're NOT talking about the PS4 / XB1 versions, we're talking about the PC version in relation to the original release. Other developers have been providing 'next-gen' visuals on PC for years before the 'next-gen' consoles. Even if you accept the argument that this version is completely different, which it isn't, then there is no excuse for the delay on PC.

Every other publisher isn't releasing a $250 million dollar game so it's a bad comparison.

Look, I'd like a PC version just as much as the next person, but I'm not about to crucify a company that's done a great job year after year. They are a company, they are seeking profits, and you'd be naive to think anything differently. That doesn't mean any of this is intentional though, but rather based on prioritization. You serve the ones that pay the bills.

Hell, I do the same thing even in IT, as I'd rather the guys who bring in all the money be taken care of before the jackass in order entry bothers me for the 50 millionth time about her inability to use the software she's paid to know and use.

That's just my outlook on it though. Feels odd having to defend this standpoint honestly. I just thought as PC gamers, we wanted to welcome developers to the platform, to show them that it's far from dead... instead of bitching about release dates. I dunno, just my thoughts. I'll see my way out though and let you guys continue on. My apologies for not being all riled up...

This is the stuff I live for:

nBXZqR3.png